• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 699 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We are witnessing him turning into Ciccone's Scarponi. Instead of winning himself, he'll be the kingmaker.

Next year when he'll ride with golden shoes or handlebars. This Giro he still has unfinished business. Trek has no team to support Ciccone, it's everybody for himself. What can Nibali do, out-train by himself the Ineos train and launch Cico?

Nibali has to keep close in GC until the impossibly hard third week and if he's good enough play his cards alongside Ciccone. At this point there's no guarantee Ciccone will keep up like he's doing right now or that Nibali will improve.

Next year when he'll ride with golden shoes or handlebars. This Giro he still has unfinished business. Trek has no team to support Ciccone, it's everybody for himself. What can Nibali do, out-train by himself the Ineos train and launch Cico?

Nibali has to keep close in GC until the impossibly hard third week and if he's good enough play his cards alongside Ciccone. At this point there's no guarantee Ciccone will keep up like he's doing right now or that Nibali will improve.
59rn75.jpg

mathematics for people who can't think abstractly
laughs in categorical quantum mechanics

The fact that it's in the bag is highly trivial anyway.
We can agree on this point. Or at least it is true for people in this thread (with the possible expection of Mr. Anybody_But.., but I'm sure he will come around eventually).

Btw, it's fascinating how even if his shape isn't great, Nibali is still insanely good at positioning himself in the peloton. Him suddenly appearing in 4th position before a fast descent was kinda cool.

Actually it's the first time this Giro that I saw that, maybe he is really starting to get better.

Was thinking that even in ideal circumstances (100 per cent shape) he would have lost time in those three stages, I'd say he would have been where Caruso is now. Montalcino is another tricky stage.

Actually it's the first time this Giro that I saw that, maybe he is really starting to get better.

Was thinking that even in ideal circumstances (100 per cent shape) he would have lost time in those three stages, I'd say he would have been where Caruso is now. Montalcino is another tricky stage.
Yesterday he was the one who helped Ciccone to get the Bernal's wheel before the tunnel started.

Btw, it's fascinating how even if his shape isn't great, Nibali is still insanely good at positioning himself in the peloton. Him suddenly appearing in 4th position before a fast descent was kinda cool.
That's why he will always be one of my favourite riders. He never had the w/kg of the mutants like froome, pogacar, contador, quintana schlecks etc. But he manage to win races through his positioning, descending, tactics, aggression, bike handling skills, intelligence, ability to read races. That is what makes the sport so beautiful. My favourite Shark wins are not his Giri or his Tour/Vuelta. they are Lombardia 2015 and Sanremo 2018. That is what separates him from any of these GC riders he raced against.

That's why he will always be one of my favourite riders. He never had the w/kg of the mutants like froome, pogacar, contador, quintana schlecks etc. But he manage to win races through his positioning, descending, tactics, aggression, bike handling skills, intelligence, ability to read races. That is what makes the sport so beautiful. My favourite Shark wins are not his Giri or his Tour/Vuelta. they are Lombardia 2015 and Sanremo 2018. That is what separates him from any of these GC riders he raced against.
There's a problem though. The only possible GT win that could possibly fall into such description would be Vuelta 2010 but even then it was mainly to Anton crashing out. Giro 2016 was just a patented Astana 3rd week miracle revival kit while both Giro 2013 and Tour 2014 (also Trentino 2013) were pure w/kg showcases comparable with Froome and likes. Both his Lombardia wins were mostly knowing Civiglio/Battaglia descents like the back of his hand. However, i cannot front on Sanremo. To be a realist, he also had some tactical stinkers, mainly 2019 Giro by letting Carapaz the time adv for free or that echelon stage in 2015 Tour. At times he was a brilliant rider (Tirreno 2013 where he gave Froome an absolute pounding or that Dauphine 2015 stage, where he was still outrun/outsmarted by Rui Costa) but he's no God amongs men like this thread seems to pretend, similary to Contadors or Eventpolls.

Last edited:
There's a problem though. The only possible GT win that could possibly fall into such description would be Vuelta 2010 but even then it was mainly to Anton crashing out. Giro 2016 was just a patented Astana 3rd week miracle revival kit while both Giro 2013 and Tour 2014 (also Trentino 2013) were pure w/kg showcases comparable with Froome and likes. Both his Lombardia wins were mostly knowing Civiglio/Battaglia descents like the back of his hand. However, i cannot front on Sanremo. To be a realist, he also had some tactical stinkers, mainly 2019 Giro by letting Carapaz the time adv for free or that echelon stage in 2015 Tour. At times he was a brilliant rider (Tirreno 2013 where he gave Froome an absolute pounding or that Dauphine 2015 stage, where he was still outrun/outsmarted by Rui Costa) but he's no God amongs men like this thread seems to pretend, similary to Contadors or Eventpolls.
His 2nd place in 2018 Il Lombardia is still the most hilarious bit of tactical magic I've ever seen.

"Oh hi you're back. Bye"

Reactions: Rollthedice
I love eventpolls, they're the best kind of polls!
Finally starting to catch my forced attempt at a meme. Also, by sheer accident, it thematically works with your meme (VINcenzO) status in poll games.

I started as quite a fan of his, even if i was really saddened by Ezequiel not winning that Vuelta (i love that name). However Vincenzo was a gutsy rider. Sort of similar to post 2010 Contador. He was often all over the place. If my memory isn't playing any games right now i really liked how he clawed back some lost seconds to pure punch twins Purito and Moreno in the Cordoba 2011 stage with most of Liquigas pulling that 20-30s gap. However, also in 2011 he seemed to show signs of bloated ego and i started to like him less and less. The press mind games also didn't help. I believe his ego bited him in 2019, when i believe he should had won that Giro. Right now i'm indifferent. He gave us some entertaining highs and lows. He has this tendency of suddenly tapping into form to then once again dissapear so he may still have something left in his holster. Maybe this year he'll get an Olympic medal or a rainbow in years to come. But for now, maybe jump into Ciccone's knight as he has a decent chance of possibly even winning the Giro if the cards will turn to his favour.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS