• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 345 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
rick james said:
how can he not think he wasn't guilty?
Because riders do it all the time and don't get thrown out of races, he want's to minimize his particular incident to be viewed as "just a another sticky bottle".
He can try and minimise it all he wants but by sticking with the victim line he just prolongs this farce, admit he did wrong and people will forget about it before long

StryderHells said:
Irondan said:
rick james said:
how can he not think he wasn't guilty?
Because riders do it all the time and don't get thrown out of races, he want's to minimize his particular incident to be viewed as "just a another sticky bottle".
He can try and minimise it all he wants but by sticking with the victim line he just prolongs this farce, admit he did wrong and people will forget about it before long

Exactly, own up and move on!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
He'll probably ride the Tour a little bit like Majka in 2014, he's take it easy durning the first week and go for a stage or two in the mountains and try to help the team captain (Aru) a little bit in the mountains.
Recently he said that the Olympic Games are his biggest goal in 2016 and winning them would be even bigger than winning a 2nd Giro.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Nah, I don't think this is a very good idea.
There are 4 mountain stages in the first week of the tour (tbh the first and second one aren't that hard but still gc relevant) and Aru will already need everyone he gets. I doubt Astana gives Nibali the possibility to just do nothing and relax at the end of the peloton while Aru needs every help he gets. Nibali will have to work for 3 weeks, and thats definitely not how to prepare for rio if you have already ridden the giro.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Gigs_98 said:
Nah, I don't think this is a very good idea.
There are 4 mountain stages in the first week of the tour (tbh the first and second one aren't that hard but still gc relevant) and Aru will already need everyone he gets. I doubt Astana gives Nibali the possibility to just do nothing and relax at the end of the peloton while Aru needs every help he gets. Nibali will have to work for 3 weeks, and thats definitely not how to prepare for rio if you have already ridden the giro.

But remember, Majka actually already began to show form at La Mauselaine after hiding the first week. I think Nibali can do the same, Astana is a super strong team and should be able to cover that one spot until the Pyrenées, its not really a big deal. Also, I think that Astana knows that there are 3 better riders, at least on paper (granted, a lot can change in 6 months and in the fist week of July), but they would be stupid not to give Nibali a little wiggle room to do something on his own if he wants that. There are plenty of mountain stages....

ouch, they may not be listening at the giro either mate.

Question: You’re a rider that looks to details. Do you think that at the last Tour there were some details that weren’t working well?

Nibali: Many. For sure, [one example] I had the wrong teammates at the Tour. I was giving instructions and the [riders] didn’t listen.

Re:

Singer01 said:

Question: You’re a rider that looks to details. Do you think that at the last Tour there were some details that weren’t working well?

Nibali: Many. For sure, [one example] I had the wrong teammates at the Tour. I was giving instructions and the [riders] didn’t listen.

Probably refers to this -> https://youtu.be/GRwJDx5gj-w?t=2h25m39s

Alexandre B. said:
Singer01 said:

Probably refers to this -> https://youtu.be/GRwJDx5gj-w?t=2h25m39s
I didn't see anything referring to the other Astana not listening. Am I missing something?

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Re:

GdaG said:
According to Nibali's interview with CN TEAM Sky have an interest in him? What the hell?

There were rumours a year or two ago that Sky were sniffing round him... can't see it happening after the goings on between him and Froome and the signings Sky have made. The fact he is mentioning it now really highlights the lack of options.

SouthDowns said:
GdaG said:
According to Nibali's interview with CN TEAM Sky have an interest in him? What the hell?

There were rumours a year or two ago that Sky were sniffing round him... can't see it happening after the goings on between him and Froome and the signings Sky have made. The fact he is mentioning it now really highlights the lack of options.

"He" is not mentioning anything. The press apparently did. Nobody ever hinted at Sky since rumors started circulating about the team with whom he will be riding in 2017.

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
SouthDowns said:
GdaG said:

"He" is not mentioning anything. The press apparently did. Nobody ever hinted at Sky since rumors started circulating about the team with whom he will be riding in 2017.

There was this, but you're right, not from Nibali himself.

Question: What is your contract situation like for next year, you’ve had interest from Team Sky and Lampre-Merida?

Nibali: At this moment I have some teams that have gotten close to me. My manager is taking care of all that stuff and I’m focused on training and racing. I have an important offer from Astana too must I have time to decide.

He didn't deny it though! Ooooo

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes I know Sky were interested in him back in 2009 before creating the team, but unless Thomas or Landa leave, Nibali will have no space at Sky and him and froome hate each other anyway. He will end up at Lampre or Trek. No chance of staying at astana with what he said about his team mates.

Re:

GdaG said:
Yes I know Sky were interested in him back in 2009 before creating the team, but unless Thomas or Landa leave, Nibali will have no space at Sky and him and froome hate each other anyway. He will end up at Lampre or Trek. No chance of staying at astana with what he said about his team mates.

No way will he go to Lampre. He might stay at Astana, but more likely he'll go to Trek or maybe even BMC if they decide that LRP/TVJ aren't good enough. Which they aren't, coincidentally. I think he has options.

Nibali is behaving in a very churlish manner and not wining friends ...He should not dis his team mates and needs to stop having altercations with his rivals (Froome & Quintana)

If he continues like this I cannot see him wining much in 2016 .His head is in the wrong place

As for SKY they are interested in everyone but it would not be a good fit for Nibali because of the leaders at SKY already

He'll have to take a pay cut (unless he wins the Tour this year)... Maybe Trek or whatever Tinkoff become ...What about Katusha ?

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Nibali is behaving in a very churlish manner and not wining friends ...He should not dis his team mates and needs to stop having altercations with his rivals (Froome & Quintana)
He'll have to take a pay cut (unless he wins the Tour this year)... Maybe Trek or whatever Tinkoff become ...What about Katusha ?
Vincenzo has reached the "Stop pretending to be a nice guy, nobody's buying it" (See: Bryant, Kobe; Vinokourov, Alexandre) phase of his career. Just as well. I think he can pull it off.

"To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day."

carton said:
HelloDolly said:
Vincenzo has reached the "Stop pretending to be a nice guy, nobody's buying it" (See: Bryant, Kobe; Vinokourov, Alexandre) phase of his career. Just as well. I think he can pull it off.

"To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day."
talking about mate. Vino was a through and through great chap. Even gave you money if you didn't manage to beat him mano to mano in a classic

TRENDING THREADS