• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 177 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
“I felt well, though. I learned a lot of from Peter Van Petegem when we came here this spring to preview the stage, and from Filippo Pozzato, who wrote me this morning to tell me to try to race at the front as much as possible, and to keep my arms relaxed holding onto the handlebars. And, of course, you also have to have the legs, to make it happen.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...ours-cobbled-stage_335407#vlsdKRk8W5H3Z5OT.99

May 19, 2011
Visit site
“It was exciting wasn’t it?” team Sky boss, David Brailsford said. “When you see what Nibali did, if you are a bike fan, then you’d have to say that was impressive. That was just unbelievable to see him ride away from Cancellara and Sagan on the cobbles. That was exciting, and we’ll remember that for a long time.”:eek:

Jelantik said:
Nibali is impressive in the cobble. Congrats to him. But mountain wise.. i think contador still have the say. Still it will make it more exciting that nibali has 2+ minutes ahead contador. At least he got a lot of head start to begin with.

You can expect Contador to try things that other's won't. Tactically he is very good. If Nibali climbs the way he did in the Dauphine he can't win but it also puts the pressure on Contador to do very well in the TT. Too bad Astana could not hand the jersey off as it will be tough on the team for the rest of the race. It still could happen if the right rider gets in a break but probably unlikely now. But the three Astana riders were magnificent yesterday and who would have expected them to ride away from Cancellara and Sagan.

Nibali is in an excellent position but everyone will be attacking him now. The fact that Sky, BMC, Movistar, Lotto and Saxo had plenty of riders in the bunch and continued to lose ground to Nibali was hard to believe. It was in the interest of all of them to work together but they could not manage it at all. Small gains by Porte and Talansky on Contador and the rest. With Froome gone a lot of interest also went with him until Contador lost big time. Now we have a real race and the mountains should have plenty of attacking.

I must say that was an awesome display of power and especially bike handling skills by Nibali. We already knew he knows how to steer a little bit and isn't afraid to take risks but to actually ride the like of Sagan and Spartacus of your wheel is truly awesome (must say that I think with the stage win out of the window Canc and Sagan were probably a bit less interested in taking huge risks, but nevertheless).

Still marveling over that Shark ride yesterday, what a Boss!!! Who would have imagined Nibali in yellow with 2+mins on all the contenders and 2:30 on AC after 5 stages? When I said take a 'Big Shark Bite' I was thinking 1 minute! I hope he is in full yellow kit today, he earned it fair and square :)

The entire dynamic of the race has now changed. Still a long way to go and Astana will have a big job to do. But Nibs looks strong and Astana looks strong.
He has been forever underrated by many :( Wonder what they have to say today?

Can Nibs really join the big 5; winners of all three GTs? The opportunity is there and he is riding like a Monster!

Recently Nibali has shown he can climb and TT well enough to limit loses to all but the best. Contador looks on good form but 2.5 mins is a lot to claw back and will require him to be on form for the whole three weeks. Nibali is just as capable of going on a mad break and stealing time as Contador is.

Yesterday was a stage for the ages and Nibali proved what an unbelievable bike rider he really is. I almost want to see what he could do in an enduro or even downhill race after that! There are not many bike riders I will actively support, I prefer to just watch and appreciate the racing, but Nibali won my unquestioning support yesterday.

Basically, GO NIBALI!!!!!

movingtarget said:
You can expect Contador to try things that other's won't. Tactically he is very good. If Nibali climbs the way he did in the Dauphine he can't win but it also puts the pressure on Contador to do very well in the TT.
How do you know he rode 100%? This just was a prep race for him. I bet he didn't put himself in red once.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
BsLqfIpCYAAcCzd.jpg

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
A lot of moronic comments about Nibali going on. Why would anyone think he'd climb as badly as he did in the Dauphine? When has he ever not peaked well for a GT he was aiming for?

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
A lot of moronic comments about Nibali going on. Why would anyone think he'd climb as badly as he did in the Dauphine? When has he ever not peaked well for a GT he was aiming for?

Well the real discussion is can a peaked Nibali stay with a peaked Contador? I dont think so, but he can afford to lose some time now.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Well the real discussion is can a peaked Nibali stay with a peaked Contador? I dont think so, but he can afford to lose some time now.

I'm with you on this one. Peak Contador is better than peak Nibali. I'm not unrated his climbing at Dauphine. But contador and froome are still ahead of nibali's class. That's why getting time like cobbles or downhill are ways for Nibali to take time. Contador can afford to loose some time now, but not Nibali. I like Nibali, but this is just my IMO. And yes, it makes the race interesting. Other wise everyone will boo and said that the race is boring because it's one man race (hints: contador)

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Without meaning to sound horrible I think it's good news for Nibbles with all these other teams having issues. Sky lose Zandio, Tinkoff have been in several crashes. Lotto have been in even more. Movistar haven't had much luck either.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Nibali makes such a great road boss! :D

I don't get why people are thinking he will fail in the mountains. Did he not prove himself in the Giro 2013? To me, he improved from Giro 2011 to 2013. And Contador cannot be underestimated, I am not saying he has declined, but he has changed from his earlier years like he was in 2009, 2010, 2011. The point is, that it will be a new contest in the mountains. Comparing Nibs form from Dauphine to being the same when this tour gets to the mountains is barely, if at all, relevant. Nibali aimed to peak in the mountains for TdF, not Dauphine. He must understand what it takes to win a TdF - he has the experience and the skills. I believe he will win a TdF - either this year (looking very possible) or within the next couple years'.

pigoonse said:
Nibali makes such a great road boss! :D

I don't get why people are thinking he will fail in the mountains. Did he not prove himself in the Giro 2013? To me, he improved from Giro 2011 to 2013. And Contador cannot be underestimated, I am not saying he has declined, but he has changed from his earlier years like he was in 2009, 2010, 2011. The point is, that it will be a new contest in the mountains. Comparing Nibs form from Dauphine to being the same when this tour gets to the mountains is barely, if at all, relevant. Nibali aimed to peak in the mountains for TdF, not Dauphine. He must understand what it takes to win a TdF - he has the experience and the skills. I believe he will win a TdF - either this year (looking very possible) or within the next couple years'.

Totally agree :) As I said before in the future there is a Tour with his name on it. We will find out soon enough when they hit the mountains. D*mn he is looking good, it might be in just over 2 weeks :)

That is Not to underestimate the competition which is Formidable. But if not this year he will get one; I Believe It.

People stop underestimating this man, he is a Real Bike Racer!!!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Still marveling over that Shark ride yesterday, what a Boss!!! Who would have imagined Nibali in yellow with 2+mins on all the contenders and 2:30 on AC after 5 stages? When I said take a 'Big Shark Bite' I was thinking 1 minute! I hope he is in full yellow kit today, he earned it fair and square :)

Probably wouldn't go all yellow until the final TT and final stage after that (assuming he hangs onto it of course). That's how he did it in the Giro.

Afrank said:
Probably wouldn't go all yellow until the final TT and final stage after that (assuming he hangs onto it of course). That's how he did it in the Giro.

According to NBCSN Vino told them he wanted to give the jersey away to save the team from all the pressure and work. Sagan would be a Perfect person to give it to if possible IMO. So not all yellow just yet, they don't even want the yellow top :)

TRENDING THREADS