• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta 2020, Portugal, February 19 - February 23

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seems that the jury is already out there for Viviani and its not even march yet.
90% of riders see a decline after leaving DQS. He was never a sure thing prior the Quick-Step either. His lead out now consists of Sabatini and Consonni. One has no idea what's going on most of the time and the latter seems to put more care into his own 7th place than the result of his leader.

I think it's too early to judge what he can achieve, next week he will be at the Track World Championship and last week he was training on track with the national team. Maybe today's stage was a bit too hard for the kind of form he has right now.

That said I think he can still win important races but nobody expect him to win as much as he did in the last two years.

I think it's too early to judge what he can achieve, next week he will be at the Track World Championship and last week he was training on track with the national team. Maybe today's stage was a bit too hard for the kind of form he has right now.

That said I think he can still win important races but nobody expect him to win as much as he did in the last two years.
I actually think his form is pretty decent at the moment. He was pretty good in a reasonable hard Cadel Evans Race and the Track WC probably is a rather big goal for him so he'll wanna be in form. He obviously is a good sprinter but there are a few who are just faster.

The jury was out when DQS decided they rather roll with Jakobsen.
I’m not sure that gives the whole situation. It’s very well known that Lefevere won’t break the bank to keep riders when he’s got new ones coming through as seen every year. He’ll only pay to keep the ones that win and keep his sponsors on board, at the moment I’d think that only Alaphilippe and Evenepoel are untouchables.

It doesn't show really:

1. DQS - 68 wins - 9314 points
2 JV - 51 wins - 8279 points
3 Bora - 47 wins - 8181 points
4 INEOS - 26 wins - 7929 points.
In the last 7-8 years, we really have only two dominant teams, and those are Quick Step and Ineos (Sky). One team dominates in the Classics and sprints, and the other dominates in Grand Tour racing.
There were attempts of other teams during these years to break this dominance, teams like Movistar, Tinkoff, Astana, BMC, and most lately Bora and Jumbo. But not one of these teams succeeded in that. QS and Ineos are still the benchmark for all other teams. If some team wants to make impact in Classics, he needs to think how is he going to beat the steppers, same with GT's and Ineos.

Reactions: Joelsim
I’m not sure that gives the whole situation. It’s very well known that Lefevere won’t break the bank to keep riders when he’s got new ones coming through as seen every year. He’ll only pay to keep the ones that win and keep his sponsors on board, at the moment I’d think that only Alaphilippe and Evenepoel are untouchables.
Long term I think only Evenepoel is untouchable. Alaphilippe basically has had one really crazy season in which he still failed to deliver in Liege and in which the much hyped Tour was likely a fluke.

That's simply not true. I can write you at least 10 riders who have stayed at the same level or have done better: Poels, Kwiato, De Gendt, De Plus, Schachmann, Pauwels, Gaviria, Ciolek, Cavendish, Uran... Waiting for those 90 who declined.
90% is obviously an exaggeration, but your list of riders isn't exactly great. Guys like Kwiat, Schachmann and De Plus did leave quite young so was to be expected they weren't going to fall of a cliff yet. Then there also a few guys you name who did do worse after they left like Gaviria and Cavendish. You could have done a better job naming 10.

Reactions: jaylew
Long term I think only Evenepoel is untouchable. Alaphilippe basically has had one really crazy season in which he still failed to deliver in Liege and in which the much hyped Tour was likely a fluke.

That's a bit harsh considering he also won strade, MSR and Fleche Walloon in 2019 along with several top 5 en top 10 places.
Arguably he's was the best cyclist in the world in 2019.

90% is obviously an exaggeration, but your list of riders isn't exactly great. Guys like Kwiat, Schachmann and De Plus did leave quite young so was to be expected they weren't going to fall of a cliff yet. Then there also a few guys you name who did do worse after they left like Gaviria and Cavendish. You could have done a better job naming 10.
If you're going to exclude those who do not fit to the notion then yes, it might be 90%.

Both Gaviria and Cavendish scored more PCS points in a season following their departure from QS. Gaviria's even been injured. Cav obviously declined but as a result of leaving QS? That's nonsense.

And you're right, there are more riders to add to the list which proves the premise ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS