• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 Stage 11: Mombuey - Luintra 207.8 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

axl

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
axl said:
Pinot doesn't want to target the GC I think. He may prefer a stage victory + good preparation for WC and IL than a 5th place in Madrid.
If he doesn't want to go for the GC, then why bother finishing in the same time in sprint stages, hanging on in mountain stages?

He tried in the first week to evaluate his form, built form. But he also lost 2'30'' and knows he won't have a real shot at winning, even podium.
I don't think it's a dumb move. If he targets the GC until Madrid he will do a top10, top5 at best. He may prefer to target some stages and keep some freshness for the end of the season. And he has a chance to try a coup on a stage like this, he tries it.

The tactics of the break are stupid. A break of that size with those kind of riders should easily be able to keep a good advantage over a peloton where only Movistar is working yet they keep attacking each other behaving as if they have already won anyway

axl

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
The tactics of the break are stupid. A break of that size with those kind of riders should easily be able to keep a good advantage over a peloton where only Movistar is working yet they keep attacking each other behaving as if they have already won anyway

Half of them don't want to pull, there's no way the others will want to push hard and gain time.

axl said:
Gigs_98 said:

Half of them don't want to pull, there's no way the others will want to push hard and gain time.
That's exactly my point. At this rate the break is gonna get caught by the peloton but still half the riders aren't working for no apparent reason. I mean except half of them want to get caught

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Rolf Sørensen thinks Matteo Trentin has kept himself from winning stages because he needed to help Simon Yates later on. Thats beyond stupid.
Yeah, I doubt even Trentin would pull that excuse.
Sometimes the commentators are saying things in order to present some general tactical approaches to the viewers, not necessary true or right.