• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 204 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Edit: Aw, how cute is that? You deleted your last post, you knew you were wrong? :)

No, I deleted it as a response to a deleted post (yours). But decided to restore it now. I'm going to leave this conversation now and go into "mod mode."

Let's keep this thread on the topic of Nibali, not other riders. And keep personal comments about other posters out of it. Play the ball, not the man.

Also, BlurryVII, do not try to bait other posters. Thank you.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Afrank said:
No, I deleted it as a response to a deleted post (yours). But decided to restore it now. I'm going to leave this conversation now and go into "mod mode."

Let's keep this thread on the topic of Nibali, not other riders. And keep personal comments about other posters out of it. Play the ball, not the man.

Also, BlurryVII, do not try to bait other posters. Thank you.

That's alright, sorry. I'll leave for now.

SafeBet said:
Valverde does not like this post.

Valverde has enough to worry about with TJVG and Peraud. His podium place is under threat. Peraud still needs to make up more time and he really surprised me yesterday. But Valverde will be vulnerable in the TT especially if he loses more time. Pinot and Bardet will also pressure him in the mountains. While Nibali looks very confident as he should. I have no doubt he could have chased down Majka if he wanted to.

Vino attacks everyone said:
1. Astana did not got ballistic when AC fell. They went to the frot of the peloton and kept a slow pace for atleast 10 minutes, before the upped the pace, and AC retired few min later. If AC wasn't injured he would have plent of time to get within 2 minutes of the peloton and catch back up

2. AC is not exactly known as the waiting type himself, so no moral high ground there amigos :eek:

If astana kept a slow pace, why did the gap to the front of the race get smaller? And yes, AC has waited for crashed rivals several times.

Afrank said:
You know, cyclingnews has live coverage of their own on every stage. It's great because it provides a complete record of everything that is happening. Let's take a look shall we. :)

So, Contador crashes...

You are correct, Astana started setting the pace.

But the gap falls from 4 minutes to 3:30

And he keeps having to go back to the car for medial and mechanical support.

Astana on the front by this point.

And yet, with Astana on the front and Contador keeping going back to the car, gap is still falling.

Peloton riding tempo, not going ballistic.

Getting closer to his DNF now, surly he's starting to really hurt. And starts losing time. Astana had to at this point move to maintaining the gap to Kwiat.

And he's out. Slowed down in that last 10 minutes before his DNF. But it took over 10 minutes for the gap to start going out again from when he first crashes.

I think it was Michael Boogerd who said, if the cameras go away he'll be back in no time. Which is more or less what happened.

SafeBet said:
But if the 4th best climber crashes can you up it or not? And if the 17th best crashes? Which is the line separating the worthy of a wait from the unworthy?

You could at least wait when the only competition you have crashes.

And this is completely ignoring Contador himself hasn't waited for riders when mechanical occurred. But maybe you can up the pace when the best climber in the race has a mechanical? Or maybe not? I'll need your full list of do and don't next time in going for a ride.

Yeah, he did that once, and it was stupid.

BTW, I'm also convinced Astana wasn't even close to ballistic after Alberto crashed. Hell they gained nothing on a rider with a broken tibia. But maybe Contador with a broken tibia is still better than a full train going ballistic. He was in the shape of his life afterall.

You ignore the fact that the gap to the front of the race was getting smaller. So they weren't taking it easy.

Afrank said:
To say they were trying to get an advantage on Contador is just wrong. If they were trying to do this there would be a lot more talk about it on the forum, and there was very little.

I thought it was cool when Rory Sutherland said on twitter
"I am biast, but should Astana be riding so hard on the front when your biggest adversary crashes?? Its racing but not sure about that."

Dazed and Confused said:
Some of Tinkoff's riders sounds almost as bad as the Schleck whiners of the past.

Kindergarten stuff.

Dazed and Confused said:
The Schelcks used to ride on CSC (Riis team). Whiners.
Rory is on Tinkoffs team. Whiner.

I see a clean pattern here.

Rory is just saying it as it is. He's cool :cool:

alin.constantin89 said:
They are frustrated, this situation is better for Contador, this way he's not in Valverde's position :D

Yeah, sure. Who's dreaming now?

LaFlorecita said:
Rory is just saying it as it is. He's cool :cool:

snipped..

Whining is cool? Lol.
Not for me. Its the worst of part out sport. Well not quite. There are one or two things worse.

Don't like it when Cancellara whines either. Oops another rider with a history on Tinkoff/Saxo/CSC. Are there a special whiner school on that team? Who's next? Majka? I hope not.

Anyway back to Nibali.

Hes looking super strong or do you think anybody can beat him here?

Dazed and Confused said:
Whining is cool? Lol.
Not for me. Its the worst of part out sport. Well not quite. There are one or two things worse.

Don't like it when Cancellara whines either. Oops another rider with a history on Tinkoff/Saxo/CSC. Are there a special whiner school on that team? Who's next? Majka? I hope not.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Guess who has a habit of whining about other riders? Right, Nibali.

TRENDING THREADS