• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 542 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Found something on ciclismoweb after today's race. The reporter is preoccupied with Aru's form but then she asks Nibali:

"Vincenzo, how did you see Fabio?". "Fabio? Eh I've never seen him, I have not had time to turn around and look at his actions. I'm looking to improve my condition. I still lack explosiveness. I'm at 90 percent of the form. I still miss that ten percent. My classic shot. I hope this week to be able to find it again. It will not be easy. I'll try. I hope it will arrive these days instead of the end of the season ".

This is Moscon speaking:

"l do not know what my role will be on the team on Sunday - he explains to DirectVélo - What I'm sure of is that our leader will be Vincenzo. He came out in a very good condition from Vuelta a España and I think he recovered well from these three weeks of racing. At the Pantani Memorial he showed again beautiful things [...] I talked several times with Davide Cassani and I can say that Nibali will be the leader of the national team, as we have always thought since the beginning of the year. His trophies speak for him, he does not need any introduction and he is the natural leader ".

Either Cassani is bluffing or Moscon didn't get the memo. Interesting nevertheless.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
This is Moscon speaking:

"l do not know what my role will be on the team on Sunday - he explains to DirectVélo - What I'm sure of is that our leader will be Vincenzo. He came out in a very good condition from Vuelta a España and I think he recovered well from these three weeks of racing. At the Pantani Memorial he showed again beautiful things [...] I talked several times with Davide Cassani and I can say that Nibali will be the leader of the national team, as we have always thought since the beginning of the year. His trophies speak for him, he does not need any introduction and he is the natural leader ".

Either Cassani is bluffing or Moscon didn't get the memo. Interesting nevertheless.
Or Moscon is bluffing. Whatever they are doing, I think this is actually good for them as nobody will have a clue on Sunday how exactly to respond if either Nibali or Moscon attack

Re:

Climbing said:
Plus I've heard that Cassani said that Nibali can't do much Sunday, anybody did catch what he actually said?

No, but he's been saying different versions of the same story, that he does not expect Nibali to be at 100%, he's not the favorite but even so he might be dangerous. After the doom and gloom statement of Vincenzo at the end of Vuelta, Moscon appeared to be Italy's first choice. In the meantime Nibali says he's fine just that he missed those accelerations that can make the difference but he hopes he can find them in time pointing at Moscon as a leader. Moscon on the other hand comes with this statement which contradicts both Cassani and Nibali.

I'm sure we will here more of the same ping-pong until Sunday. Regardless of his final form, if Nibali is still in the favorites group towards the end of the race I think he will try to go before the last climb with Moscon as a second card to play on the final murito. With Aru gone, the team is strong and unite, I don't care much about Moscon but hopefully Vincenzo can put up an exciting ride.

Re:

Forever The Best said:
I have a feeling that they are bluffing, or at least I hope so.

Maybe a little, but I do believe that Nibali is not in top shape. They're maybe preparing his attack on the last Olympia ascent, or maybe even earlier, by downplaying his chances. But I doubt he'll be unmarked whenever he makes a move. The likes of Bardet, Pinot, Mas, Izagirre, Kruijswijk, Mollema, Quintana, Henao, and one of the Yates should watch him closely.

Re: Re:

Laplaz said:
Forever The Best said:
I have a feeling that they are bluffing, or at least I hope so.
In 78 hours we will know the truth. Hopefully he is bluffing, but I fear he is not. :(

Last statements after training camp:

"It's been a difficult road to get here as it was a difficult Vuelta for me. This training was important for me and I could pedal in harmony with my teammates. I do not have a comparison with other races between the Vuelta and today and therefore I think these worlds will be like racing in "the dark". I'm fine and the team atmosphere is perfect ".

In the meantime Moscon downplaying again leadership, hints to a free role which I thought will be reserved to Nibali instead:

"Vincenzo remains the leader. He has already won many important races, knows how to behave in decisive moments. We will follow his instructions, ready to support him. I will have the chance to take advantage of every positive situation that will arise. In order to win a World Championship we need legs, determination and imagination, qualities that I do not miss "

A reminder, no radios allowed during WCRR.

Latest from Cassani:

Will Italy have two captains in Innsbruck?

"Yes, Vincenzo Nibali and Gianni Moscon. The whole team will work for them."

Nibali has overcome the problems related to the injury suffered at the Tour?

"If he had had another fifteen days to prepare it would have been better, let's say he's fine anyway. He has done everything necessary to arrive in an important condition at this race."

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Latest from Cassani:

"If he had had another fifteen days to prepare it would have been better, let's say he's fine anyway. He has done everything necessary to arrive in an important condition at this race."
So Lombardia will be a non-competition :cool:

Re: Re:

Laplaz said:
Rollthedice said:
Latest from Cassani:

So Lombardia will be a non-competition :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8i-pSVMaQ

TRENDING THREADS