• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Purito said it was again a very hard day, with very fast racing and that in fact was the fourth mountain stage since he also considers Castelldefels, the 13 stage. Everybody was tired. He should be back stronger after the rest day, I don't think he'll crack but it will be some exciting stages ahead.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So much fighting to defend against a 42y old man. Staying out of TdF was a very wise idea for Nibali, i appreciate his way of building up his career. Smart would be to do the same double again next year, and keep up the "legend" of anti-Froome, but never actually confront him until he is ready and Froome is down on form.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Honestly, I doubt he will loose the Vuelta. After the restday he will be fine and ready to take down the old man Horner

Nibali has that thing you know. He's the kinda guy who will win these close battles.

He'll win the vuelta.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The Angliru, on the second last stage, is where the Vuelta will almost certainly be won or lost. “It’s a very tough stage, but I don’t think there will be huge time gaps,” Vinokourov asserted, “It’s very hard but I think everybody will race there to defend what they have already got in the bag.

http://velolive.com/velo_name/yaros...ch-dnevniki-vuelta-ispanii-2013-chast-12.html

thanks to search
И где-то на 80м километре дорога сузилась и уехал отрыв из восьми человек. Нибс остановился пописать, Мувистары снова встали и начали тянуть. Мы подъехали к ним: « Пацаны, вы что, гоните? Где уважение, где респект к лидеру и куче народу, которые остановились на паузу, а вы тяните жестко!? – А нам пофик, мы фигачим!». Итак, весь этап ни разу не остановились на паузу и не притормозили поесть спокойно.

Popo says after Astana has worked hard for over an hour another group of eight got a gap on a narrow road so Nibali stopped for a natural break along with lots of others but Movistar got on the front and pushed the pace. The Shack riders went up to Movi and asked why they weren't respecting the red jersey and the answer was "We don't care" lol. According also to Cameron Wurf's blog Movi rode hard through the feed zone too so that nobody could slow down and eat.

killswitch said:
http://velolive.com/velo_name/yaros...ch-dnevniki-vuelta-ispanii-2013-chast-12.html

thanks to search

Popo says after Astana has worked hard for over an hour another group of eight got a gap on a narrow road so Nibali stopped for a natural break along with lots of others but Movistar got on the front and pushed the pace. The Shack riders went up to Movi and asked why they weren't respecting the red jersey and the answer was "We don't care" lol. According also to Cameron Wurf's blog Movi rode hard through the feed zone too so that nobody could slow down and eat.

hm... ******bags ey?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
The Angliru, on the second last stage, is where the Vuelta will almost certainly be won or lost. “It’s a very tough stage, but I don’t think there will be huge time gaps,” Vinokourov asserted, “It’s very hard but I think everybody will race there to defend what they have already got in the bag.
Really Vino? You're sounding like a *****. What's up with that? Sorry, but Nibs is going down. Horner attacks and wins this race.

P*u*s*s*y

29 seconds, to win, ain't that big of gap.

del1962 said:
How is it a fail, they put Astana under real pressure and Valverde gined time on Nibali and some though less on Horner

It's a stage that Valverde could have won. I really expected them to keep that 8 rider group within reasonable distance and pounce on the last climb.

Instead they sprinted up the penultimate climb and ended up with 20 people ahead and a team too tired to do a lot on the last climb.

Valverde for a stage from the field was a much better bet than Szmyd/Herrada/Intxausti in the break.

Luckily for them Euskaltel rode for team GC and Nibali was weaker than expected (not sure how much credit they get for this as only Nibali was weak of all the main GC riders).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
*G*K*S* said:
Really Vino? You're sounding like a *****. What's up with that? Sorry, but Nibs is going down. Horner attacks and wins this race.

P*u*s*s*y

29 seconds, to win, ain't that big of gap.

Sounds to me like he's just calling it how he see's it. Doesn't necessarily mean he will encourage Nibali to ride conservatively and not attack, if he's feeling like he can, I don't think.

What's wrong with thinking others will ride to keep their GC position on Angliru?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, after losing nearly half a minute to his key rivals, Horner and Alejandro Valverde (Movistar), Nibali explained his watts are dropping. The Italian told La Gazzetta dello Sport, “It’s true. I lack about 15 to 20 average watts.”

Nibali, after winning the 2010 Vuelta and placing third in the 2012 Tour de France, had made the Giro d’Italia his focus. Martinelli told Italy’s daily sporting newspaper that Nibali produced 20 watts more in the Giro. He compared the Giro’s Jafferau stage to Saturday’s Andorra stage, which featured similar foul weather and where Nibali produced, on average, around 360 watts.

“It looks scientific but it’s that way,” Martinelli said. He referred to Sky’s method of riding a high pace on the climbs to prevent attacks. “If one knows he can hold 360 watts on the climb, a rival can only [attack] for one or two kilometers, take 50 seconds, but after that, that’s all they can do. I hope that this is not cycling’s future because it’ll be too easy. You sit at the computer and you program it all!”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/news/nibalis-watts-dropping-with-vuelta-lead_302367