• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
He says Wiggins is better climber than Nibali because in TdF 2012 Nibali got 0 seconds over Wiggins in mountains.

Also, about palmares, 1 TdF is not equal with 1 Giro or 1 Vuelta. Not all GT's are equal

What mountains? :p

Seriously though, in 2012 Wiggins had one great year where he had the form and climbing ability to beat most everybody else that he competed with. But the next year he was back down to his old climbing level and Nibali beat him easily.

Looking at a comparison of the two in mountain stages on CQ in fact, Nibali come ahead more often. So in 2012, Yes Wiggins climbing>Nibali's climbing, but overall it's Nibali>Wiggins.

As for palmares, Nibali also has 4 podiums against Wiggins 1 podium. Sure, Wiggins may have the Tour; but personally I'd take 2 GT wins + 4 podiums over Wiggins 1 GT win and 1 podium any day.

Afrank said:

Seriously though, in 2012 Wiggins had one great year where he had the form and climbing ability to beat most everybody else that he competed with. But the next year he was back down to his old climbing level and Nibali beat him easily.

Looking at a comparison of the two in mountain stages on CQ in fact, Nibali come ahead more often. So in 2012, Yes Wiggins climbing>Nibali's climbing, but overall it's Nibali>Wiggins.

As for palmares, Nibali also has 3 podiums against Wiggins 1 podium. Sure, Wiggins may have the Tour; but personally I'd take 2 GT wins + 3 podiums over Wiggins 1 GT win and 1 podium any day.
4 podiums, counting today's one.

SafeBet said:
Remember: when Nibali drops a top climber --> the top climber was sick, injured, not in good shape, had a mechanical or most likely all of these things together.
When a top climber drops Nibali --> Nibali is just a level below.

This is the basic rule to judge every Nibali's performance. And of course always keep Ryo's top30 climbers cheatsheet handy.

I would not be too worried about that opinion. He's well inside the top 30 which is a joke. I would have to say he is inside the top 6 climbers who can win a GT which is still a small group even though riders like Evans, Cobo, Wiggins and Hesjedal have won a GT. None of which would be called the best climbers but their all round talents are impressive. Cobo of course is the enigma in the GT winners club based on overall results but according to others he had a lot of talent when younger and I think he had some health problems. Others have a different opinion of course on Cobo.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:

As for palmares, Nibali also has 4 podiums against Wiggins 1 podium. Sure, Wiggins may have the Tour; but personally I'd take 2 GT wins + 4 podiums over Wiggins 1 GT win and 1 podium any day.

A Tour is not comparable to any other race, how spectaculair the Vuelta or Giro is.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
6 GT podiums in a 4 years span, this is a level of consistency that none of the guys cited in the list of better GT rider will probably ever reach.
Last time someone was able to do something better than this was Indurain( with 8 podiums in 4 years ).

So stop saying he is mediocre and the rest of the field was really bad or in awfull shape, if you podium 6 times in 4 years it is talent.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
He says Wiggins is better climber than Nibali because in TdF 2012 Nibali got 0 seconds over Wiggins in mountains.

Also, about palmares, 1 TdF is not equal with 1 Giro or 1 Vuelta. Not all GT's are equal

Lmao, the only gt win which was gifted by his teammate. Anyone think wiggins is a GREAT gt rider has serious mental problem, and should be kept away from general public.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Peccio89 said:
6 GT podiums in a 4 years span, this is a level of consistency that none of the guys cited in the list of better GT rider will probably ever reach.
Last time someone was able to do something better than this was Indurain( with 8 podiums in 4 years ).

So stop saying he is mediocre and the rest of the field was really bad or in awfull shape, if you podium 6 times in 4 years it is talent.

I am not denying that he's one of the best GT riders, but not the best climber, that's all.

Purito has finished 4/7 GT on the podium, so Nibali is not the only one. Nibbles of course won two of them, so he's got the better track record.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It's safe to say that Nibali's climbing this year has improved. He looks to be around 2/3 kg lighter then previous seasons, while retaining the same wattage output. His TT has also improved, that's probably mostly contributed to the better and more aero TT position. He's a great all rounder.

btw Nibali and Valverde seem to be getting along pretty well I noticed :D
Valverde even gave a coke to Nibali on the Angliru, nice gesture ^-^

73220_561945240526648_841478977_n.jpg

Also it was pretty cool to see that when Nibali went on the attack those 2 guys from the break helped him for a few meters, cool stuff. I think Nibali is liked a lot in the peloton.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Lmao, the only gt win which was gifted by his teammate. Anyone think wiggins is a GREAT gt rider has serious mental problem, and should be kept away from general public.

Come on now I think Nibali is better, but seriously "Gifted". Take CF out the race and Wiggins wins, Chris Froome on another team Wiggins wins. Just because Froome was stronger on the climbs does not mean he can put all the time in with those massive ITT's. Wiggins was also the 2nd best climber, people will say he got towed by Chris Froome, but I dint see no one else staying with him. Ok Froome could have put time in but Wiggo was still worthy winner. And when you only take part in mainly 1 GT since 09, 4th place(3rd?) Vuelta Podium and a win in 2012. What is not great about that. I don't even like Wiggins after his antics I always favourd Froome but come on now don't talk silly.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Nibali has the heart of a champion I should have become a fan earlier I don't no why I did not because I like many Italian Gt riders, Basso being my favourite. But the guy was mega yday its easy saying after the fact but maybe just maybe would he have been able to hang on to Horner all the way to the top and beat him in sprint?

The only thing with that strategy surely Horner would not have worked he would have let the break keep going for the bonus, no?

One thing I do think is a valid statement though is that I know his WATTS were down and they say he aims for WC. But surely it still should have been enough because if you look closer, he rode Poland and Burgos surely great prep? And Valverde and Purito had the Tour in the legs so should the gap not have been bigger to them guys? I personally think yes but who knows. As 1 minute or whatever it was is not huge when they do 2 back to back GT's?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webbie146 said:
It's safe to say that Nibali's climbing this year has improved. He looks to be around 2/3 kg lighter then previous seasons, while retaining the same wattage output. His TT has also improved, that's probably mostly contributed to the better and more aero TT position. He's a great all rounder.

btw Nibali and Valverde seem to be getting along pretty well I noticed :D
Valverde even gave a coke to Nibali on the Angliru, nice gesture ^-^

73220_561945240526648_841478977_n.jpg

Also it was pretty cool to see that when Nibali went on the attack those 2 guys from the break helped him for a few meters, cool stuff. I think Nibali is liked a lot in the peloton.

Nibali is generally well liked in the peloton, I have not heard anyone has bad things to say about Nibali.

TANK91 said:
Come on now I think Nibali is better, but seriously "Gifted". Take CF out the race and Wiggins wins, Chris Froome on another team Wiggins wins. Just because Froome was stronger on the climbs does not mean he can put all the time in with those massive ITT's. Wiggins was also the 2nd best climber, people will say he got towed by Chris Froome, but I dint see no one else staying with him. Ok Froome could have put time in but Wiggo was still worthy winner. And when you only take part in mainly 1 GT since 09, 4th place(3rd?) Vuelta Podium and a win in 2012. What is not great about that. I don't even like Wiggins after his antics I always favourd Froome but come on now don't talk silly.

Winning one Tour does automatically qualify you for greatness.

movingtarget said:
That was not Pereiro's fault. Only idiots gift a top 10 GC rider a 20 minute break and Landis was on the rocket fuel. Of course it took it took some pretty strange events for Pereiro to get the win. Probably one of the weirdest GTs of recent times.
I didn't say he did anything wrong. But his win didn't guarantee to him any "greatness"

Rollthedice said:
The parcours was favoring Horner and it's the first time in many years (if ever) that a pure climber wins a GT. You can also throw in the mix the fact that Horner, amazingly, didn't had one single bad day.

But I personally got over it, yesterday it was a fantastic display, he's only 28 and I'm sure, if he's healthy, we will see many many great GTs with Vincenzo.

Arredondo said:
I don't say he isn't a great champion. I think one of the best allrounders of the sport, beautiful to see him fight for the victory, even in a MSR. Last years Tour Nibali wasn't better than Wiggo in the mountains. The French climbs suits Wiggo as well als Nibali, Nibbles however is the better on the steeper climbs.

The discussion was not about who is the better GT rider, which i think is Nibbles, if there is a time trial in it. In the Vuelta of 2010 Purito was a couple of seconds faster after all the mountain stages, and even with a Tour in his legs. The time trial screwed his chances completely, but hey, a GT without a TT isn't a real GT. The only thing i want to make clear is that Nibbles is not the better climber than guys like Purito and Valverde.

Valverde has a bigger palmares comparing Nibbles, winning a Vuelta, 2x LBL, Fleche, 2x Dauphine, Clasica.

Maybe Evans too- WC and a TDF.
That was also SUPER Wiggo :)
Maybe not a better climber but more consistent.

Horner can be described as a pure climber- but if you had said to me before the Vuelta he would dominate every mountain stage i would not have believed it/ considered him as that good of a climber- i know he has done well at 1 week races but he had not even won a GT stage.

TANK91 said:

They are all gifted.

If Froome was on another team he would have had support and not lost a minute or so.

On La Toussuire Wiggins was not the 2nd strongest climber- if he continued in the red zone, what could have happened for the rest of the race?

Worthy winner of a boring route. 2010/ 2010 Giro and TDF- he did not crash in those, he just failed- otherwise i could rule out Evans 2009 TDF. Also I am not sure if am responding correctly to your sentence (1 GT per year, or from 2009 TDF to 2012 TDF- he only mainly competed in the 2011 Vuelta.......)

TRENDING THREADS