• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
just epic
148-PIC368464715.jpg

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Nibali:

“I think I have the same form as I had last year at the Tour, but the Tour is different from the Giro. At the Tour there were fewer possibilities. The finishes were the bottom of hills, there were two time trials totalling 110km. Here the race suits my style.

If that Tour had this Giro's field and conditions he'd have won it... would he then have complained about the limited possibilities and the TT mileage? Nibali's racing style fits wherever the competition is weak. Food for thought and endless discussion.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Boring and sobbing complainers are boring :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't I complain? It's boring to do so, but it's not as dull as Nibali nowadays. He should at least win a stage, or at least act like he's trying to do so.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Probably, but it would not be such a great stage win IMO. A solo win on a MTF, in the snow, now that would be epic. I forget about Alberto's MTT win in the 2011 edition all the time. I only remember Etna because it was epic.

In 10 years, when I think of the 2013 Giro, I want to remember the eventual winner emerging from the fog to win the stage in the snow, solo :cool: I like Visconti and I am happy he won, but it won't be what I'll remember. I'll remember this as the edition there was barely any action on the MTFs:eek: OR something big must happen on stage 19 or 20.

Can't we just wait and see what happens in the rest of the Giro before we start whining about it. Nibali has no reason to attack at this point. He didn't even need to attack yesterday but did. Maybe he will in later mountain stages. I think there is a good chance of that. Lets just wait and see how the rest of the race unfolds before we wright off the whole Giro as a bad race.

LaFlorecita said:
So people can be disappointed by that, right?

People get disappointed because they have unreasonable expectations....there are plenty of races within the race to enjoy if one really likes cycling :)

Not everything is GC. When the strongest guy has the leaders jersey they normally defend. Nibs Attacked yesterday with out really needing to and yet all some people do is whine. Go figure?

I knew that since Wiggo and Hesjedal abandoned I'd have to read once again the usual BS about Nibali always performing well when the field is weak.

Entering the race most people agreed this was the strongest field we've seen here in recent years. Out of the last 7 GTs, 5 have been won by riders who entered this Giro (6 if you count Scarponi). What more do you want?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I knew that since Wiggo and Hesjedal abandoned I'd have to read once again the usual BS about Nibali always performing well when the field is weak.

Entering the race most people agreed this was the strongest field we've seen here in recent years. Out of the last 7 GTs, 5 have been won by riders who entered this Giro (6 if you count Scarponi). What more do you want?

That will always happen. You gotta face Froome and Contador in order that this talk won't happen.

Pentacycle said:
If that Tour had this Giro's field and conditions he'd have won it... would he then have complained about the limited possibilities and the TT mileage? Nibali's racing style fits wherever the competition is weak. Food for thought and endless discussion.

Pentacycle said:
Why shouldn't I complain? It's boring to do so, but it's not as dull as Nibali nowadays. He should at least win a stage, or at least act like he's trying to do so.

Completely agree. Not saying Nibali is a bad rider. But only when the field is weak he is by far the strongest. If he's not the strongest uphill or in the tt, he has to attack on hilly stages like in TA. Now that he's got this race in the bag he's boring as hell. A weak half-hearted attack won't change that.

SafeBet said:

Nibali himself
Scarponi
Evans
Cobo- LOL
A weak Hesjedal
A weak Wiggins
No Berto.

Yup you're right. And I agree that it seems to be a strong field on paper. But Cobo is nowhere, Wiggins and Hesjedal pulled out because of illness/injuries/whatever and Evans and Scarponi are past their prime. It's not a great field when Santambrogio and Uran are two of the three closest competitors.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Fausto said:
It's easy to say that while you are sitting at a desk.

The typical arrogance of people in this forum.

Stop with that ridiculous argument. Attack the points of the poster which isn't really hard btw in this case instead of going ad hominem.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:

The field is not determined by palmares, it's the current form that counts. Among most pre-Giro favourites the latter is lacking. It's what could've been expected after the first week and the weather.

Credits to Nibs for dodging illnesses and bad days, but it's ruined this Giro. A shark in a small pond. One of the most attacking riders has to be dethroned by one who rarely takes risks.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:

Yup. Froome and Bert are focussing on the Tour, as the top guys tend to do. Who are the fantastic GC riders that would make the field good enough for people? The simple truth is that Nibali happens to be top boy atm.

taiwan said:
Yup. Froome and Bert are focussing on the Tour, as the top guys tend to do. Who are the fantastic GC riders that would make the field good enough for people? The simple truth is that Nibali happens to be top boy atm.

It's good that there's a tough GT like this Giro that might be won be a second rate rider. Nice that the true first rate riders give the "also rans" a chance now and again.

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
Stop with that ridiculous argument. Attack the points of the poster which isn't really hard btw in this case instead of going ad hominem.

Full of yourself as usual, it's usless to deal with a pumped ego, just a wasting of time.

I bet you never ran a race. I think I'll stop here.

The only people that could possible challenge Nibbels that aint in the giro atm (or were in the giro but retired):
AC - Would probably beat him (don't know about his tt form though)
Froome - Would probably beat him
Valverde - Would challegne him, but I don't think he would have matched Nibalis tt, and he is not exactly a guy who would take minutes out of Nibali in the high mountians :rolleyes:
Quintana - a real dark horse. Perhaps he could climb with AC and Froome, perhaps not. Perhaps he could tt like he did in Basque, perhpas not.
VDB2 - Scary :D
Kash - his team mate, wouldn't destoy him on purpose, but who knows :p

He would at worst be nr 4 this giro if Quintana is as good as we perhaps expect him to be, and ha doesnt loose time in the first week, wich would not be to unlikely.

At best he could fight for victory, like he allways do :cool:

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
armchairclimber said:
It's good that there's a tough GT like this Giro that might be won be a second rate rider. Nice that the true first rate riders give the "also rans" a chance now and again.

Carry on - who are these first rate guys who would won if they showed up?

TRENDING THREADS