• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 11: Cambados > Pontevedra I.T.T. (39,4 kms)

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eshnar said:
The day I'll see something amazing in the Vuelta, I won't hesitate to praise whoever the responsible will be. But it's not the case yet. And imho it will never be unless the management gets wiped out.

From your point of view maybe 10 boring stages and then 2 stages of 2 hours action is what a gt should be. And i certainly dont disagree that can be great too.

But for all those sitting down this afternoon to watch their 1 hour highlights pack, they will see action, just as they will have seen action on 90% of the stages so far. And they will think they have got very good entertainment value for their time.

And of course for us here, debating actual action and gc changes post stage every day is better than drreaming off about which sprinter/ breakaway won the latest snoozefest stage.

Bavarianrider said:
Tony should really quit the season. If he continues he'll only emberasse him further.
Time to call it a day and prepare for striking back next year!
Don't worry, nobody cares about the Vuelta (right?)

RVPRVP said:
Dont hate Dekker but he has been awful on every climb really and gets beat by Valverde and Purito in an ITT ,i cant see him winning a GT not when Froome is 27 and Contador 29 and Nibali will probably do Giro for a few years now aswell so thats not an option and Gesink will never get a podium in TDF.I do think on top form he could podium a GT but i cant see it ,youve also got Schleck if he sorts his headout.

I think Gesink will be like VDB and Kreuziger,a few top 5 GC results which by the way is not bad atall,i just cant see him taking that next stop.

No one can say he's on bad form either he was brilliant in the olympics.
The Gesink we're seeing right now is simply not on his best (climbing) form. He can't be, he had an injury which the doctors say takes about a year to be back to 100% muscle strength.

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Froome only lost 22 seconds, he's not done yet. Contador has won 16 time trials or something in his career. What has Froome ever won? People shouldn't act so surprised to see Contador is doing a better time trial. It might be because he's better at it. ;)

Oh come on man Froome lost 22 secs and he's completly cooked,Contador is a great ITT but Froome would of smoked Kessiakof on form you know that.And you say Froome is not done yet come on man ,the stage your fav Gilbert won did you see Froome coming over the line blowing like hell at the back.
This next week i predict Froome cracking sort of like Anton has been doing losing seconds every stage thats what youll see the next stages,Team Sky helping him like Euskaltel have helped Anton.

The Hitch said:
Besides, i dont see how it is designed to minimize gaps. Its a 53 minute effort involving all neccesary skills - sprinting through corners, technical descent, climbing and pan flat.

Plenty of time and space for stronger riders to put in big gaps. If the gaps are so small its because the weaker tters - Purito and Valverde, happen to be the ones with the best form. They did afterall finish 2nd 3rd 4th and 6th on the tt so it was clear they were all going well.
It's the only ITT in the whole race, it isn't particularly long, and it fit the likes of Purito like a glove. Of course it was designed to minimize gaps.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
conti still has to drop everyone else.

they can now follow. and beat him to the bonus seconds. so conti still has to drop everyone and they won't be riding for him anymore (like froome did in the first week).

anyone but contador or valverde, pleeeeeeease.

Its not Bertie who needs to drop every1, but every1 who needs drop Purito. Froome needs to attack too and so does Valverde. And now we get to the real mountains, the looong ones, which doesnt play into Purito's hands (he will take some seconds tomorrow though).

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
goggalor said:
But his main rival Contador's been doing the same, Purito's just better at it.

So far yes, and tomorrow too. But from saturday its the real deal, and those stages suit Contador better than JRod

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
It's nice to see not all Sky riders can peak all year long though.

Yh what a fool you look now i have been reading on this forum since Dauphine and you was the biggest hypocrite in the tour threads.You seem to hate Sky and Bits one of your funniest post's was nibali will still win,on about stage 10 you said it. You was like nibali is superiour to Wiggins in the mountains,well guess what Nibali did not take a single sec from Wiggo in the mountains.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
RVPRVP said:
Yh what a fool you look now i have been reading on this forum since Dauphine and you was the biggest hypocrite in the tour threads.You seem to hate Sky and Bits one of your funniest post's was nibali will still win,on about stage 10 you said it. You was like nibali is superiour to Wiggins in the mountains,well guess what Nibali did not take a single sec from Wiggo in the mountains.

So I guess u are a Sky-fan? Why are u attacking him talking about Nibs when he isnt talking about that at all? What he says is right and tbh its a good thing for Sky that their wont be to much Clinic talk. I agree that its good to see that Froome is human and that fatigue kicks in after the Tour. U seem bitter

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Not sure of the point of speculating what the results would be without bonus seconds. They are part of the race and reflect that JRod has had more top 3 finishes or wins.

I love bonus seconds. Adds that extra edge to it

theyoungest said:
Don't worry, nobody cares about the Vuelta (right?)

The Gesink we're seeing right now is simply not on his best (climbing) form. He can't be, he had an injury which the doctors say takes about a year to be back to 100% muscle strength.

...and yet his flat time trialing is every bit as good as it was before, if not better (Suisse, Cali). Makes sense. It's been more than 11 months now, anyway. :p

well that was one of the most exciting itt's in a long time.
before the race,i was asking myself indeed if kessiakoff can pull out such a performance.it seems like he did,absolutely beast of a time trial for him,super awesome.
extraordinary fast on the ascent...more than 31 km/h for 10 km@4,4%!

i think for us,who are expecting an alberto-chris showdown...that wasn't a very good sign...froomey is not fresh like in the tour,i'm afraid in asturia he will crack somewhere and he will lose the podium...but there is always tour 2013...still huge chapeau to him for giving his best here.

alberto is definitely on the rise and i think in the next mountains stages he will be strong as hell
about alejandro,i was a little bit scared at the first check but he kept all his energy for the climb and the finish.super strong performance

purito?i expected him to be in the top 20 but this 7th place is a huge surprise.above meyer,gesink,de gendt...it shows you that the work payed off.tomorrow he will strike again.congrats to him for this magnificent performance.

RVPRVP

BANNED
Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
So I guess u are a Sky-fan? Why are u attacking him talking about Nibs when he isnt talking about that at all? What he says is right and tbh its a good thing for Sky that their wont be to much Clinic talk. I agree that its good to see that Froome is human and that fatigue kicks in after the Tour. U seem bitter

Well not sky paticuarlly im a Brit and follow Brit riders i just feel for Froome ,the day Gilbert won Froome was blowing like hell coming over the line at the back of 40 odd riders.
My fav rider is Basso i love watching tempo climber's and he was the king Diesel just dont think he has got it now,the Giro 2006 was the best and 2010.

The Hitch said:
But for all those sitting down this afternoon to watch their 1 hour highlights pack, they will see action, just as they will have seen action on 90% of the stages so far. And they will think they have got very good entertainment value for their time.
1 hour? let's say 10 minutes. As I said plenty of times, what's the difference in having Cavendish (or Sagan) bossing a flat sprint or JRod (or Piti) bossing an uphill one? You see the (Sky) train rolling, then @ 1 to go you expect someone may try to anticipate, then at 200m to go the sprint starts and it's over.
But a lot of guys in the flat case say "omg how boring this is" and in the uphill say "omg how awesome this is"... I. Don't. Get. It.

As for the breakaway stages yes, I find them boring too. But it's not enough to call this amazing...

TRENDING THREADS