• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 550 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some useless velon data but nevertheless.

dpzlh-gw4aazfkn.jpg

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Totally useless stats. Those max speeds are so ***

Whats the programme next year - just your standard Giro + Vuelta and then full classics, Tokyo and WC hunt 2020? :D

He will decide later on, after courses are released.
2020 I guess depends a lot if he actually stays in TBM or not...
I have a very bad feeling about this! :eek:

Edit: I would bet that 2019 will be Giro + Vuelta + autumn classics. No real crack at LBL in this case.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Problem with Giro + Vuelta is he most likely isnt going to contend for any other big races outside of the Lombardia, but I guess this is the best he can do. Thibaut and Vincenzo matchup again.
The races he'd skip would be only Liege. I don't think that's too much of a sacrifice
Well also nice races such as Tirreno, MSR, Flanders and yes, TdF. But its the best programme for him I think

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Problem with Giro + Vuelta is he most likely isnt going to contend for any other big races outside of the Lombardia, but I guess this is the best he can do. Thibaut and Vincenzo matchup again.
The races he'd skip would be only Liege. I don't think that's too much of a sacrifice

Still has a fixation with Liege.

"The Giro seems very interesting. I got some hints from Vegni (laughs ed.). We know of the departure from San Luca. We will discover the cards further. ... The classic that I miss is Liege. A very complicated race "

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Well also nice races such as Tirreno, MSR, Flanders and yes, TdF. But its the best programme for him I think

What on earth would he be doing at such a race for sprinters, anyway?

“I knew there were some riders were coming across to me on the climb, but I never looked back until the top of the climb. I saw they’d gone deep to catch me, while I’d paced my effort carefully. I only needed to kick one more time to go clear and make it to the finish and take second.”

So actually he eased to get caught then gamble everything on a surprise attack. One of the most incredible moments of cycling I ever witnessed.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
“I knew there were some riders were coming across to me on the climb, but I never looked back until the top of the climb. I saw they’d gone deep to catch me, while I’d paced my effort carefully. I only needed to kick one more time to go clear and make it to the finish and take second.”

So actually he eased to get caught then gamble everything on a surprise attack. One of the most incredible moments of cycling I ever witnessed.
My father said that same to me while we were watching the race, to him it looked like he had ridden at a steady pace to attack again if he was caught.
I was a bit surprised when Nibali said pretty much the same durning the interview. :D

Re:

Rollthedice said:

Next level cycling. Certainly one of the most spectacular second places I have seen.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Winning!

zapata said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Winning!

I might have been ironic while still writing a post that would not have seemed ironic 8 months ago.

Could'nt watch the race live unfortunately, but after reeding some reactions on here I had to catch up tonight. What a show it was and a second place that is probably the best and most important of his career. And tbh it isn't Nibali, I'm happy with Tibo as well. Most importantly though, we can look ahead hopeful to 2019 :)

Sometimes a second place like that values more than many victories. Even though Vincenzo was obviously not at his best physical shape, he rode a brilliant race. Vincenzo, thank you once again for another incredible memory you presented us. I am extremely proud to be a fan of yours.

tobydawq said:
zapata said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Winning!

I might have been ironic while still writing a post that would not have seemed ironic 8 months ago.
Sanremo isn't a race he'd peak for, and it's basically a freeroll every time he rides it. Low risk for the form, and a very low chance of a great reward.

Re:

rick james said:
I was surprised when Pinot dropped him, Nibali was looking ok, comfortable following Pinots attacks, he poker face up until he was dropped was amazing

He was bluffing his way up to Civiglio, even riding along Pino, he has one of the best poker faces in the peloton. I'd say he wasn't even in his 2015 shape which makes this second place really amazing. He responded always seated and the fact he attacked 50 km to go was the only right decision to try and win the whole damn thing.

Rollthedice said:
rick james said:
I was surprised when Pinot dropped him, Nibali was looking ok, comfortable following Pinots attacks, he poker face up until he was dropped was amazing

He was bluffing his way up to Civiglio, even riding along Pino. I'd say he wasn't even in his 2015 shape which makes this second place really amazing. He responded always seated and the fact he attacked 50 km to go was the only right decision to try and win the whole damn thing.

Cmon Nibali was good, certainly not at his best, but he was good. It was only 300meters before the civiglio top he cracked and Pinot is in superform so its no shame.

Pinot rode the fastest superga ascent ever and he and nibali rode the fastest sormano ascent ever. Ofcourse a super Nibali wouldve made this an even better duel, but the outcome was still up for grabs.

I wish we had civiglio times though.

TRENDING THREADS