• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 220 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Afrank said:
:eek: Wow, just wow. Sorry BlurryVII, but you look at everything with great bias.

I'm not overrating Nibali even a little bit. I brought up the point that he said he hadn't had to suffer the whole Tour, he has no reason to lie about this. Claiming he said this to make himself feel better is just ridiculous. Anybody that watched him over the course of the race can clearly tell he was in complete control the whole race.

Anybody who watched the race could see that he went flat out both on Hautacam and PDBF.
Didn't he say " I climbed up Hautacam as if it was an uphill TT" ?
So your intial point " He has never gone all out the entire Tour" is just as biased and wrong. Nibali's proving you wrong by his own words. How convenient.
Not mentioning that AC did put him in the red at Gerardmer as well.

You guys keep bringing the same redundant arguments, "Nibali's never put in a little dig once" " He is on par with the best, see TA 2013 TA 2013 TA 2013 TA 2013"
And you say you're not overrating him... :rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
You clearly overrate him AFrank you make it seem like it so wrong to question his win like the excuse oh to finish 1st first you must finish crap. I think people have more more evidence to their argument than Nibali fans. I mean have you watched cycling through their carear's?. Like the 1 stage Contador gapped Nibali people were saying he was under control do you know how much time 3 seconds on 1.8km climb could turn into on a HC MTF?.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Anybody who watched the race could see that he went flat out both on Hautacam and PDBF.
So your intial point " He has never gone all out the entire Tour" is just as biased and wrong. Nibali's proving you wrong by his own words. How convenient.

You guys keep bringing the same redundant arguments, "Nibali's never put in a little dig once" " He is on par with the best, see TA 2013 TA 2013 TA 2013 TA 2013"
And we yet havent mentioned port de bales where he was clearly dropped by pinot and was breathing hard,he surely didnt suffer there:rolleyes:.

Ohh craap I forgot he didnt have to follow him cuz he is better descender :eek::D

ILovecycling said:
Thats true,but still its a very very nice video,and the music,yep nice indeed:p

I feel bad for Nibali's fans, he won the race by default because the two super favourites crashed out, and because of this his achievement will always be questioned.

In my opinion Kreuziger would have won if he hadn't been unfairly banned because of an issue that happened 3 years ago.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not even going to bother to respond to this stuff it's so ridiculous (and my admin status probably prevents it anyway). You know, I was going to cheer for Contador at the Vuelta, but some of you are making me re-think that.

Oh and Blurry, the triple crown is not winning all 3 GT's. Exactly one guy made the mistake of calling it the triple crown.

Afrank said:
I'm not even going to bother to respond to this stuff it's so ridiculous (and my admin status probably prevents it anyway). You know, I was going to cheer for Contador at the Vuelta, but some of you are making me re-think that.

Oh and Blurry, the triple crown is not winning all 3 GT's. Exactly one guy made the mistake of calling it the triple crown.

Not ACs fault that his fan base has become more and more of a bunch of rabid dogs.

I'm gonna cheer for AC and Aru ftw! :cool:

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Rabottini could beat Nibali, Arredondo could beat Nibali, perhaps Buohanni also...
yes, in the dreams...
the reality is that Nibali Won the tour, Giro and vuelta...
the rest are pub speeches

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
An unbiased cycling fan as myself has come to the rather obvious conclusion that Aru is the biggest favourite for the Vuelta gc. But one has to admire AC for showing up, even if he probably will get his *** whipped by the italian ;)

:p:p

It's the obvious conclusion obviously. I don't know how more people don't come to it. Aru is clearly the new Italian messiah that fly's on angel wings. And his wings are made of high tech carbon fiber with a hybrid inorganic polymer system coating that makes them fire-proof. So he can fly as close to the sun as he want with no fear of them burning up. :D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Not ACs fault that his fan base has become more and more of a bunch of rabid dogs.

I'm gonna cheer for AC and Aru ftw! :cool:

Carols said:
Please do Not judge all AC fans by the actions of a few teenagers :)

"Teenagers" "Bunch of rabid dogs", however no answer to my previous comment, obvisously not the trolling one?

I like how on this forum, when you have no argument anymore you'll provoke and attack the person himself, when you don't know anything about him .

Unfortunaly that's how you end a discussion easily on these forums, you'll portray anyone as a dumb recent fan, who is obviously clueless, so that you'll make yourself and your friends bandwagon feel better.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Carols said:
Please do Not judge all AC fans by the actions of a few teenagers :)

That is funny, especially coming from you . You're the one who posts senseless groupie fan inspired comments, without any argument most of the time, or a ridiculous one such as "Nibali lost the Vuelta 13' because he didn't take Horner seriously" :eek:, random assumptions all over the place or you're the one who's been unfairly insulting Majka because he said something you didn't like in the press before the Tour.
Do you portray yourself as a mature person?

BlurryVII said:

riding Hautacam as a tt just mean that after he broke loose from the rest he rode at a steady pace. If Tony Martin leads a tt with 1 min on the last checkpoint before the finishing line, there is no need form him to take out the last 5%. Neither was it for Nibbles that day.
I actually agree with you that he went all out on PDBF. But would also point out that that isn't exactly a HC climb, it is what now? 5 km? Thomas was barely a minute behind, and Scarponi was dragging the leading group for quite some time in a moderate speed.

BlurryVII said:
That is funny, especially coming from you . You're the one who posts senseless groupie fan inspired comments, without any argument most of the time, or a ridiculous one such as "Nibali lost the Vuelta 13' because he didn't take Horner seriously"
Nibali suggested/said that. I guess she had an argument. :rolleyes:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
Nibali suggested/said that. I guess she had an argument. :rolleyes:

I know, but is that a valid one though?

Is "not taking Horner seriously" the reason why he couldn't hold his wheel?
Horner left him stuck on the road 1 vs 1 both on pena cabarga and Angliru.
You guys still trying to find an excuse, you're reaching now;
That is a reason why you shouldn't believe everything Nibali says.

BlurryVII said:
I know, but is that a valid one though?

Is "not taking Horner seriously" the reason why he couldn't hold his wheel?
Horner left him stuck on the road 1 vs 1 both on pena cabarga and Angliru.
You guys still trying to find an excuse, you're reaching now;
That is a reason why you shouldn't believe everything Nibali says.

Slongo was pretty clear under the Vuelta that Nibali lacked the watts he could produce in the giro.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Slongo was pretty clear under the Vuelta that Nibali lacked the watts he could produce in the giro.

He let himself go too much after the Giro. And IMO he had not enough races to build up his form. He had to rush into form after he was shockingly slow in Tour of Poland. Not ideal.
But he underestimated Horner when he let him go in the first mountain stage. That day he probably would have arrived with Horner and not lost 46 seconds. He thought Horner would not go far, playing games with Rodriguez, Valverde and Basso.
Had Nibali been in front with 3 sec instead of 3 sec behind before Angliru he might have won - he was on par with Horner that day or at least not clearly inferior (imo) and had to attack him. Burned himself with those 5-6 attacks. The seconds he lost on that easy climb ( 5,5 % average, not more than 7-8 km long, don't remember the name) a couple of days before were crucial.

I always thought he should hang on to Horner on the Angliru and attack with 800 m to go because Horner is a diesel, not explosive. Take 4-5 seconds and win.

He had a great form coming out of the Vuelta, unlucky in the WC and Lombardia, could have won both --> my first argument : too short on preparation, his form came 1-2 weeks too late

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

That doesn't mean much.
Nibali's average power output at the Giro 2013 on the 4 major climbs is 5.62 W/kg. Horner climbed angliru at 5.92 w/kg during 42 min and Pena carbarga at 6.75 (Smashed Cobo & Froome's record time)

It's hardly comparable with the Giro since it's not the same kind of climbs, not the same route and the weather was much worse, but it's safe to say that any version of Nibali wouldn't compete with Horner 13' on such extreme gradient.

"I can’t climb at 500 watts. I was going at 430 watts and that guy accelerated. What could I do?”
That's what Nibali said after Pena Carbarga.

TRENDING THREADS