Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 598 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
Because Nibali's biggest opponents in the biggest races throughout the years have fallen victim to crashes or other kinds of bad luck to a quite extraordinary extent.

And now every time a rider has the hiccups, it's attributed to Nibali.
 
Re:

Lexman said:
maybe Nibali might have a chance to go for GC with no Geraint and no Froomie....and Dumoulin who won't be in topshape at the start of the TdF...
G is out too? I thought he just had a bruising crash.

I also find the voodoo jokes totally off putting. The man can win on his own. But it's all in good fun I'm sure.

A far as Vince going for GC well that was a Tough Giro and he is 34. He has to be tired, so I have no expectations.
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
Vuelta 2010, Igor Anton was en route to win but then he crashed out and Nibali won.
 
Re:

spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
It’s just a forum meme (without an image). Like most memes, they are fun for awhile, until they start to get overused.
 
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
RedheadDane said:
spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
Vuelta 2010, Igor Anton was en route to win but then he crashed out and Nibali won.
....and Froome and Contador both crashing out of the 2014 Tour as overwhelming favorites. And Kruiswijk crashing when in Pink on the second last mountain stage the 2016 Giro.

It does do Nibali a disservice, he had a commanding lead in the Tour before the others crashed, and he utterly dominated the mountains after. And he’s proven his worth over the years in Grand Tours AND monuments, which is so rare in these days of specialists. But as said, it’s all in a bit of fun.
 
Mar 24, 2015
743
1
3,280
Obviously it's not nice thinking of the horrible crash Froome had last week, but I find those "voodoo" jokes on Nibali quite funny, tbh.
And I say it as a true fan of Vincenzo.
 
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Nirvana said:
RedheadDane said:
spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
Vuelta 2010, Igor Anton was en route to win but then he crashed out and Nibali won.
....and Froome and Contador both crashing out of the 2014 Tour as overwhelming favorites. And Kruiswijk crashing when in Pink on the second last mountain stage the 2016 Giro.

It does do Nibali a disservice, he had a commanding lead in the Tour before the others crashed, and he utterly dominated the mountains after. And he’s proven his worth over the years in Grand Tours AND monuments, which is so rare in these days of specialists. But as said, it’s all in a bit of fun.
his so called Vodoo didnt work in 2012 tour, 2013 Vuelta, 2015 Tour, 2017 Giro and Vuelta, 2018 Tour and 2019 Giro
 
Re: Re:

del1962 said:
Leinster said:
Nirvana said:
RedheadDane said:
spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
Vuelta 2010, Igor Anton was en route to win but then he crashed out and Nibali won.
....and Froome and Contador both crashing out of the 2014 Tour as overwhelming favorites. And Kruiswijk crashing when in Pink on the second last mountain stage the 2016 Giro.

It does do Nibali a disservice, he had a commanding lead in the Tour before the others crashed, and he utterly dominated the mountains after. And he’s proven his worth over the years in Grand Tours AND monuments, which is so rare in these days of specialists. But as said, it’s all in a bit of fun.
his so called Vodoo didnt work in 2012 tour, 2013 Vuelta, 2015 Tour, 2017 Giro and Vuelta, 2018 Tour and 2019 Giro
He was outvoodooed. On the other hand he had his fair share of crashes, Olympic gold was there for the taking only 11 km away, last year's Tour accident apart from stopping him to fight for at least a podium ruined his chances in WCRR, Firenze another crash, that's just to name a few. But he is an exceptional bike handler and he finished every Grand Tour he entered except when he was thrown out once and that idiot who took him out last year. It does matter a lot when you want to win something.
 
Re: Re:

Because Nibali's biggest opponents in the biggest races throughout the years have fallen victim to crashes or other kinds of bad luck to a quite extraordinary extent.

And now every time a rider has the hiccups, it's attributed to Nibali.
I don't agree with this. Nibali puts guys on the backfoot not just on climbs but with his risk-taking, skills, racecraft and descending. Steve K crashed after dropping a bit from Nibali and was probably thinking, '*** i better get back on before i lose him on the descent'.
 
Nibali's an outstanding cyclist but weird things do happen around him. No way would I expect he'd be glad for people to be in hospital.

Edit - on the other hand, LRP's Curse of the Illegal Feed is still active. :)
 
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
RedheadDane said:
spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?
Vuelta 2010, Igor Anton was en route to win but then he crashed out and Nibali won.
As far as I can tell, the earliest direct reference to Nibali using voodoo on this board is from the time of the 2013 Giro, when IndianCyclist posited a plan hatched by Nibali in collaboration with Vino and Martinelli:

viewtopic.php?p=1236752#p1236752
 
He should have a good team for the Tour, Teuns, Mohoric, Cortina and Rohan all seem to be in good shape. Those guys, Nibali and Caruso and Colbrelli plus Sieberg are a good team that can support him on the flat stages, the hilly stages, in the mountains and ride a good TTT.
ATM I'd pick Cortina over Haussler in a heartbeat.
 
Apr 16, 2017
221
9
3,045
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
He should have a good team for the Tour, Teuns, Mohoric, Cortina and Rohan all seem to be in good shape. Those guys, Nibali and Caruso and Colbrelli plus Sieberg are a good team that can support him on the flat stages, the hilly stages, in the mountains and ride a good TTT.
ATM I'd pick Cortina over Haussler in a heartbeat.
My preference would have the same four you start with, Nibali and Caruso, and go with Tratnik and one of Pernsteiner, Pibernik, or A. Nibali, though coming off Giro duty may be a bit much for him. There needs to be an additional domestique on the flat stages, thus Tratnik, plus he should be some help in TTT. Sieberg’s history suggests he is not overly likely to finish the Tour, so I am thinking going with younger blood makes sense.
 
I think it all depends on what Vincenzo will decide with Slongo on what he can do and really want out of this Tour. The idea for a race without GC in mind is still on the table. Right now the team looks more like a promising stage hunting gang.
 
Expect he will ride for GC until it is no longer viable or until it starts to look like a viable option
Imagine Tuens, Dennis & Caruso will want a go at a stage or 2 ...which is feasible if the rest of the team are around Nibali in first 2 weeks
 
They have to be contenders for the ttt. And if they do well in that, then by default Nibali will be one of the leading gc riders going into the PdBF stage (he’ll be a minute or so ahead of Pinot, Martin, Uran, Bardet for example)
 
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
SafeBet said:
What makes you believe he can be competitive in two GTs in a row? He has never done that.
He has also never tried that, the 2nd gt was usually just preparation to get ready for a big one day race, so who knows.
As I posted a few pages back, there will be no altitude training, all he does is Livigno, no hard work just trying to keep in shape, with Caruso and joined by their families. In 2016 after Giro and before TdF to prepare the Olympics he did a training camp in San Pellegrino and he was complete crap until the end of the Tour. I guess we'll find out more during and after the Italian Championships but given how he and Slongo operate it's hard to think he'll go for GC in France.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS