• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 132 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has this amazing photo been posted before? Vincenzo and, I presume, his little brother Antonio.

1528623_591459917585793_236493563_n.jpg

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IMO Nibali would have finished the 4th in the 2013 Tour even if he would have been fresh. Yes, he's versatile, he's an outstanding descender, he is pretty wise and self-possessed enough even to drop earlier in order not to lose too much time, but no one can сancel importance of uphill finishes like a key aspect in GTs. Honestly I wouldn't store too much optimism since then there's a lot of danger to feel shock after Planches des Belles Filles. Let's check this out...

hfer07 said:
But Nibali beat Froome -Unlike Alberto-which is more alike that Vincenzo-not Alberto is up to the challenge (Unless of course Contador gains his old self)
and considering that Porte might be tired after Il Giro-It means Froome has to do a lot more by himself, which is where he's proved to be weak

Keep in mind Pete Kennaugh, Mikel Nieve & Sergio Henao will be in Sky's team at the tour. I think the first time we'll see Sky and Astana go at it will be in the Pennines and Sheffield during stage two and I expect Nibali and Froome to be fighting for stage honors that day.

MatParker117 said:
Keep in mind Pete Kennaugh, Mikel Nieve & Sergio Henao will be in Sky's team at the tour. I think the first time we'll see Sky and Astana go at it will be in the Pennines and Sheffield during stage two and I expect Nibali and Froome to be fighting for stage honors that day.
It's the Tour, no way the second day is going to be an all out fight between the GC contenders. Sagan FTW.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
It's a stage in a stage race, and only 198km so nothing like a classic. It's stage 2, so recovery won't be important.

Longer stage, tougher stage:

It's more difficult than you're saying. However Jrod wil not be there, so the gaps on the climbs will not be that much.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
In the last four years, out of 7 GTs he raced, he finished on the podium six times while winning two. I am still amazed that people underestimate Nibali.

haha that person fits the definition of junior member very well:D

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
number0 said:
he would arrive on podium,almost surely

I assume he would never ridden the MTT better than Rodríguez, but would have been better at the flat time trial by 40''-1'. In the Alpes he couldn't have been on Quintana's and Rodríguez's level. So, 4th place. Sadly we don't see him in the Tour so far. At least I don't have evidence to presume that Nibali significantly improved in the Giro compared to the last year's Tour. He's on apporoximately the same level I think

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
He would have fought with Purito for 3th place. In the flat tt, he would have got a minute, but Jrod was a little bit better in the mountains. We never have a real fight between the two in normal circumstances. Purito rode already the Tour in 2010, and this Vuelta it was the same. You could say Giro 2011, but Jrod had bronchitis in the first week, so he could only perform at his top level in the last mountain stage, where he was better then Nibbles.

Vuelta 2011 there were both not good at all.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
Nibs would take a minute on Purito on Ax-3....

Ah forgot about that, but Purito had a hard crash two days before that, but ok, you're right. But i think Purito would have take almost 2 minutes in the Alps on him. Like i said, would be a close call.

TRENDING THREADS