• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 12 Motril - Antequera 160,1 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Angliru said:
GraftPunk said:
He's already said himself he simply lost the front wheel both times due to slippery road conditions. Maybe the pointless debate can now end?

He likely braked in the turn as the bike was leaning. I speak from experience that is a no-no. Brake before the turn otherwise you're hitting the railing if your going too fast or your bike slides out from under you. Definitely don't use the front brake in a high speed turn. Of course in a moment of desperation we all might tend to forget these things in order maintain control.

Contador said the road 'wasn't wet' but 'had the kind of shine you are wise to respect'.

Electress said:
Angliru said:
GraftPunk said:
He's already said himself he simply lost the front wheel both times due to slippery road conditions. Maybe the pointless debate can now end?

He likely braked in the turn as the bike was leaning. I speak from experience that is a no-no. Brake before the turn otherwise you're hitting the railing if you're going too fast or your bike slides out from under you. Definitely don't use the front brake in a high speed turn. Of course in a moment of desperation we all might tend to forget these things in order maintain control.

Contador said the road 'wasn't wet' but 'had the kind of shine you are wise to respect'.

My experience came in a 45 degree turn at high speed on dry roads at the bottom of a descent. Thought I could hold my speed going into the turn but realized that the curb was coming up too quickly, panicked, just touched the front brake and down I went. Wet or dry at high speed leaning into a turn it's likely to result in a crash.

I like the line "wise to respect". :)

Can someone explain to me the reason Meintjes became a cyclist? As if the Tour wasnt bad enough hes now doing the exact same thing, eternally hanging on the back of the favorites group, but now for a 20th place in GC. With these legs he could've won the stage today. What is wrong with this kid.

Summary of the day.

If the leader crashes and you push on, you are a man with no morality, a cheater, bla bla bla
If the leader crashes and you don't push on, you are a pussy, a disappointment, bla bla bla

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Its kinda obvious that the only 2 riders that can bother Froome are Nibali & Contador ...everyone else is either hanging on or riding for podium/top5

Today Nibali should have gone with Contador ......SKY are not beatable in MTF (at the moment unless Froome gets tired or has a mishap) but are vunlerbale everywhere else...this is where nibali has to go for it .... (Roche and Contador had a talk and decided to attack ...even though Roche did not have the legs to stay with Contador on the climb) ...but why did Contador and Nibali not talk ? or even if they didnt surely Nibali coudl see it as an opportunity when Contador attacks ?

If Nibali had followed Contador's move, Sky would have closed the gap straight away. No doubt about it.
Or maybe they would have left the two cook for a while, reeling them in by the top.

Don't forget that on top Contador had an advantage of 16 secs only.

huge said:
HelloDolly said:
Its kinda obvious that the only 2 riders that can bother Froome are Nibali & Contador ...everyone else is either hanging on or riding for podium/top5

Today Nibali should have gone with Contador ......SKY are not beatable in MTF (at the moment unless Froome gets tired or has a mishap) but are vunlerbale everywhere else...this is where nibali has to go for it .... (Roche and Contador had a talk and decided to attack ...even though Roche did not have the legs to stay with Contador on the climb) ...but why did Contador and Nibali not talk ? or even if they didnt surely Nibali coudl see it as an opportunity when Contador attacks ?

If Nibali had followed Contador's move, Sky would have closed the gap straight away. No doubt about it.
Or maybe they would have left the two cook for a while, reeling them in by the top.

Of course.

Rollthedice said:
huge said:
HelloDolly said:

Of course.

If Nibali and Contador go hard for it, they can get Froome isolated in a very tricky situation at least. If Froome crashes with no teammate and Contador and Nibali riding away, he's *** a lot more than he ended up being.

39 Big Photos and Paintings from Stage 12 (more to come) — sirotti/aso/smith:
http://www.steephill.tv/2017/vuelta-a-espana/photos/stage-12/

172300_stage%2012%2006.jpg

173915_683195321.jpg

174136_683227775.jpg

Re:

huge said:
Summary of the day.

If the leader crashes and you push on, you are a man with no morality, a cheater, bla bla bla
If the leader crashes and you don't push on, you are a pussy, a disappointment, bla bla bla

My version

If nothing particularly is happening in GC and a dog runs into the front wheel of the leader and you attack then you are a man with no morality, a cheater, bla bla bla (OK I'm exaggerating a bit here ;) )

If the race is on and the leader falls due to nobody else's fault and you don't push on, you are a pussy, a disappointment, bla bla bla (again I'm exaggerating and it depends on your personal goals)

OK this does leave a spacious grey area. Froome's not blaming anybody or anything else for what happened today, so he obviously thinks that this is just part of racing and the second case most definitely holds. I think most of the comments of "why aren't they waiting?" were in jest.

Very nicely designed stage and chapeau to Contador for attacking yet again. We will miss him...

Gigs_98 said:
hrotha said:
Even if Froome abandoned right now, that wouldn't mean Nibali was smart. Instead of taking time NOW, which he could easily have done, we're hoping an unforeseen and unpredictable consequence of Froome's crashes will allow him to maybe perhaps gain time at an unspecified later stage, if all goes well? Meh.

Nibali is being extremely disappointing this year, and not because he has worse legs than in previous seasons.
Nibali was disappointing today but I generally disagree. He was sneaking his way to a stage win, he was attacking on stage 10, he was the most aggressive rider yesterday and even on stage 6 to Sagunt he was attacking on the final descent trying to bridge to the Contador group instead of just trying to control the race. I'm really not disappointed, but he just generally has the problem this year that he doesn't have a good team. Long range attacks are very difficult if you can neither effectively decimate the peloton to complicate the chase nor have teammates in front who can help you in valleys.
I agree with Gigs about Vuelta though I have to say that Nibali was disappointing in the Giro. (He should have been a lot more aggressive there)

Also, since I didn't watch the stage, I have to ask a thing. Nibali was only working on the front on the last 1-2 km or so reading the posts on here, right?
Because on another forum I read that he was leading the group on the descent and that Bahrain-Merida was pulling long before the final 2 km.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

huge said:
Summary of the day.

This basically sums up how social media work nowadays, on pretty much any subject

Re:

Forever The Best said:
Very nicely designed stage and chapeau to Contador for attacking yet again. We will miss him...

Gigs_98 said:
hrotha said:
Even if Froome abandoned right now, that wouldn't mean Nibali was smart. Instead of taking time NOW, which he could easily have done, we're hoping an unforeseen and unpredictable consequence of Froome's crashes will allow him to maybe perhaps gain time at an unspecified later stage, if all goes well? Meh.

Nibali is being extremely disappointing this year, and not because he has worse legs than in previous seasons.
Nibali was disappointing today but I generally disagree. He was sneaking his way to a stage win, he was attacking on stage 10, he was the most aggressive rider yesterday and even on stage 6 to Sagunt he was attacking on the final descent trying to bridge to the Contador group instead of just trying to control the race. I'm really not disappointed, but he just generally has the problem this year that he doesn't have a good team. Long range attacks are very difficult if you can neither effectively decimate the peloton to complicate the chase nor have teammates in front who can help you in valleys.
I agree with Gigs about Vuelta though I have to say that Nibali was disappointing in the Giro. (He should have been a lot more aggressive there)

Also, since I didn't watch the stage, I have to ask a thing. Nibali was only working on the front on the last 1-2 km or so reading the posts on here, right?
Because on another forum I read that he was leading the group on the descent and that Bahrain-Merida was pulling long before the final 2 km.

He had Delfino pulling for awhile which is not quite the man to put time into Froome +2 ready to die doms and of course he was pulling himself together with some Astana guys but most of the group seemed uninterested in doing proper group work. It's obvious he wanted to loose as little time to Contador as possible and gain as much time as possible on Froome but given the circumstances it wasn't possible to do more. Anyway 20 seconds out of nowhere is good.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
According to a witness, the spectator who pushed Belkov had Down syndrome.
The person who ran after him was his father.
It all makes a bit more sense now and is also a bit sad. I guess the father never expected this would happen.
Well, I guess that makes it more of a sad incident than a case of senseless agression. Still though, Belkov must've had a *** day. Dozens of riders had past but when looking at Belkov made a mentally challenged man charge at the pro peloton. I mean what the hell?

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
According to a witness, the spectator who pushed Belkov had Down syndrome.
The person who ran after him was his father.
It all makes a bit more sense now and is also a bit sad. I guess the father never expected this would happen.

Maybe he thought he was going after Froome, red jersey and all?! Ok, that's not funny... Yeah looking at that video, something is amiss beside the obvious behavior of pushing a rider. Belkov is lucky he wasn't injured more.

Also that video of the policeman pushing that fan across the path of the motorcycle. Crazy day at the Vuelta on so many levels!

TRENDING THREADS