• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Has anyone ever gone from not having a sprint at all to being one of the fastest GC riders as rapidly as Evenepoel has? 2019-20 Evenepoel could have started this one in Roglic' wheel and still wouldn't have made the top-5, now he coasts past everyone bar Roglic (who, tbf, was forced to go pretty early) on a hill that probably isn't even half as difficult as the Cauberg. Extraordinary development.
Very fast, technical run in, all the guys with pure sprinters cred were nowhere, freshness definitely played a role here. Foss led out the sprint way too fast, and Roglic had to lead it out himself but he probably slowed down a bit at the start too which enables guys from behind to catch up.

Very fast, technical run in, all the guys with pure sprinters cred were nowhere, freshness definitely played a role here. Foss led out the sprint way too fast, and Roglic had to lead it out himself but he probably slowed down a bit at the start too which enables guys from behind to catch up.
None of that changes the fact that Evenepoel doing what he did would have been unthinkable not so long ago.

Has anyone ever gone from not having a sprint at all to being one of the fastest GC riders as rapidly as Evenepoel has? 2019-20 Evenepoel could have started this one in Roglic' wheel and still wouldn't have made the top-5, now he coasts past everyone bar Roglic (who, tbf, was forced to go pretty early) on a hill that probably isn't even half as difficult as the Cauberg. Extraordinary development.
It's not the Cauberg, but it's still a pretty long drag uphill. On such a finish the strongest riders always come to the fore. Also, look at the competition, apart from Roglic, it's pretty poor.

Reactions: Carols

Wow i hadn't seen the sprint yet. Remco was really far away. But clearly he had the benifit of the drag for a long time while Roglic was already dropping in speed. (or so it seemed).
But Remco taking on the others is rather impressive for him. It looks like he might not be completely out of chances when he arrives together with Roglic/Pog on a MTF. (given his weight is lower, he should do better the steeper it is) (depending on how many times he can do such an acceleration, because that was/is also a limit for him)

Sprinter Remco needs to work on positioning. He was boxed in a bit, but started sprinting at the right time. He wanted a win is his rainbow jersey, so close. Maybe he could practice his Cancellara/Ganna sprint in the sadle. But he looks mighty strong. He better denies the white(?) jersey tomorrow lol.

Like I said during Tirreno, Remco could've had a hattrick :D

He won a small group sprint in Norway no and cleaned Mas hard in Vuelta no?

I think this data point isn't that reliable, it reminds me a lot of when Gesink beat Sagan in Canada.
True, this finish is actually pretty similar to the one in Quebec, but I think it's also pretty clear that Evenepoel should be able to sprint. He's not the skinny climber type like Gesink.

Reactions: gunara and Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS