• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 730 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To me the new Liege looks like a Fleche with the finish 20 kms after Huy, basically everyone knows that nothing relevant is going to happen before a sprint up the Roche aux Faucons to determine the strongest. Personally i would have liked more to see a finish in Liege but keeping Saint Nicolas and Ans after the Roche, putting the harder climb farther from the finish.

To me the new Liege looks like a Fleche with the finish 20 kms after Huy, basically everyone knows that nothing relevant is going to happen before a sprint up the Roche aux Faucons to determine the strongest. Personally i would have liked more to see a finish in Liege but keeping Saint Nicolas and Ans after the Roche, putting the harder climb farther from the finish.
I just want them to make ditch RaF because it's too hard too late and instead put Targnon from like 80km out or wherever it is

I like to be optimistic (well, sometimes) and think that with the of riders who we could have dueling in future LBLs—Van der Poel, Podgacar, Roglic, Van Aert, Remco—the chances for significant racing before Roche aux Faucons becomes more possible. Its still likely where the decisive move happens, but as long as there’s some hard racing (with some casualties) before that I don’t mind).

BTW, by casualties I mean cracked, not crashed

Reactions: Sandisfan
So famously non-explosive that in the buildup to Liege that non-explosive rider could follow Alaphilippe uphill and outsprint him on the flat at Amstel and beat everyone else other than Alaphilippe in the Fleche.
Didn't Alaphilippe lead out the sprint with cramps and get dead last from those groups?

Anyway, there was roughly a year where Fuglsang was world class at 3-10 minute climbs in hard one day races. Nibali I don't see beating the best at a 5 minute climb.

Anyway, in 2.75 GTs that Nibali did in non-GC mode (excluding the 2018 Vuelta which was more about getting back from injury) he has a grand total of 1 stage win.

Obviously not doing another GT for GC before would be a benefit, but it seems that while it's a viable strategy, stage-hunting may not necessarily be very productive.

Anyway, in 2.75 GTs that Nibali did in non-GC mode (excluding the 2018 Vuelta which was more about getting back from injury) he has a grand total of 1 stage win.

Obviously not doing another GT for GC before would be a benefit, but it seems that while it's a viable strategy, stage-hunting may not necessarily be very productive.
2 Tours that were prep for for Olympics - and TdF can be a bit harder than Giro/Vuelta breaks.

This year was different though. We had big accelerations on the Redoute already and favourites caught in a split even before Roche aux Faucons. Also the terrain after RaF is difficult and it allows real racing.

Last edited:
Nibali in 2022 will leave the sport in a blaze of glory after achieving the once-thought impossible grand slam of cycling: winning all 5 monuments in a single season.
Champions spend all their careers in pursuit of the 5 monuments. The Man woke up on a rainy Tuesday and decided: "That's it. I'm gonna do it." As he went out for a glorious morning ride the rain was already gone of course. The rest is the future that'll become history...