• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maxmartin said:
so I guess Alejandro Valverde will do the same thing he did last year:D, I want to see a proper match between him and Nibali in the Vuelta!
I don't think it works like this, Valverde has peaked for the Tour and now he can't just shut down his form to rebuild for the Vuelta. He's committed already...

Eshnar said:
I don't think it works like this, Valverde has peaked for the Tour and now he can't just shut down his form to rebuild for the Vuelta. He's committed already...

Last year he peaked for the Tour. Said that without Contador he felt it was his best chance to podium. But after the crashes he knew it wasnt on so shut down.

Besides we have other examples. EG Mollema 2011, Gesink last year as well. Also Wiggins 2011. Guys who peaked for the tour but shut down half way and were good in the vuelta. Or in wiggins case peaked, then forced withdrawal.

The Hitch said:
Last year he peaked for the Tour. Said that without Contador he felt it was his best chance to podium. But after the crashes he knew it wasnt on so shut down.

Besides we have other examples. EG Mollema 2011, Gesink last year as well. Also Wiggins 2011. Guys who peaked for the tour but shut down half way and were good in the vuelta.
Valverde didn't shut down early last year, he simply got the peak wrong. He did mean to peak for the Tour but he failed. Was nowhere near his best.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Valverde didn't shut down early last year, he simply got the peak wrong. He did mean to peak for the Tour but he failed. Was nowhere near his best.

then maybe he can repeat the peaking mistake he made last year:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
does he have a time machine? :confused:

what I am saying he did last year, he could well do it again this year. You never know, and I don't your peaking mistake theory is correct or not. This is the first time I heard of it.;)

maxmartin said:
what I am saying he did last year, he could well do it again this year. You never know, and I don't your peaking mistake theory is correct or not. This is the first time I heard of it.;)
He already peaked well for the Tour (we can agree he's in a very good shape) so he can't fail his preparation, it's finished weeks ago :p

Vino attacks everyone said:
Would actually be interesting to see how Nibali will go against arguably the 4th strongest gt rider (after Froome, AC and Nibbles himself). Will be a good indicator for how Nibali would have done in this years tour for sure.

Savoldelli thinks, as reported in la Gazzetta dello Sport today, that only a Nibali in this year's Giro form, would be able to give Froome a run for his money in the Tour now.

Still he'd probably have lost at least a minute in the Mont Saint-Michel TT, though arguably could have hung with Froome on Ax3 Domains. In any case this Tour would be much better in the third week with that Nibali, who would have given Froome much of a headache as he did at Tirreno-Adriatico.

What a pitty it was never meant to be.

rhubroma said:
Savoldelli thinks, as reported in la Gazzetta dello Sport today, that only a Nibali in this year's Giro form, would be able to give Froome a run for his money in the Tour now.

Still he'd probably have lost at least a minute in the Mount Saint Michelle TT, though arguably could have hung with Froome on Ax3 Domains. In any case this Tour would be much better in the third week with that Nibali and would have given Froome much of a headache as he did at Tirreno-Adriatico.

What a pitty it was never meant to be.

Indeed. Nibali is the only one able to really challenge Froome. Maybe next year?

Rollthedice said:
Indeed. Nibali is the only one able to really challenge Froome. Maybe next year?

Well if Contador hadn't gotten busted, he would be too, though Nibali will indeed be at the Tour next year.

Let's hope with his current form, though I'm sure Vino will be giving him just the right motivation and preparation. ;)

Well Nibs will have Valverde on his hands for sure now. Question is, if he backs off now will he be able to carry his current good form to the Vuelta.

Feel sorry for him actually, no one should lose a podium spot due to a bad tire :( But add him to the Vuelta mix looking for podium spot!

Jrod also, he's missed out totally, should just build for a Vuelta run.

But with the guys already pointing for the Vuelta and these 2 added, Nibs better be working on his form :) What is he doing? Any reports on training and his schedule before the Vuelta?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how good lientenant Rolland world be? He sometimes seems a selfish teammate and his climbing ability is somewhat questionable. But it does seem ASTANA is tying to get more men power to help Nibali to win the Tour next year!:D

"Thomas Voeckler and I went our best when we still had a year or tow on our contracts, so we're not mercenaries who wake up six months before their contracts end. I could be a good lieutenant for Nibali but I wouldn't have the same close relationship that I have at Team Europcar, where my colleagues are more like friends."

Carols said:
Well Nibs will have Valverde on his hands for sure now. Question is, if he backs off now will he be able to carry his current good form to the Vuelta.

Feel sorry for him actually, no one should lose a podium spot due to a bad tire :( But add him to the Vuelta mix looking for podium spot!

Jrod also, he's missed out totally, should just build for a Vuelta run.

But with the guys already pointing for the Vuelta and these 2 added, Nibs better be working on his form :) What is he doing? Any reports on training and his schedule before the Vuelta?

piti if anyone deserves that. He didn't wait for Evans in -09... What goes around comes around.

Furthermore, it would have been a sad sight for cycling should both he and AC have been on the podium in Paris.

Walkman said:
piti if anyone deserves that. He didn't wait for Evans in -09... What goes around comes around.

Furthermore, it would have been a sad sight for cycling should both he and AC have been on the podium in Paris.

Don't know what your post has to do with Nibs.... ???

But Valverde and Purito going all in in Le Tour so they most likely won't have the form for Vuelta and Nibs :)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Walkman said:

And Froom on top of the podium is not a sad sight for the cycling? LMAO. Btw, there are AV and AC thread and clinic sections you can discuss these two riders over there.

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
cant see this guy troubling froome in any way whatsoever , TDF 2012 froome pulled him in like a fish when he had to drag wiggins all over france . i think nibali fans are in for a lot of disappointment when these two race against each other .

TRENDING THREADS