• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
airstream said:
If we wanna look at facts, there won't be 4/5 of threads on the forums.
How wise. Facts are the myths that fuel great discussions. Forum entries combust on the interpretations of information we then attribute as facts in order to support our opinions. Like old mistresses, most contributors, discard them after they have use them.
fact.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Dedelou said:
How wise. Facts are the myths that fuel great discussions. Forum entries combust on the interpretations of information we then attribute as facts in order to support our opinions. Like old mistresses, most contributors, discard them after they have use them.
fact.

that's a gem!!!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Dedelou said:
fact.

I think we don't discuss facts there at all because we can not open anything new for each other in terms of facts. The forum is interchange of visions, opinions and assumptions. Posts of great knowlegdeable poster are not built on facts. They are built on vivid intellect and ability to operate with these facts.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
How can criterion of climbing / TTing on one hand and descending on the other one be compared like equivalent factors in terms of GC, guys?..mountain edge is always doomed to embody into real seconds. descending edge almost always takes a rest unused.

Let Froome and Nibali ride a proper 15k+ 7.5+% climb. Nibali willbe thrown into pieces like a puppy and it'll be end of any comparisons.

Are we seriously gonna get this **** on the Nibali thread too? I was feeling kinda bad for the Contador fans. Every-time I looked into that thread u where bashing Contador but now this topic is gonna get spammed with the same "Froome is god, the rider u support is incompetent" BS too?

Damn.

You just need to push the ignore list button and you won't get anything anymore. Try it. I did it one week ago and can't believe it took me so long.

Back to cycling, nihbles positioning in the peloton is almost flawless. He's always aware of what's going on and quick in reacting.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
You just need to push the ignore list button and you won't get anything anymore. Try it. I did it one week ago and can't believe it took me so long.

Back to cycling, nihbles positioning in the peloton is almost flawless. He's always aware of what's going on and quick in reacting.

where is this ignore list button?

maxmartin said:
where is this ignore list button?

Unfortunately it does little good as others quote his constant drivel.....but you can attempt to filter it out by going to usercp--->edit ignore list and adding name there. It does help somewhat :)

Meanwhile Nibs is laying low but always in the right spot. Saturday I guess we see where everyone is :)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Unfortunately it does little good as others quote his constant drivel.....but you can attempt to filter it out by going to usercp--->edit ignore list and adding name there. It does help somewhat :)

Meanwhile Nibs is laying low but always in the right spot. Saturday I guess we see where everyone is :)

thanks for the info, I have no idea forum has this function:)
Sat should give us a glimpse, but I think the real show is the last two weeks. I just hope Basso will not give me a surprise LOL

May 19, 2011
Visit site
"Maybe Nibali wanted to lose the jersey today, but in any case it's Monday's stage that really counts. That's the hardest of the three. But I would have liked a stage win today."

"It's true that me, Nibali and Rodriguez are watching each other closely," Valverde admitted. "But it's Monday that really matters."

Nibali now is in the best GC position:D

marco.t

BANNED
Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Nibali looks like he's carefully measuring his efforts so far.
Resisting to the temptation of racing and chasing every little group at the front.
From what we're seeing, to me it's obvious that he's riding with a bigger picture in his mind. Florence occupies the most prominent place on that picture, but it could become a surreal piece, situating Florence in Spanish landscape, if everything falls in place.

Pippo_San said:
I don't buy it. I believe Nibs would really like to be there for the win, yet he still misses that top fitness needed.
Third week could (not guaranteed) change everything, but you got to wonder if it'll become too little too late.

Wait till third week. Everybody who is strong now and whoever did the TDF will weaken leaving Nibali as the strongest on Angliru. Nibali, Valverde, Rodriguez, Basso & Uran are the main ones.

Pippo_San said:
I don't buy it. I believe Nibs would really like to be there for the win, yet he still misses that top fitness needed.
Third week could (not guaranteed) change everything, but you got to wonder if it'll become too little too late.

GC pretty good for someone who should come into form as the race progresses. All his main contenders are behind.

He lost a whopping 8 seconds to Valverde and Purito on a finish where everybody knew he could lose time. Don't see the big deal. Also I'm probably wrong but from what I saw he pulled all the way from 2km to go after Basso/Roche escaped. He wasn't measuring efforts there. Overconfident?

SafeBet said:
GC pretty good for someone who should come into form as the race progresses. All his main contenders are behind.

He lost a whopping 8 seconds to Valverde and Purito on a finish where everybody knew he could lose time. Don't see the big deal. Also I'm probably wrong but from what I saw he pulled all the way from 2km to go after Basso/Roche escaped. He wasn't measuring efforts there. Overconfident?

Nibali looked like he was struggling when riding behind Horner. He was not enjoying it at all. Still, after his break it's expected that the first week would be hard for him. Rodriguez is more disapppointing I think.

movingtarget said:
Nibali looked like he was struggling when riding behind Horner. He was not enjoying it at all. Still, after his break it's expected that the first week would be hard for him. Rodriguez is more disapppointing I think.

What I'm saying is that all things considered, first week couldn't go better for him. Excellent TTT. Nobody seriously attacked him on the short uphill finishes. None of the main contenders has gained time on him.

SafeBet said:
What I'm saying is that all things considered, first week couldn't go better for him. Excellent TTT. Nobody seriously attacked him on the short uphill finishes. None of the main contenders has gained time on him.

Yes he's in the ideal position. Close to the red jersey which will save his team some work. Horner spent too much time near the front yesterday and hit the lead too far out. Konig, Basso and Moreno all looked good. Moreno likes those finishes. Roche is also obviously doing well but won't hold out Nibali in the harder stages and the TT.

Nibali now has to attack, if he wants to win, a great strike. Does he have it in him?

It remains to be seen, therefore, if he's got the force, whereas diesels like Basso will be counting on sustained intensity over the long haul, while the Spanish are always ready for an ambush.

It will be very interesting in any case to see how it all unfolds.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Nibali now has to attack, if he wants to win, a great strike. Does he have it in him?

It remains to be seen, therefore, if he's got the force, whereas diesels like Basso will be counting on sustained intensity over the long haul, while the Spanish are always ready for an ambush.

It will be very interesting in any case to see how it all unfolds.

nah too early to show the real hand, the fight will start the end of the second week. BTW, Nibali looks very good on today's short punchy climb. He will only get better from now on.

so after the first week Nibali is more or less where he was supposed to be (actually better thanks to the TTT) and the Spanish guys (but Moreno) are behind him (and I believe no one on earth expected that). So is there any reason to say Nibali has NOT got this in the bag?