• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 599 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

HelloDolly said:
The thing is there has never been a better time for a rider to win the Tour

Froome out
Thomas tired and not fully prepared
Dumoulin with knee problems
Roglic and Carapaz not there
Fuglsang after a very very hard spring
Quintana,Bardet and Porte looking lack lusture

This could be the year of the surprise

Don't forget Eric Mas

Re:

HelloDolly said:

Froome out

Didn't noticed that affected his performance at the Dauphine...
Anyway it will be between Fuglsang, Landa and Pinot.

Re:

HelloDolly said:

Froome out

And the not so big surprises will be Bernal and Mas :)

Re:

HelloDolly said:

Froome out

So your only hope of winning is if the favourite crashed out and and the others are tired and off form .....what a way to be a idol to the kids

Re: Re:

rick james said:
HelloDolly said:

Froome out

So your only hope of winning is if the favourite crashed out and and the others are tired and off form .....what a way to be a idol to the kids
You're the idol Rick for your incisive posts.

Rollthedice said:
Mayomaniac said:
SafeBet said:
What makes you believe he can be competitive in two GTs in a row? He has never done that.
He has also never tried that, the 2nd gt was usually just preparation to get ready for a big one day race, so who knows.

As I posted a few pages back, there will be no altitude training, all he does is Livigno, no hard work just trying to keep in shape, with Caruso and joined by their families. In 2016 after Giro and before TdF to prepare the Olympics he did a training camp in San Pellegrino and he was complete crap until the end of the Tour. I guess we'll find out more during and after the Italian Championships but given how he and Slongo operate it's hard to think he'll go for GC in France.

This heavily suggests that he won't go for GC, but mostly I think he doesn't even want to be there, to begin with.
But maybe I'm wrong, after all those defections one starts to change his mind, in top shape would certainly be one of the favourites...

Climbing said:
Rollthedice said:
Mayomaniac said:
SafeBet said:
What makes you believe he can be competitive in two GTs in a row? He has never done that.
He has also never tried that, the 2nd gt was usually just preparation to get ready for a big one day race, so who knows.

As I posted a few pages back, there will be no altitude training, all he does is Livigno, no hard work just trying to keep in shape, with Caruso and joined by their families. In 2016 after Giro and before TdF to prepare the Olympics he did a training camp in San Pellegrino and he was complete crap until the end of the Tour. I guess we'll find out more during and after the Italian Championships but given how he and Slongo operate it's hard to think he'll go for GC in France.

This heavily suggests that he won't go for GC, but mostly I think he doesn't even want to be there, to begin with.
But maybe I'm wrong, after all those defections one starts to change his mind, in top shape would certainly be one of the favourites...

He's gonna be smelling coffee throughout the Tour. Time to move on.

wheresmybrakes said:
He's gonna be smelling coffee throughout the Tour. Time to move on.
Marginal Grains
;)

hqdefault.jpg

rick james said:
HelloDolly said:

Froome out

I am stating facts ...not ideals

Nibali has already ridden a GT a few weeks back and came second...in such a case he would not be competitive against a fully fit Froome ,Thomas , Dumoulin, etc
But given he has aa Giro in his legs then he may have a chance at a second GT f he and the team are up for it

Not a bad idol for kids to be honest ...shows that you can be competitive twice
Why you want to twist it into some terrible ambition I am sure I dont know
Afterall many riders win races when another isnt there or has a GT already in their legs !!!!!!

TBM’s line-up for the national championship: Vincenzo Nibali, Antonio Nibali, Damiano Caruso, Domenico Pozzovivo, Valerio Agnoli, Andrea Garosio and Sonny. Delfino is the DS, Vincenzo the captain with Pozzo and Caruso on his side.

“We worked well for two weeks to recover from the Tour of Italy and prepare for the Tour de France – says Damiano – I saw that the route is very particular with almost 4000 meters of elevation gain and therefore I expect a lot of selection. I am ready to give my contribution as well as, if there is the possibility, to try to win ”.

I've a feeling that Nibali will finish on the podium. Not the top spot but maybe squeeze into 3rd. I'm thinking he's gonna gain some time early on and hang on til the end. The other contenders may leave him alone to start off with thinking he not gonna do much with having done the Giro then stay up there for the remainder.

wheresmybrakes said:
I've a feeling that Nibali will finish on the podium. Not the top spot but maybe squeeze into 3rd. I'm thinking he's gonna gain some time early on and hang on til the end. The other contenders may leave him alone to start off with thinking he not gonna do much with having done the Giro then stay up there for the remainder.

I'm not sure that even Nibali knows what to expect. He never really did back to back GTs for GC. I'd say a lot will depend on PdBF stage. Can't wait for the "going day by day" statements and the "sensations" assessment.

Rollthedice said:
wheresmybrakes said:

I'm not sure that even Nibali knows what to expect. He never really did back to back GTs for GC. I'd say a lot will depend on PdBF stage. Can't wait for the "going day by day" statements and the "sensations" assessment.
"Winning stages in the 3rd week"

TourOfSardinia said:
movingtarget said:
Stage wins I think. Might have been better off waiting for the Vuelta.
wasn't his choice.
Remember he kinda deliberately got disqualified from the 2015 vuelta - a GT he was forced into to 'support' Aru.

I think he was just desperately trying to preserve a chance to go for GC after an extremely unfortunate crash that was going to cost him around five minutes.

tobydawq said:
TourOfSardinia said:
movingtarget said:
Stage wins I think. Might have been better off waiting for the Vuelta.
wasn't his choice.
Remember he kinda deliberately got disqualified from the 2015 vuelta - a GT he was forced into to 'support' Aru.

I think he was just desperately trying to preserve a chance to go for GC after an extremely unfortunate crash that was going to cost him around five minutes.

Yes. Plus the overly enthusiastic DS who was driving the car. A frustrating year which ended on a high note with him smashing the autumn Italian classics.

Imagine frigging Astana in the 2015 with Nibali.

As for this Tour, I just hope he's not too dead to be true to the kind of rider he is. Really anonymous top 10 would suck, going for stages and still being bad would suck, but if he has the legs to attack, fail and still ride a GC it would be a bit better.

"The race will be a question mark, the temperatures are different, totally. Here we found humidity, hot air. Honestly I do not know what to expect. But I've been watching my rivals carefully. Who will they be? I would say Ulissi, Visconti, Masnada, Cattaneo, Vendrame and even Bettiol."

" (Giro) I filed it all down quietly and enjoyed the result. The 2nd place was however an important placement, a very good Giro. For me the glass is full for three-quarters, then everyone interprets it in their own way. In a way, I was also happy for Carapaz's victory. He deserved it. He was the strongest and played his cards well. He came in with less pressure, it was said that Movistar's captain was Landa, we all overlooked him a bit. In a Grand Tour, there's always a big surprise. This time it was him. The Tour? The first MTF is always difficult to interpret, Planche des Belles Filles is a very explosive climb. You can see where you are compared to the others and what prospects there are. I don't know what I can do either, I'll live a little day by day"

http://www.sportfair.it/2019/06/ciclismo-parole-nibali-campionati-italiani/945397/#p5J9lstTVxFpSXVt.99

TRENDING THREADS