• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 629 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Best comparison is LBL for riders who go to the Giro. Fairly sure only Valverde and Di Luca won it before doing the Giro, and that's with LBL being an easier uphill sprint trick pony race than this worlds by a long shot.

Nibs might get a top 10 but I don't expect a top 5, sadly.

Tbh he always said his main objective was the Giro, even with the Martigny course, hinting he won't be 100% for the Worlds.
And even if he was 110% it seems very unlikely that he would win on the Imola course, unless it comes from some unexpected tactical shot or strange situation.

And now Cassani will surely push the captain role on Vincenzo again, no doubt about it, literally no other options after all the defections.

On the Tirreno side, to me it looks like his usual training regime, but more definite answers in the next couple of days...

Reactions: Rollthedice
Best comparison is LBL for riders who go to the Giro. Fairly sure only Valverde and Di Luca won it before doing the Giro, and that's with LBL being an easier uphill sprint trick pony race than this worlds by a long shot.

Nibs might get a top 10 but I don't expect a top 5, sadly.
Valverde won FW before riding the Giro in 2016, but underperformed in LBL (the bad weather and low temperatures probably also had a big impact).

Valverde won FW before riding the Giro in 2016, but underperformed in LBL (the bad weather and low temperatures probably also had a big impact).
Ah I mixed my LBLs up.

Actually, Vino won LBL in 2010 before doing the Giro, and Cuddles was in good form there as well. Rodriguez almost won it in 2013 I think, etc. But there's also a few prone to getting slaughtered in LBL before going to the Giro.

It's starting to remind me somewhat of 2016 Giro build-up. That year he started very well, winning Oman and without the cancellation of that single mountain stage in TA he would have been battling with Tibo (again) for the overall win. He was that good in March.

Then, I remember Slongo said he took a rest, something like many days without riding to start up again for the preparation for the Giro. He comes from altitude camp to Trentino as he is crap, I mean Slongo was babbling about his heart rate being too high, everything is fine but there's some adjustments to be made. Finishes 21st after one Fabricio Ferrari, 7 minutes down. Then LBL, same picture.

Then THAT Giro with Colle Dell'Agnello and all.