• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 228 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The fridge in the blue trees said:
So now Contador was pedalling again? Why don't you make your "mind" up? Not pedalling, almost not pedalling, which one is it? And how is "not pedalling" a good explanation for anything in a bike race?
BlurryVII as a young boy coming home from school: "Mom, I failed all tests, but it doesn't really matter because I stopped writing"
BlurryVII at work: "Boss, you might think I'm not doing a good job, but that's really not the case, I just stopped doing it, so that doesn't count"
BlurryVII the vegetarian "Well, I eat meat, but doesn't count, because I just eat it"
BlurryVII after giving a speach: "Don't think you can say it was a bad speech, I just stopped speaking, so you can't say UnblurryVII speech was better"

What you don't understand is that he indeed was dominating up to that point. And was the strongest of the contenders in the pavé stage. Maybe Péraud could have been close, but he punctured at least twice (but don't really remember where he was when it happened the first time)

Maybe you can manage to find (note to Afrank, not meant in an insulting way, but you should find enough other material) a situation where Nibali didn't only take risks but rode well too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1dvSlvZLG8

BlurryVII said:

That, my dear, admired and beloved BlurryVII could be the problem.
That is not, I repeat not stage 5 of the TdF this year. So if you've been watching that, I see where you came up with the highly likely but unfortunately untrue notion that Contador wasn't pedalling in this particular bike race. Because in that video he indeed isn't pedalling. (He really isn't even in the video I guess, but that's really a detail).

Keep looking for it, you might find it.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The fridge in the blue trees said:
That, my dear, admired and beloved BlurryVII could be the problem.
That is not, I repeat not stage 5 of the TdF this year. So if you've been watching that, I see where you came up with the highly likely but unfortunately untrue notion that Contador wasn't pedalling in this particular bike race. Because in that video he indeed isn't pedalling. (He really isn't even in the video I guess, but that's really a detail).

Keep looking for it, you might find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

LaFlorecita said:
Stop it. You are stirring and stirring and I won't have any of it. This is NOT a place to get into fights.

Tell me, because I don't seem to get it. Why is it ok to refer to Valverde as a "sad little hyena", but it's not ok to use the same words for you or BlurryVII etc? Can't seem to get my head around this, if words are ok for riders, why not for posters? What makes forum members so special?

Afrank said:
Umm...did you not read my post, or read it and decide to ignore it? I'll highlight the important part.

Or both parties can not play the insult game anymore altogether and we can debate rationally and be friends. Let's do that.

I don't want to be redundant but what's to debate here that hasn't been debated ad nauseam in the past couple of months? It's not like someone is looking at the issue from a different angle. It's a moot point.
Not to mention that a thread was created specifically to discuss this nonsense a while ago and still we have to cope with posters flooding this thread.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
The idea that Nibali gained time on Contador on the cobbles just because Contador didn't take any risks is ridiculous. Nibali was by far the strongest GC rider on the cobbles. If you don't want to acknowledge it you are either blind or blind of your fanboyism.

PirazziAttacksVino said:
The idea that Nibali gained time on Contador on the cobbles just because Contador didn't take any risks is ridiculous. Nibali was by far the strongest GC rider on the cobbles. If you don't want to acknowledge it you are either blind or blind of your fanboyism.

Why can't both be true? That Nibali was strongest on the cobbles (under the prevailing conditions) and that Contador didn't take any risks (under the prevailing conditions)? The fact that folks don't seem to want to allow for both these things to be true speaks to the fan boy (or girl) in all of us.

Publicus said:
Why can't both be true? That Nibali was strongest on the cobbles (under the prevailing conditions) and that Contador didn't take any risks (under the prevailing conditions)? The fact that folks don't seem to want to allow for both these things to be true speaks to the fan boy (or girl) in all of us.

Good post. And it also may or may not be true that Contador would have gained minutes in the mountains. He didn't put that much time into Purito, Froome and Valverde in the Vuelta.

All we know is it would have been a great slugfest

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Nibali running away? Not surprised, that beatdown in 2011 must still hurt.

No worries though, contador can win the giro at 80% and still crush nibali in the tour.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Nibali running away? Not surprised, that beatdown in 2011 must still hurt.

No worries though, contador can win the giro at 80% and still crush nibali in the tour.

that would be so hillarious, and I think it is realistic (not crush but beat):p:D

Avoriaz said:
Good post. And it also may or may not be true that Contador would have gained minutes in the mountains. He didn't put that much time into Purito, Froome and Valverde in the Vuelta.
All we know is it would have been a great slugfest

The first sentence is accurate, but the 2nd sentence is frankly irrelevant to the question. Just because Contador didn't put much time into Froome et al at the Vuelta, with its shorter/steeper MTF (compared to the TdF), the fact that he was riding defensively (and not offensively) from stage 11 on, and coming off an injury to his leg, does not mean that Contador would have been unable to get back the 2'30 he trailed Nibali in the mountains and final ITT. We really can't draw any inferences from how he performed in the Vuelta (pro or con) to answer that (unanswerable) question IMO.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Astana directeur sportif Giuseppe Martinelli is in favour of the best Grand Tour riders going head to head, but hinted that Nibali will defend his Tour de France title in 2015, with Fabio Aru likely to target the Giro d'Italia.

"I think it'd be good for the sport, I'd like to see it," he told Cyclingnews. "We'll probably only decide our rider's objectives in November when we get together as a team. However I think Nibali will perhaps defend his Tour de France victory, while Aru could again got for the Giro d'Italia."

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I don't want to be redundant but what's to debate here that hasn't been debated ad nauseam in the past couple of months? It's not like someone is looking at the issue from a different angle. It's a moot point.
Not to mention that a thread was created specifically to discuss this nonsense a while ago and still we have to cope with posters flooding this thread.

haha I stopped participating those childish, mindless "discussion" long time ago;)

No wonder.

"After crashing during last year's World Championships and during last week's Tre Valli Varesine, Vincenzo Nibali has apparently changed the tyres on his race bike for the World Championships, switching from Veloflex to Specialized tyres as he had done before the Tour de France. According to today's Gazzetta dello Sport, the Italian rider has also switched to electronic components, finally abandoning the Campagnolo mechanical components he used to win the Tour de France"

“I can't be scared of wet roads. I think my crashes were caused by my tubulars and so I've changed supplier and now my grip seems better,” Gazzetta quotes Nibali as saying.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/news-shorts-nibali-goes-electronic-euser-wins-fairplay-award

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
ByPnjZoIgAIVUq3.png:large

ByPnjOeIYAMEQxl.png:large

LaVuelta, Stage 16: La Farrapona (last 6.05 km, 9.14 %, 553 m)
ByPnjbxIMAAZHMu.png:large

The Hitch said:
And none thought he would be close this year. So by that logic he wasn't as strong this year either right?

noI am sorry YOU did not belive that he would be close this year. If you can't see the difference between winning that Vuelta and then going for the giro 11 against AC, and his dominance in the giro 13 + his steady improvemt over all these years to back up a claim for the yellow yersey this year you are the deluded one...