• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 728 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not in the bag:

"I'm here with the headlights switched off. Where will I arrive? Only my legs know."
The winner in 2015 and 2017:
"Moment ok, but I'm not super and it's not my percorso. It would take a perfect day"

• Sad
Reactions: Carols
Is it an Italian thing or why do Nibali quotes always seem so enigmatic. "only my legs will know"

It's a bit of italian/catholic fatalism and Squalo Philosophy in that quote. "We'll see what the day will bring me". I can't control everything. "Only my legs know....I don't". Not passivity nor lack of responsibility but simply the acknowledgment that you can't control everything.

Again like in the good old days when he doesn't have it for the win he's launching the winning moves. Good race overall, just that he peaked for Tour of Sicily where he destroyed two top tens of today.
Incredible lead out work today. Just that is was Pogacar not Mollema

Just like in his de Ronde debut or 2012 Dutch worlds, when he can't win he decides who wins.

With an early attack that failed he still managed a 12th place. The legs are not totally gone.

Incredible lead out work today. Just that is was Pogacar not Mollema

Just like in his de Ronde debut or 2012 Dutch worlds, when he can't win he decides who wins.

With an early attack that failed he still managed a 12th place. The legs are not totally gone.

Milano SanRemo 2020 attack, then Van Alert and Ala went on to battle it to the line.

Any word out of the Bag?

In Italian, he looks happy, the fans waiting, best wishes for Luca Guercilena, looking forward to Vino's team:

View: https://youtu.be/9qCF9h_vxx8

Some excerpts:

"Pogacar had a different pace today. He was good, he waited and then accelerated at the right time and I couldn't keep up with him."

This Lombardia was much more suitable for Pogacar than for me, there were these long climbs that worked well for a rider with his characteristics. I knew how the race was going to go and I have no regrets, I'm happy for what I did".

In Italian, he looks happy, the fans waiting, best wishes for Luca Guercilena, looking forward to Vino's team:

View: https://youtu.be/9qCF9h_vxx8

Some excerpts:

"Pogacar had a different pace today. He was good, he waited and then accelerated at the right time and I couldn't keep up with him."

This Lombardia was much more suitable for Pogacar than for me, there were these long climbs that worked well for a rider with his characteristics. I knew how the race was going to go and I have no regrets, I'm happy for what I did".
All I could make out he seemed to talk faster than usual

Reactions: Rollthedice
Looking back, it's such a shame that he rode the Tour in 2019 and that he didn't stay with Bahrain. Maybe it was money, maybe he was too much of a diva. Without the broken back in 2018, I think he would have been in a better place mentally for 2019, and maybe the team would have been more supportive of him.

I will enjoy whatever he can offer next year, but I won't have any expectations.

Looking back, it's such a shame that he rode the Tour in 2019 and that he didn't stay with Bahrain. Maybe it was money, maybe he was too much of a diva. Without the broken back in 2018, I think he would have been in a better place mentally for 2019, and maybe the team would have been more supportive of him.

I will enjoy whatever he can offer next year, but I won't have any expectations.
Yeah not being in Bahrain in 2021 does make me sad. Were there any rumors why he was leaving other than being left to assume a simple case of he demanded more than they wanted to give him?

In all honesty it feels like he's wasted too many seasons on the Tour, whether he did the Giro or not. In 2019 he got a stage win and that was it for the year.

TRENDING THREADS