• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏
@fmk_RoI if I were Liquigas, Nibali would not be going to the Tour. Sorry. Why would any team invest in a guy that is one foot out the door?

Why? Maybe because he spent years riding for Leakygas and over the years delivered results worth of respectable treatment? Or because he wants to race and win some races for his team?

What a schmack. Glad JV is not in charge. :eek:

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏
@fmk_RoI if I were Liquigas, Nibali would not be going to the Tour. Sorry. Why would any team invest in a guy that is one foot out the door?

He's got it backwards. Having a top rider like Nibali on the squad is not investing but rather collecting a return on your investment. Thor had one foot out the Garmin door by the end of Classics last year and delivered big time in the Tour.

I could possibly agree with him if it were about a rider in early development like companies don't send employees for advanced training when they've given notice.

Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏
Says the guy that denied a world champion a spot on the Vuelta team.

Vaughters is getting a bit to much annoying these last months.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Not JV's brightest move. Everyone pretty well knew that he screwed Thor over last year, but why prove the point to the rest of his team and anyone else who might consider working for him? Selfishness doesn't breed loyalty.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Liquigas, why you would not send Nibali?

Really it would just be to screw Nibali and do Liquigas absolutely no favours. They could win the Tour with Nibali, at least be in the fight. UCI points for WT license can't be an issue for liquigas. I'm sure the sponsors are keen for the best rider on the squad to go.

As stated liquigas wouldn't be investing in Nibali by sending him, this is one of their last chances to collect on their investment.

If, as he's not allowed to, Nibali hasn't signed, there is a chance to add another million to his salary with a win :)

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Agree with most of the part, but I am sure the deal was already done and just wait the right moment to announce.

karlboss said:
Liquigas, why you would not send Nibali?

Really it would just be to screw Nibali and do Liquigas absolutely no favours. They could win the Tour with Nibali, at least be in the fight. UCI points for WT license can't be an issue for liquigas. I'm sure the sponsors are keen for the best rider on the squad to go.

As stated liquigas wouldn't be investing in Nibali by sending him, this is one of their last chances to collect on their investment.

If, as he's not allowed to, Nibali hasn't signed, there is a chance to add another million to his salary with a win :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏

Oh JV JV you've got a lot of maturing to do.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Most Dauphiné are crap, but it is interesting to see where Nibali stands in 53kmTT against Evans, Wiggins, AS, Menchov and Cobo. I don't think Nibali has even done such long tt recently.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Liquigas will have enough WT points even if Nibali leaves. Not sending him to the Tour would only hurt them since nobody will want to sign with them after this and they would miss a lot of publicity.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Jonathan Vaughters ‏

Some of you's need to think like a DS and not like a trophy giving parent of a kid who never showed up to practice for some random kids' sport.

Exiting UCI points to qualify or maintain ProTour status are not to be given away or allowed to exit stage left. Instead riders staying in 2013 would serve the team better or help maintain the ProTour status. Just imagine if something unbelievable happened to Sagan or Basso they'd be without those points as well possibly pushing them out of the ProTour range.

Moviefan1203 said:
If he goes to BMC, as is being speculated, won't there be a pretty big language barrier? He doesn't speak much English.

bmc has a big italian contingent so it wouldn't be a problem.

but i think jens said this bmc rumors are a mistranslation from the gazzeta article. it's nibali and agnoli to astana and oss and szmyd to bmc

TRENDING THREADS