• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe that takes into account also Agnoli and Vanotti salary, so you have to subtract those from that amount to have the actul salary for Nibali.

As his career has progressed he's become an elite competitor that shows himself from early season till the end. From Tirreno to Lombardia and often in between. Look at this season alone. Podiums at MSR and LBL. Overall at Tirreno. He's giving his sponsors more than just a good return on their investment. Whether he can and will beat Evans, Wiggins and Schleck I don't think is of the utmost importance. I would hope that Astana are aware of his attributes and limitations so that their expectations are realistic. He's shown himself to be a low-maintenance, high level performer who additionally has displayed a strong team first attitude aligned with consumate professionalism. His handling of the Sagan drama at Tirreno, his ability in the past to work for the good of the team with Basso and Kreuziger is a testament to his overall class.

I'm an admirer (Obviously huh? :) ) of his so my opinion is likely not as objective as it should be but I can appreciate the attitude he brings to the sport. The sport needs more like him.

Swede1 said:
yeah that seems way too high a salary for nibali. He can win some short stage races and GT's when against light competition but I simply don't see him winning the Tour against Evans, Schleck, Wiggins...

but then ask yourself-how many years have Evans & Wiggo left? Nibali is just getting close to his peak years, so he's "potentially" a GT thread for years to come, having in consideration he will continue to improve.

Swede1 said:
yeah that seems way too high a salary for nibali. He can win some short stage races and GT's when against light competition but I simply don't see him winning the Tour against Evans, Schleck, Wiggins...

The figure is not for this year but for the coming years, and you got to believe Nibali will be a match for a Wiggo and a 36 year old cuddles on mountainous Tour courses.

+Nibali can also contend for Giro - Vuelta, rather than tour, or even maybe Tour Vuelta, as well as LBL and GDL

Angliru said:
As his career has progressed he's become an elite competitor that shows himself from early season till the end. From Tirreno to Lombardia and often in between. Look at this season alone. Podiums at MSR and LBL. Overall at Tirreno. He's giving his sponsors more than just a good return on their investment. Whether he can and will beat Evans, Wiggins and Schleck I don't think is of the utmost importance. I would hope that Astana are aware of his attributes and limitations so that their expectations are realistic. He's shown himself to be a low-maintenance, high level performer who additionally has displayed a strong team first attitude aligned with consumate professionalism. His handling of the Sagan drama at Tirreno, his ability in the past to work for the good of the team with Basso and Kreuziger is a testament to his overall class.

I'm an admirer (Obviously huh? :) ) of his so my opinion is likely not as objective as it should be but I can appreciate the attitude he brings to the sport. The sport needs more like him.

The Hitch said:
The figure is not for this year but for the coming years, and you got to believe Nibali will be a match for a Wiggo and a 36 year old cuddles on mountainous Tour courses.

+Nibali can also contend for Giro - Vuelta, rather than tour, or even maybe Tour Vuelta, as well as LBL and GDL

I agree with both of these posts, but still I think it's too much money.
Would make more sense if Peccio is right about Agnoli and Vanotti.

vuelta itt 2010:

vincenzo_nibali_time_trial.jpg

TA itt 2012:
tumblr_m0v3wx5ii11qzxpybo1_r1_1280.jpg

so can any of you guys spot any significant changes in position? to be honestly his back seems to be flatter but other then that his itt position doesn't seem to have changed much

Parrulo said:
vuelta itt 2010:

vincenzo_nibali_time_trial.jpg

TA itt 2012:
tumblr_m0v3wx5ii11qzxpybo1_r1_1280.jpg

so can any of you guys spot any significant changes in position? to be honestly his back seems to be flatter but other then that his itt position doesn't seem to have changed much

Wow, big change, he's riding in the other direction:rolleyes:. useless to use two pics from a different angle

webbie146 said:
Basso already stated in interviews that he will help Nibali, he won't compete with Niballi.

Like those words mean something :rolleyes:

I wondered about this myself...considering Nibbles is changing team, maybe Leaky is using Basso as a dark horse...in the end he could still be capable of a Top 10 so why not...

Pippo_San said:
Like those words mean something :rolleyes:

I wondered about this myself...considering Nibbles is changing team, maybe Leaky is using Basso as a dark horse...in the end he could still be capable of a Top 10 so why not...

Because:
1. He's coming off a Giro where he struggled to keep up with the rest of the contenders when the action picked up.
2. The Tour TT km's will put him on his heels and create a deficit that at this point in his career he is not capable of recovering in the mountains, even if he hadn't done the Giro.
3. Why would Liquigas/Cannondale back someone who isn't likely to win a stage, make the top 10 or even be a factor at all over a well rested, reaching his prime Nibali other than because he's slated to ride for another team next year?
4. Liquigas/Cannondale may as well take advantage of the exposure that Nibali will undoubtedly give them at the Tour.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
mb2612 said:
his saddle might be further forwards, but the real question is whether he is in a more stable position.

Discussing positions over just some photos which doesnt even show the rider by side is like asking if a cake is yummy by looking at a photo.
Anyway there's UCI limitation about how further you can push forward your saddle (over BB) and Im pretty sure he's already at the limit as almost every other pro rider.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
all you said make sense and I totally agree, but if in some high mountain, Nibali was slightly dropped, but Basso seems to be fine to go with the favorites, I highly doubt Basso will drop back to help Nibali to set the tempo, he will just ride for himself. In the end he can always say a stage win is very important for the team. And team's management will back him up since Basso's points will stay with team.

Unless Nibali was in the driving seat and possibly winning the tour situation, in that case I can see Basso helping Nibali.

Angliru said:
Because:
1. He's coming off a Giro where he struggled to keep up with the rest of the contenders when the action picked up.
2. The Tour TT km's will put him on his heels and create a deficit that at this point in his career he is not capable of recovering in the mountains, even if he hadn't done the Giro.
3. Why would Liquigas/Cannondale back someone who isn't likely to win a stage, make the top 10 or even be a factor at all over a well rested, reaching his prime Nibali other than because he's slated to ride for another team next year?
4. Liquigas/Cannondale may as well take advantage of the exposure that Nibali will undoubtedly give them at the Tour.

maxmartin said:
all you said make sense and I totally agree, but if in some high mountain, Nibali was slightly dropped, but Basso seems to be fine to go with the favorites, I highly doubt Basso will drop back to help Nibali to set the tempo, he will just ride for himself. In the end he can always say a stage win is very important for the team. And team's management will back him up since Basso's points will stay with team.

Unless Nibali was in the driving seat and possibly winning the tour situation, in that case I can see Basso helping Nibali.

The only circumstances I can see Basso getting a stage win is from a break. He isn't likely to be in the position where he's outclimbing Nibali, not with a Giro in his legs and his declining abilities. Basso no doubt remembers Nibali working for him in his last Giro victory so I would think that he would gladly do the same. I don't detect any friction between the 2 of them, not like what seemingly existed between Nibali and Kreuziger.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Nibali did not make I hoped 2mins cut to Wiggins, but it does not look like Nibali is giving 100% and it is still a long way to the start of the tour. Hope he can still improve in coming weeks. Is he going to do more altitude training before the tour?

maxmartin said:
Nibali did not make I hoped 2mins cut to Wiggins, but it does not look like Nibali is giving 100% and it is still a long way to the start of the tour. Hope he can still improve in coming weeks. Is he going to do more altitude training before the tour?

he will-but to me the issue of the Dauphine's ITT result isn't that important, considering that this race is only last a week- the ITTs in the Tour come after a hard racing-& legs are likely to respond differently from what we witnessed today. Vincenzo however do need to tune up his TTing skills to measure his loses against Wiggo & Evans IF he wants to be up there near the podium...

maxmartin said:
I'm disappointed, I think he needed to be -30 sec. better. But as you say he's trying to peak at the right time, unlike that Sky rider. Btw, he complained about the wind.

Looking forward to stage 6, and see what he can do on that descent.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
30 seconds to Wiggins, i think that is mission impossible for Nibali. I am a fan but I have to be on my feet:D
cineteq said:
I'm disappointed, I think he needed to be -30 sec. better. But as you say he's trying to peak at the right time, unlike that Sky rider. Btw, he complained about the wind.

Looking forward to stage 6, and see what he can do on that descent.

maxmartin said:
30 seconds to Wiggins, i think that is mission impossible for Nibali. I am a fan but I have to be on my feet:D

I think he said 30 secs better on his actual time, not 30 secs to Wiggo which is obiouvsly impossible on such a long course.

He's not so bad tho, he's 19 secs far from Menchov, not exactly eons, so if we consider he's still missing something from his top form, and considering we're talking the final TT in the Tour, I can see things going much better come July.

TRENDING THREADS