• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 683 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think for a rider like him it's fine to stick around even if he isn't quite at elite level anymore. He is different than some guys like Froome who, ever since they emerged as gt contender, haven't really done anything but being around the very top of the gc. Froome not having the level to compete felt strange. For Nibali it doesn't. Nibali is 100% the sort of guy who I can see just going to gt's stage hunting, getting a few more spectacular wins. In fact he has actually done that regularly in the last few years already.

But anyway, let's first see how the giro goes. It's easy to say he is finally done after a performance like this week, but if his performances at this race were anything to go by he would have been finally done half a decade ago. I'm certainly not expecting him to win another giro, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he reaches a level to make some serious noise in May.

I think for a rider like him it's fine to stick around even if he isn't quite at elite level anymore. He is different than some guys like Froome who, ever since they emerged as gt contender, haven't really done anything but being around the very top of the gc. Froome not having the level to compete felt strange. For Nibali it doesn't. Nibali is 100% the sort of guy who I can see just going to gt's stage hunting, getting a few more spectacular wins. In fact he has actually done that regularly in the last few years already.

But anyway, let's first see how the giro goes. It's easy to say he is finally done after a performance like this week, but if his performances at this race were anything to go by he would have been finally done half a decade ago. I'm certainly not expecting him to win another giro, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he reaches a level to make some serious noise in May.
I would.

The only race I can reasonably see him win is the ORR, because of small teams, the long distance and some top contenders possibly being tired after the Tour.
And even that looks like a long shot to me.

Reactions: Publiuszam
:D:D:cool::DHe is no Sulla. He will never come back and reclaim the eyetalian riders consulship. I think he knows he doesn't have "it" anymore but as Cicero said "Consuetudinis magna vis est" or he is doing "Crede quod habes, et habes" ..fake that he still got it for one last big hurrah. Yes, I was reading latin today . :D
Ultinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Why would Nibali retire if some one is still willing to pay him millions

Yes he is a level (or 2) below the Pogs and Rog and the MvP /WVA but he could still pull out that one moment of magic

He still has the ability to do something unexpected

I hope he continues just to catch that
Someone needs to pay for Racheles bad investments