• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
To Cannibal72: You obviously know what will happen' in Spanish team 6 months in advance, who Minguez will nominate, who'll ride for who, etc,etc. Are you some kind of a seer?!
And your overwhelming favorite with a team dedicated to him, and with a little help of his friends (team car), was beaten by that same Rodriguez and Valverde from that dysfunctional Florence team!!!
I don't think there's a clear favorite for this race, even among the favorites, but if anyone must be named, it would certainly be Valverde, the best one-day racer among those guys, and then comes Nibali, Rodriguez, Martin, Uran, etc.
And last, you said Valverde is not good enough..!!! Not good enough for what?! For who?! You're calling the best hilly classics rider of this generation at the peak of his powers, not good enough!!! Well, I'll see you after Rio

Re:

Mr.White said:
To Cannibal72: You obviously know what will happen' in Spanish team 6 months in advance, who Minguez will nominate, who'll ride for who, etc,etc. Are you some kind of a seer?!
And your overwhelming favorite with a team dedicated to him, and with a little help of his friends (team car), was beaten by that same Rodriguez and Valverde from that dysfunctional Florence team!!!
I don't think there's a clear favorite for this race, even among the favorites, but if anyone must be named, it would certainly be Valverde, the best one-day racer among those guys, and then comes Nibali, Rodriguez, Martin, Uran, etc.
And last, you said Valverde is not good enough..!!! Not good enough for what?! For who?! You're calling the best hilly classics rider of this generation at the peak of his powers, not good enough!!! Well, I'll see you after Rio

The only foreseeable problem for Valverde is that the climbs are harder than the classics. If they are as tough as I read and Nibali is in top form, which may not be the case after the Giro and Tour, then he is my favorite. On the other hand, there will be some other guns right out of the Tour: Contador, Froome, Quintana, Aru and others. It depends on who comes out of that race in the best condition. The descents, however, will favor the likes of a Nibali.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:

It doesn't take remarkable gifts of prophecy to work out that a team with 3 leaders, with long-established rivalry, is not going to work terribly well.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nibali was pretty good in the uphill sprint earlier in Oman (i.e. second to EBH, beating GVA) and I saw that on the Green Mountain he also beat Bardet in a punch near the finish. Maybe he is training a bit more on his punch, for one day races, because of Rio? Would be nice to see lo Squalowell prepared for one day races in LBL. :)

(Hopefully it will be horrible weather in LBL ;))

LBL 2012 which Nibali almost win was one of hardest and if I remember correctly, that was last year where Côte de la Roche aux Faucons was included and it was quite close to finish so that was one of ideal years for win like that, since then race was never so interested and last 1 km always decided
anyway Nibali performance in Oman was quite nice for me, he seemed to be without any problem, and he went off the saddle very rarely

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

bassano said:
LBL 2012 which Nibali almost win was one of hardest and if I remember correctly, that was last year where Côte de la Roche aux Faucons was included and it was quite close to finish so that was one of ideal years for win like that, since then race was never so interested and last 1 km always decided
anyway Nibali performance in Oman was quite nice for me, he seemed to be without any problem, and he went off the saddle very rarely

Cote de Roche aux Faucons was excluded only in 2013, in last two years Cote was ridden and was at the same distance from the finish like in 2012. You don't remember correctly...

Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
bassano said:

Cote de Roche aux Faucons was excluded only in 2013, in last two years Cote was ridden and was at the same distance from the finish like in 2012. You don't remember correctly...

OK,
fair enough it was Nibali shape that was problem anyway but hopefully this year will be better and someone will want to make a hard race too

TRENDING THREADS