• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not likely, sorry. Roglic hit the front early yes, but the error was mitigated by the road rising to the line, which made it harder to come around him in the end. And Remco wasn't just a bit back, but terribly positioned to come through for the win.

Had Evenepoel been on his temmate's wheel he likely would have overtaken Roglic, given the burst of speed he showed today. But sprints are won on positioning often more than pure velocity, as was the case today. And I doubt he saved more energy than Roglic before the Slovenian opened up the sprint, because Primoz had two teammates piloting him.
Yeah but imagine if Roglic had a teammate that had actually led him out to more like 100 yards from the finish. They both did great and had advantages and disadvantages. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Rogla hit the front far too early, but managed to sustain his sprint pretty well. Remco was a bit too far back, which might have helped him push a little less power from 1k to go to 250m to go, but then he had to make up some distance to reach Rogla's wheel. I believe Rogla hitting the front a bit too early is a bigger hinderence than Remco's position, but it was a nice sprint at the end nonetheless. Bring on the next stages.
as far as i could see remco wasn't in the top15 when he started his sprint, that is not a little out position. As someone stated before, i think it is likely he didn't intent on sprinting and that was only in the spur of the moment

Reactions: Extinction
Yeah but imagine if Roglic had a teammate that had actually led him out to more like 100 yards from the finish. They both did great and had advantages and disadvantages. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Agreed, I'm not suggesting Roglic wasn't fantastic, if my post is read carefully. It seems, however, that the rise to the line determined why Roglic's teammate could not pilot him closer to the finish. It also explains why, despite being forced to go early, nobody in Roglic's immediate vicinity could overtaken him. It also shows Roglic was lucky Evenepoel was not on his wheel when the dash to the line started, because Remco would have surpassed the Slovenian. That's a criticism of Remco for losing the right wheels at the critical moment, more than a slight to Primoz's fine performance.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Agreed, I'm not suggesting Roglic wasn't fantastic, if my post is read carefully. It seems, however, that the rise to the line determined why Roglic's teammate could not pilot him closer to the finish. It also explains why, despite being forced to go early, nobody in Roglic's immediate vicinity could overtaken him. It also shows Roglic was lucky Evenepoel was not on his wheel when the dash to the line started, because Remco would have surpassed the Slovenian. That's a criticism of Remco for losing the right wheels at the critical moment, more than a slight to Primoz's fine performance.
That is why I and somebody else replied. There was nothing lucky in the way Rogla won today. Except maybe in the sense that everybody who stayed on his bike was lucky.

Reactions: acm and Carols
And Evenepoel was lucky he didn't have to start the sprint in front. Primoz winning was very impressive, normally you can't win from a few hundred meters out.

That is why I and somebody else replied. There was nothing lucky in the way Rogla won today. Except maybe in the sense that everybody who stayed on his bike was lucky.
Who said he won on luck, not me? I merely said he was lucky that Remco wasn't better positioned there, which isn't to say his win was "lucky," because it clearly was the fruit of a well executed run-in. Roglic, moreover, was forced to launch his sprint when his last leadout man pulled off at 300 meters to the line, because the road was slightly rising and the guy was cooked.

Jesus, this thread and Remco loosing apologists. Looks like every race, everyone that end up in front of god tier Remco are just lucky.
This is utter nonsense, it's called race analysis. It's done after every race. Remco just unexpectedly happened to be a protagonist in the sprint, which in itself is noteworthy, and, had he been better positioned, actually could have won. No apology, if anything criticism.

The average might be a bit misleading because there are a lot of sections 10%. So guess it will be hard enough to drop people if you are better. Overall it looks like a climb for the climbers who like the different changes in pace.
I don't agree. This is perfect for Evenepoel is he's in top form. Early-mid section is the hardest, drop everyone there, people that hang on too long lose a huge chunk of time.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Looks like a classic Remco diesel climb

If Rog gets dropped like he was at TA, Remco likely isn't slowing down and allowing him to come back. Remco will simply drag a group of 3 or 4 away to the finish, like he did in the UAE Tour, possibly grinding them down in the process
He’s going to finish solo tomorrow or win the sprint. Don’t think Roglic will finish with him

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
How does wheelsucking even come up in responding to my post? First of all, in a sprint to the line it's not called "wheelsucking," but "positioning." Secondly, Evenepoel indeed matched Roglic in power over the last 300 meters, but only was badly positioned and thus started way too far back. Roglic played it perfectly, so chapeau, although he was lucky too, because had Evenepoel been better positioned it's likely that the Belgian would have claimed victory, since he was faster.

Roglic has more experience with these his almost signature, trademark finishes. However, tomorrow is a MTF at over 2100 meters. So this will be the first real test for those wanting to win this Vuelta a Catalunya.
Not to meant you had referenced "wheelsucking" so no issue there. As for Remco being faster....he could've started his sprint earlier, too. He didn't, wasn't faster and came second. That's how the races work and folks do constantly classify Roglic's wins as a product of luck or using the work of others. Today was 300 meters of solid effort; he didn't look at any followers and you assume he couldn't have gone faster if he felt pressed. Neither you nor I know how much faster he could've gone; particularly if he didn't need to hold a 300m uphill effort.

Reactions: acm
Not likely, sorry. Roglic hit the front early yes, but the error was mitigated by the road rising to the line, which made it harder to come around him in the end. And Remco wasn't just a bit back, but terribly positioned to come through for the win.

Had Evenepoel been on his temmate's wheel he likely would have overtaken Roglic, given the burst of speed he showed today. But sprints are won on positioning often more than pure velocity, as was the case today. And I doubt he saved more energy than Roglic before the Slovenian opened up the sprint, because Primoz had two teammates piloting him.
"Had, would have, doubt, because..." You need to accept Primoz won. Tomorrow is another race and it could all change.

TRENDING THREADS