• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 476 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Nibali looked disappointed. Obviously wants to do a race down the mountain as well

1. This event is strictly prohibited participants riding down the hill back to Hualien or to Puli. The organizer is not responsible for any accident after participants cross the finish line.

But there's also this, more dangerous:

Falling rocks in Taroko Gorge is a hazard. Riders are requested to consider these risks before deciding
whether to participate in this event. Riders will be required to sign a risk consent form before taking part in the event.

Re:

Scarponi said:
Shows how quick retirement hits you. Cadel Evans well
Over 10 minutes back. Not even close and he hasn't being blugding on the training
Evans was 10th. You can say a lot about the field, but gaps were absolutely astonishing.

I've seen the last 8km of this event and the coverage was pretty bad. I think it's a shame because I think events like these really have potential, especially as I think they can do the same thing with amateurs and pro's starting together, it can really be organized similarly to marathons in running.

We are complaining about the endurance lacking in the Tour. Give me the great climbers battling out on the Mauna Kea and I'll shut up about it forever.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Scarponi said:
Shows how quick retirement hits you. Cadel Evans well
Over 10 minutes back. Not even close and he hasn't being blugding on the training
Evans was 10th. You can say a lot about the field, but gaps were absolutely astonishing.

I've seen the last 8km of this event and the coverage was pretty bad. I think it's a shame because I think events like these really have potential, especially as I think they can do the same thing with amateurs and pro's starting together, it can really be organized similarly to marathons in running.

We are complaining about the endurance lacking in the Tour. Give me the great climbers battling out on the Mauna Kea and I'll shut up about it forever.
Here's the full race, in English and in HD.

The coverage is not all that bad, it's certainly not a World Tour production but then you don't have to listen to Carlton Kirby either... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgyopaTNjHo

Nibali beat a field full of riders that don't come close to the class of Nibali, outside of Cadel Evans and he's been retired for years. Gaimon was 5th, that should tell us all we need to know about the competition. Nibali could have won by 10 minutes or more if he wanted to, he just rode with enough power to win and nothing like the power he put out in the Vuelta. IMO

[flash=320,200]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgyopaTNjHo[/flash]

It was nothing more than sponsor duties, publicity, tourism in Japan and Taiwan and having some fun climbing 100k to 3200m with bro Antonio and cousin Cosimo. Given his fitness (he is still very thin) and form I don't think there was any doubt that he'll win the race breathing exclusively through the nose.

So, I have been thinking about what the 2018 Tour looks like for Nibali, assuming he rides it. If Froome is the rider to beat, which seems reasonable enough, then the head-to-head in this year's Vuelta would be a place to start in terms of assessing what is likely to happen.

Nibali lost about 1:20 between the TTT and the ITT, over a combined 50K or so, about :20 over 13K in TTT, and about 1:00 over 40K in ITT. So, over a little more than 30K in the TTT, he seems on track to lose 1:00, and over 30K in ITT, about :45. So he is down 1:45 on that. Assume Froome continues to beat Nibali on murito finishes, so he loses time on the stages to Mur de Bretagne and Mende. Say that adds up to :45, or, being pessimistic, 1:00. That means he has 2:45 to get back on the rest of the stages.

If Nibali is in form that approximates his 2014 performance in the Tour, then the first place to look for him to get time back on Froome is the cobbled stage. I don't think it is reasonable to expect the conditions that prevailed in 2014 to replicate themselves, and Froome did not even make it to the cobbles, so no basis of comparison on that day is available anyway. In 2015 Froome did not have any problems with the cobbles, but that was a much smaller amount of cobbles. So assuming Nibali actually does have an advantage on cobbles, perhaps 1:00 would be what he could hope to gain. The stage to Quimper might offer some options for Nibali, as he did well on the stage to Sheffield, but that gained him two seconds, plus bonuses if they apply. So we are up to a minute and ten seconds in a fairly best case scenario.

That leaves a minute and a half he needs to pick up on the rest of the stages, which effectively means the mountains. In the last week of the Vuelta, setting aside the time Nibali lost on Angliru as a function of his crash on the previous descent, Nibali picked up forty seconds on Los Machucos, but gave back twenty seconds the next day. So there is some precedent for Nibali gaining time on Froome in the last week of a GT (see also the last week of the 2015 Tour, setting aside the Alpe d'Huez stage, as Nibali lost a chain at the worst possible time.) but that is about twenty second there, so he still needs a minute and ten seconds.

Froome beat Uran by only :50 in the 2017 Tour, but it did not really seem that close. I don't see Nibali beating Froome in the 2018 Tour. Not unless Nibali has 2014 form, and the 2014 form was actually good enough to beat Froome at the time. Nothing in Nibali's recent GT results suggests that is likely to happen, as he has been unable to beat Dumoulin, Quintana, and Froome in his last two GTs. But, if somehow he does manage it, and does it purely on the basis of superior form, then Nibali answers a lot of questions about how strong a GT rider he is. I admit I am hoping he can do it, as it would also put to rest the minimization of his previous Tour win. It just seems like a lot to hope for.

Re:

Summoned said:
So, I have been thinking about what the 2018 Tour looks like for Nibali, assuming he rides it. If Froome is the rider to beat, which seems reasonable enough, then the head-to-head in this year's Vuelta would be a place to start in terms of assessing what is likely to happen.

Nibali lost about 1:20 between the TTT and the ITT, over a combined 50K or so, about :20 over 13K in TTT, and about 1:00 over 40K in ITT. So, over a little more than 30K in the TTT, he seems on track to lose 1:00, and over 30K in ITT, about :45. So he is down 1:45 on that. Assume Froome continues to beat Nibali on murito finishes, so he loses time on the stages to Mur de Bretagne and Mende. Say that adds up to :45, or, being pessimistic, 1:00. That means he has 2:45 to get back on the rest of the stages.

If Nibali is in form that approximates his 2014 performance in the Tour, then the first place to look for him to get time back on Froome is the cobbled stage. I don't think it is reasonable to expect the conditions that prevailed in 2014 to replicate themselves, and Froome did not even make it to the cobbles, so no basis of comparison on that day is available anyway. In 2015 Froome did not have any problems with the cobbles, but that was a much smaller amount of cobbles. So assuming Nibali actually does have an advantage on cobbles, perhaps 1:00 would be what he could hope to gain. The stage to Quimper might offer some options for Nibali, as he did well on the stage to Sheffield, but that gained him two seconds, plus bonuses if they apply. So we are up to a minute and ten seconds in a fairly best case scenario.

That leaves a minute and a half he needs to pick up on the rest of the stages, which effectively means the mountains. In the last week of the Vuelta, setting aside the time Nibali lost on Angliru as a function of his crash on the previous descent, Nibali picked up forty seconds on Los Machucos, but gave back twenty seconds the next day. So there is some precedent for Nibali gaining time on Froome in the last week of a GT (see also the last week of the 2015 Tour, setting aside the Alpe d'Huez stage, as Nibali lost a chain at the worst possible time.) but that is about twenty second there, so he still needs a minute and ten seconds.

Froome beat Uran by only :50 in the 2017 Tour, but it did not really seem that close. I don't see Nibali beating Froome in the 2018 Tour. Not unless Nibali has 2014 form, and the 2014 form was actually good enough to beat Froome at the time. Nothing in Nibali's recent GT results suggests that is likely to happen, as he has been unable to beat Dumoulin, Quintana, and Froome in his last two GTs. But, if somehow he does manage it, and does it purely on the basis of superior form, then Nibali answers a lot of questions about how strong a GT rider he is. I admit I am hoping he can do it, as it would also put to rest the minimization of his previous Tour win. It just seems like a lot to hope for.

both reasonable and unreasonable at the same time :lol:
I am in no way a fan of Nibali but hate it when anyone's wins are marginalized the way his is. He beat everyone in the race. That's all he could do. There is no telling how anyone else would have ridden, and no telling how much more he had in the tank if challenged.

Left collarbone plate removed, the last souvenir from Rio.

dneswxaxkaaplbs.jpg