• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Burgos 2021 (August 3-7)

vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-1-profile-5d4a640746.jpg

vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-2-profile-675c3181d2.jpg

vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-3-profile-9aeefc4b36.jpg

vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-4-profile-a7978ac92b.jpg

vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-5-profile-02db57f416.jpg

Picón Blanco, stage 3:
vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-3-climb-n4-c74a24028d.jpg

Lagunas de Neila, stage 5:
vuelta-a-burgos-2021-stage-5-climb-n4-d30fd49821.jpg

Startlist: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/vuelta-a-burgos/2021/stage-5/startlist

Some names of interest:
Bernal, Landa, Carthy, Bardet, Padun.

The most awaited race of 2020 is back this year.
Just like last year the field is stacked of WT teams, including most of the riders who will race La Vuelta and did not race Le Tour. I only miss A.Yates, who has only raced the Olympics and San Sebastian since Liege.

With the addition of the Olympics and the early start of La Vuelta this year there's only one week between Burgos and La Vuelta instead of the more common two weeks.

The race course is known to follow a pattern that only changes host towns of the two flat stages. The last update to this pattern was in 2017 with the introduction of the MTF at Picón Blanco and the reduction of climbing in the final mountain stage to Lagunas de Neila.

As expected, Javier Guillén liked Picón Blanco and it was just a matter of time to see it hosting a Vuelta stage finish, an event that will happen this year. Then, the authorities and the organiser of the Vuelta a Burgos decided to troll Guillén and paved another road to the summit to have it as a descent finish. It's a shame they've done it one year too late so we'll miss watching Remco doing this descent.

Looking forward to the introduction of Picón Blanco into a shallow MTF at Estación de Esquí Lunada for a future Vuelta now descending Picón Blanco is a possibility. That could be a genuine Mortirolo-Aprica type pairing. Especially as in the Vuelta you could come from Cantabria and have Portillo de la Sía or something.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looking forward to the introduction of Picón Blanco into a shallow MTF at Estación de Esquí Lunada for a future Vuelta now descending Picón Blanco is a possibility. That could be a genuine Mortirolo-Aprica type pairing. Especially as in the Vuelta you could come from Cantabria and have Portillo de la Sía or something.
Sceptical about that one if I look at their use of Cobertoria or San Lorenzo

What, no DQS?!:eek:
I don't believe it! How could they do this to Remco? I mean it is a place of his biggest success, we have stacked field again, Bernal is here, Yates brothers, Landa, Sivakov, Bardet, Padun, Dani Martinez, Vlasov, Hugh Carthy, Fabio Aru... And on top of that, we have Picon Blanco again..!
What a shame!

Reactions: SHAD0W93
How steep is the final km in stage 1?
I k at about 6%. It’s the one Grosschartner won last year with an early attack and Nizzolo won the year before beating Aranburu at the line.

I have seen it twice and it leaves the idea of who might be favored to win up in the air till near the end usually a good finish, again I hope.

P.S. Breakaway not withstanding.

Reactions: Carols
Does Eurosport (GCN) have the rights to broadcast highlights of the stages? A shame really that they are not brodcasting the stages live, could be a really interesting race with loads of exciting starters

TRENDING THREADS