• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2015 rumours

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Today's print edition of Marca unveils the missing uphill finish: stage 7 will finish in Capileira, on the southern slopes of Sierra Nevada.

The climb includes the first profile from km3 to km19 and then the first 4kms of the second profile:

Trevelez1.gif

Capileira.gif

The shortest path from departure to finish is around 180kms and does not include any significant climb.

Marca also states that stage 18 will finish somewhere in the province of Valladolid, so the parcourse will be something like this:

Stage 1: Puerto Banús (ITT/TTT)
Stage 2: Alhaurín de la Torre - Caminito del Rey (Cat2 MTF)
Stage 3: Mijas - Málaga (flat)
Stage 4: Estepona - Vejer de la frontera (HTF)
Stage 5: Cádiz??? - Sevilla???
Stage 6: Córdoba??? - Cazorla (HTF)
Stage 7: Jódar - Capileira (MTF)
Stage 8: ??? - Murcia (after cat2 Cresta del Gallo)
Stage 9: Torrevieja - Cumbre del Sol (Cat2 MTF)
Stage 10: Valencia - Castellón (after cat2 Desierto de las Palmas)
1st rest day
Stage 11: Andorra mountain stage (~4500m of climbing, MTF)
Stage 12: Andorra - Lleida
Stage 13: Calatayud - Tarazona (rolling terrain stage around Sierra del Moncayo)
Stage 14: Vitoria - Fuente del Chivo (MTF, single climb)
Stage 15: Comillas - Jitu de Escarandi (MTF, probably preceded by a few cat3 or cat2 climbs far from the finish)
Stage 16: Luarca - Ermita de Alba (~4500m of climbing , MTF)
2nd rest day
Stage 17: Burgos ITT (~40kms, flat, through the climb to the castle)
Stage 18: Roa de Duero - Valladolid (flat, windy???)
Stage 19: Medina del Campo - Ávila (hilly???)
Stage 20: Sierra de Guadarrama (mountain, downhill finish)
Stage 21: Madrid parade (flat)

Official race presentation will be next Saturday.

If they do Rabassa + Gallina + Comella + Els Cortals in the Andorra stage and then Via Pará + Cordal + Cobertoria E + Ermita de Alba in Asturias, and they include a couple of hilly stages and a decent ITT, I'll be willing to give this route a chance.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Descender said:
Lovely finish. If they don't **** it up it can even produce (lo and behold!) some descending action. Memories of Contador and Rojas riding away from the pack in the 2010 Spanish championship.

That was in 2011. 2010 Spanish championships were hosted in windy Albacete.

BTW, I read somewhere a rumour about doing 2 laps around Desierto de las Palmas as they did in the 2011 Spanish nationals, but no reliable sources where referenced.

Descender said:
If they do Rabassa + Gallina + Comella + Els Cortals in the Andorra stage and then Via Pará + Cordal + Cobertoria E + Ermita de Alba in Asturias, and they include a couple of hilly stages and a decent ITT, I'll be willing to give this route a chance.
How did you rate the Giro btw?

icefire said:
That was in 2011. 2010 Spanish championships were hosted in windy Albacete.

BTW, I read somewhere a rumour about doing 2 laps around Desierto de las Palmas as they did in the 2011 Spanish nationals, but no reliable sources where referenced.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the year but I was too lazy to look it up and I figured somebody would correct me if I messed it up. :cool:;)

Eshnar said:
How did you rate the Giro btw?

Can't remember. But I just had a look at the route again and I don't think there's ever been such a ridiculously backloaded GT. Wake me up at the start of the third week.

Red Rick said:
I still have faith in something better than the last 4 years

My dog could do a better route than the last 4 years. And she's been dead for two years.

Descender said:
Yeah I wasn't sure about the year but I was too lazy to look it up and I figured somebody would correct me if I messed it up. :cool:;)

Can't remember. But I just had a look at the route again and I don't think there's ever been such a ridiculously backloaded GT. Wake me up at the start of the third week.

My dog could do a better route than the last 4 years. And she's been dead for two years.

Giro '12 asks where you have been...

"Se confirma etapón en la Vuelta 2015, con salida y llegada en Andorra: seis puertos y más de 5.000 metros de desnivel en menos de 140 kilómetros. ¡Brutal!

Just confirmed the queen stage for the 2015 Vuelta a Espana with departure and arrival in Andorra:

6 summits with 5.000 meter of climbing in less that 140 kilometer- Brutal!!
:eek: :D

Eshnar said:
it can't get better than that... in the 21st century Vuelta.
I'm sure on the Dolomites I can get something way better.
With previously used climbs, start and finish?

Probably only something something like Giau/Fedaia/Pordoi.

(...)

Okay gave it a shot (but cheated a bit with using Pordoi twice) Arabba -> Pordoi -> Sella -> Gardena -> Valparola -> Giau -> Fedaia -> Pordoi (~138km)

I'm sure you can do something similar in the same area. I doubt you can do something better in under 130km though.

Netserk said:
With previously used climbs, start and finish?

Probably only something something like Giau/Fedaia/Pordoi.

(...)

Okay gave it a shot (but cheated a bit with using Pordoi twice) Arabba -> Pordoi -> Sella -> Gardena -> Valparola -> Giau -> Fedaia -> Pordoi (~138km)

I'm sure you can do something similar in the same area.
first thing I thought was Agordo - Duran - Staulanza - Giau - Falzarego - Fedaia - Pordoi... yours ain't bad either

TRENDING THREADS