• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So 15km at 6.7% and 2150m altitude tomorrow, will it be hard enough for significant gaps?
This climb has been used as a MTF in this race four times since 2013, the gaps from first to tenth were 21 seconds in both 2013 and 2014, 53 seconds in 2019 and 36 seconds in 2021, so that indicates what kind of gaps to expect. The stage 5 MTF produced bigger gaps the only time it’s been used this century (in 2017, 1:11 from first to tenth) but this one is still the second-hardest climb in the race and the attacks usually start decently early because the middle section is the hardest. It’s a fairly good MTF for being effectively unipuerto, IMO.

Not to meant you had referenced "wheelsucking" so no issue there. As for Remco being faster....he could've started his sprint earlier, too. He didn't, wasn't faster and came second. That's how the races work and folks do constantly classify Roglic's wins as a product of luck or using the work of others. Today was 300 meters of solid effort; he didn't look at any followers and you assume he couldn't have gone faster if he felt pressed. Neither you nor I know how much faster he could've gone; particularly if he didn't need to hold a 300m uphill effort.

Remco started his sprint earlier than Roglic, yes he was that far back.

And nobody is not accepting Roglic victory....

This climb has been used as a MTF in this race four times since 2013, the gaps from first to tenth were 21 seconds in both 2013 and 2014, 53 seconds in 2019 and 36 seconds in 2021, so that indicates what kind of gaps to expect. The stage 5 MTF produced bigger gaps the only time it’s been used this century (in 2017, 1:11 from first to tenth) but this one is still the second-hardest climb in the race and the attacks usually start decently early because the middle section is the hardest. It’s a fairly good MTF for being effectively unipuerto, IMO.
Thanks.

So not very big time gaps between the favorites.

edit: just looked up the top10 in 2021:

Pity Yates was involved in the crash. Was expecting this a good climb for him, seems to be true.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not to meant you had referenced "wheelsucking" so no issue there. As for Remco being faster....he could've started his sprint earlier, too. He didn't, wasn't faster and came second. That's how the races work and folks do constantly classify Roglic's wins as a product of luck or using the work of others. Today was 300 meters of solid effort; he didn't look at any followers and you assume he couldn't have gone faster if he felt pressed. Neither you nor I know how much faster he could've gone; particularly if he didn't need to hold a 300m uphill effort.
I was not classifying Roglic's win as lucky, as I explained up thread. My call is that Remco was coming up faster than Roglic, but that wasn't enough for the win. Chapeau Primoz. Now I speculate that had Remco been on Van Willer's wheel or indeed Roglic's, he likely would have won, but that didn't happen so it remains hypothetical. I don't think Roglic had more speed in his legs at the line, precisely because it was an uphill sprint and he started from 300 meters out. By contrast, Remco started to sprint from even further out due to his terrible position, but he looked to be the faster of the two on the run in. Coming second doesn't mean his absolute velocity wasn't faster, only that he ran out of road to overtake Roglic (as so often happens in sprints, when the fastest guy loses because he started way too far back).

So I'd say they are both in fine form, and it will be the mountains to decide who is stronger.

It was raced extremely passively in 2013 and 2014 IIRC. I don't think it's very representative. 30 guys within a minute in 2013. It's similar in profile to Pico Jano except harder and higher. One team can decide to drill the first 3rd and gaps are big.

Unless I'm in extremely good shape I'm not even trying to follow Evenepoel I'm just looking at my stem probably.

That said, IIRC Tortosa was basically the most biblical VAM of like 2012-2019

Reactions: Riek s
The new Remco

FrrPkXUWwAAU1te

He won't wear that tomorrow.

It was raced extremely passively in 2013 and 2014 IIRC. I don't think it's very representative. 30 guys within a minute in 2013. It's similar in profile to Pico Jano except harder and higher. One team can decide to drill the first 3rd and gaps are big.

Unless I'm in extremely good shape I'm not even trying to follow Evenepoel I'm just looking at my stem probably.

That said, IIRC Tortosa was basically the most biblical VAM of like 2012-2019
Even if you were in extremely good shape, you wouldn't make it to the final climb in the peloton.

Given the form Evenepoel is in, and having just returned from altitude, I'd be very surprised if anyone finishes within half a minute of him. Yates would have been a good bet, Roglic if he was in a really good climbing form but I don't think he is (yet) so that leaves Evenepoel.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Bad news for Cataldo, Trek says multiple fractures:
"A CT scan performed at the hospital revealed that Dario has sustained a fractured left femoral head & right acetabulum (the ‘ball & socket’ joint of the hip), two transverse process fractures of the lumbar spine without neurological impact, multiple broken ribs with a collapsed lung on both sides and a fractured left collarbone. "

View: https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1637902368443604993

This is utter nonsense, it's called race analysis. It's done after every race. Remco just unexpectedly happened to be a protagonist in the sprint, which in itself is noteworthy, and, had he been better positioned, actually could have won. No apology, if anything criticism.

I know we're in a post-truth world these days, but to suggest this Remco-Roglic commentary is the norm is going overboard. I couldn't watch this morning; when I came online to open this thread and saw there were 14 pages of comments after just stage 1 of Catalunya, I knew that Remco and Roglic had to have been involved (in some way) in the finale) Fourteen pages and the day is not over. Both Paris-Nice and Tirreno, arguably much bigger races, which also had big star power, each had 8 pages of comments after their respective first stages. And that Stage 1 of PN included Pogacar and Vingo, in their first big rematch since the Tour, sprinting for mountain bonus points. Yet Remco and Roglic generate twice as much commentary.

Last edited:
I know we're in a post-truth world these days, but to suggest this Remco-Roglic commentary is the norm is going overboard. I couldn't watch this morning; when I came online to open this thread and saw there were 14 pages of comments after just stage 1 of Catalunya, I knew that Remco and Roglic had to have been involved (in some way) in the finale) !4 pages and the day is not over. Both Paris-Nice and Tirreno, arguably much bigger races with big star power, each had 8 pages of comment after their respective first stages. And that Stage 1 of PN included Pogacar and Vingo, in their first big rematch since the Tour, sprinting for mountain bonus points. Yet Remco and Roglic generate twice as much commentary.
Count your blessings Almeida aka Almida wasn't Involved!

I know we're in a post-truth world these days, but to suggest this Remco-Roglic commentary is the norm is going overboard. I couldn't watch this morning; when I came online to open this thread and saw there were 14 pages of comments after just stage 1 of Catalunya, I knew that Remco and Roglic had to have been involved (in some way) in the finale) !4 pages and the day is not over. Both Paris-Nice and Tirreno, arguably much bigger races with big star power, each had 8 pages of comment after their respective first stages. And that Stage 1 of PN included Pogacar and Vingo, in their first big rematch since the Tour, sprinting for mountain bonus points. Yet Remco and Roglic generate twice as much commentary.
It's absolutely bananas. I detatch and then it's immensely enjoyable

Roglič deviated a bit towards Remco at the end. This old dog is learning new tricks.

Tommorow Remco needs to destroy the field by 30s+ or i don't know who this "equal or better then Pogačar" guy is.

The barrier was closing in at the end. It was a normal line.

That's not a new trick for him. Stage 16 of the Vuelta last year he was already deviating towards the opposition in a sprint.

He was hit on stage 16 by someone who did not want to accept that the wheel in front was being taken by someone else.

TRENDING THREADS