• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 680 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't know if you've heard his latest interview at Radio Corsa, but it sounds like he's not 100% sure he'll go for GC at the Giro. He could stage hunt and support Ciccone.
He also said he's likely to drop out of the Tour early to be at the Olympics.
I've read it translated as "I won't go for GC in Giro and Tour", but to me it's not clear if the negative refers to the conjunction or to either of them.

He might be into the business of selling bags for other to use.

Don't know if you've heard his latest interview at Radio Corsa, but it sounds like he's not 100% sure he'll go for GC at the Giro. He could stage hunt and support Ciccone.
Now, that's exactly what someone would say if they're going to ambush the giro field. They'll never see it coming!

The Giro is already in the bag. No need to declare that he is going for the GC.

Seriously. I think the season is all about the olympics. It would be devastating for him if they cancel or postpone them again. For all the talk about him being lucky in GTs he never had any luck in WCs or the olympics. He had three big opportunites. In 2013 he probably was the strongest rider but spains teams was stronger and basically gifted Costa the win to prevent Nibali from winning. One of the worst tactical performances I have ever seen.
In 2016 he was on his way to an olympic medal (maybe even the win). We all know what happened. 2018 was even worse. The Tour crashed eliminated his chances on a course that was taylor-made for him.

This is most likely his last chance to get a medal and even though the course might be to easy he has to go for it. He has nothing to lose and all the confidence in the world.
If I had asked any cycling fan in the world a few years ago what is more likely. Nibali winning Milan-San Remo on a course that favors guys with a way better sprint and acceleration or Nibali winning a difficult ORR with multiple hard climbs. Don´t think anyone would have picked the first option. So he might as well try to do the impossible again.

Reactions: Sandisfan

It's the new "free Nibali" approach in which the idea is to be competitive as much as possible throughout the year without the aim for a monster peak for a GT. Plus getting rid of the pressure to win at all costs (sacrificing the season for one major goal). That's why we have seen him in a good shape already at Etoile and to be honest I can't wait to see how he'll perform in UAE against some serious climbing competition. I think we'll have a vintage Nibali in TA and Sanremo combo and hopefully in LBL. Giro will be most likely "day by day" and going for the win where there's an opportunity rather than sitting tactically and aiming at decisive stages peak. This would mean a more aggressive riding without thinking for the overall, if he can sustain and it comes it's fine, if not there's no big deal as long as he can put a mark on the race. Free Nibali.

Reactions: Carols and SafeBet
It's the new "free Nibali" approach in which the idea is to be competitive as much as possible throughout the year without the aim for a monster peak for a GT. Plus getting rid of the pressure to win at all costs (sacrificing the season for one major goal). That's why we have seen him in a good shape already at Etoile and to be honest I can't wait to see how he'll perform in UAE against some serious climbing competition. I think we'll have a vintage Nibali in TA and Sanremo combo and hopefully in LBL. Giro will be most likely "day by day" and going for the win where there's an opportunity rather than sitting tactically and aiming at decisive stages peak. This would mean a more aggressive riding without thinking for the overall, if he can sustain and it comes it's fine, if not there's no big deal as long as he can put a mark on the race. Free Nibali.
Although it's slowly losing it's strength, don't mix this up with the "Free Landa" movement. "Free Nibali" is a different type of movement. "Free" in the first is a verb while in the latter is an adjective. Because Nibali has been freed since his Liquigas days already. So those are two completely different things. It's confusing, I know, but we'll all get there in time.

Free Nibali has this season in the bag, no matter what.

Although it's slowly losing it's strength, don't mix this up with the "Free Landa" movement. "Free Nibali" is a different type of movement. "Free" in the first is a verb while in the latter is an adjective. Because Nibali has been freed since his Liquigas days already. So those are two completely different things. It's confusing, I know, but we'll all get there in time.

Free Nibali has this season in the bag, no matter what.
No boundaries, no frontiers. Nibali, the last free roaming professional cyclist.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The Giro is already in the bag. No need to declare that he is going for the GC.

In 2013 he probably was the strongest rider but spains teams was stronger and basically gifted Costa the win to prevent Nibali from winning. One of the worst tactical performances I have ever seen.
In 2016 he was on his way to an olympic medal (maybe even the win). We all know what happened. 2018 was even worse. The Tour crashed eliminated his chances on a course that was taylor-made for him.
Spanish team was perfect until 2km to go, and then Valverde total eclipse happened. I don't think it has anything to do with Nibali, and I don't think Nibali could win that race from that group in any scenario.
In 2016 he could've get that gold, but bad luck happened.
2018 was not tailor-made for him, but for the guy who won it.

This I don't agree. I think he would've attacked and stayed away on the flat, since he is a much better rouleur than the other 2, especially at the end of a tough race.

I was convinced of the opposite. Henao was a much, much better rider back then than now. But I guess he never really proved his mettle in a flat sprint. But I will admit I have never rewatched the race so it is based on a four and a half year old feeling.

Right, because Henao has had a much better period than Fuglsang the last four and a half years...

Oh. I read the other post as "we would've had (in the case of an Henao win)". Sorry.

Do people really think Greg has been underwhelming? In 2017 he basically won everything but I guess in the last couple of years there has been farther between the snapses ;)

I mean, it wasn't like his predecessor was better after his gold...

Oh. I read the other post as "we would've had (in the case of an Henao win)". Sorry.

Do people really think Greg has been underwhelming? In 2017 he basically won everything but I guess in the last couple of years there has been farther between the snapses ;)

I mean, it wasn't like his predecessor was better after his gold...
But Vino was Vino. And his win was the greatest _ O _

Reactions: topcat

TRENDING THREADS