• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 10 Tarragona - Vilanova i la Geltrú 175.7km

Vuelta a España - Stage 10 Tarragona - Vilanova i la Geltrú 175.7km

Warning, this stage will take place after the rest day.

mapa10.jpg

10_perfil.gif

10uk.gif

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
4.4km @ 10.3%

A bit longer than Xorret del Cati but not quite as steep.

Definitely enough to knockout most of the sprinters, if not all of them.

even hushovd? 30km from the finish...if he did make it over he should be a shoe in for the stage...that could motivate him.

Pozzato? Gilbert? Hushovd's a great descender if he's not too far back. If the top guys really decide to burn it up, who's got a good sprint? I don't even know with this field of contenders. Velits? Although if he gets in the front, the aforementioned Pozzato and Gilbert will probably be there.

Could be an interesting stage. Or not.

Edit: I'm gonna pick Nic Roche.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Hushovd will make it over the climb in the front group, but he will have plenty of time to chase back on.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Detailed profile of Rat Penat below. The race will only do 4.5 km. The rest of the profile is a closed road going to a radar on top of the mountain.

ratpenat.PNG

Pics on google street view show narrow roads. There are also a few 'walls' in the descent. Not easy for those who drop in the climb to chase if the leaders set a good pace.

I love the Vuelta. Not too many sprint stages. Plenty of stages with some pleasant surprises in it. So much more versatile then le Tour.
This 4,4km of 10% will ditch all the sprinters. If the big guns decide to try something the bunch will be shattered into pieces, but I doubt they will.
Hushovd/Benatti and Bole will get a 2nd chance unless a group stays away.

Too bad we have to wait till tomorrow.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Probably it will be windy, it uses to be so in that area. The road is tricky, with many narrow areas, stretches of bad asphalt...I would expect big things, some favourites may even loose time if it is windy in the flats before the finish line.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
au contraire

khardung la said:
Probably it will be windy, it uses to be so in that area. The road is tricky, with many narrow areas, stretches of bad asphalt...I would expect big things, some favourites may even loose time if it is windy in the flats before the finish line.

That is a nasty climb with some steep gradients, but GC contenders will soft pedal it because of what's coming Wednesday. The question is how big a selection will be made...

Prediction: it will come down to a battle between sprinters' teams and a small group that gets away on the climb. Hushovd takes #2.

Cervélo might be interested in chasing if Hushovd makes it over the top of the climb, but if I were them I'd put Florencio in the break and be done with it. Now that Tondo looks to be a good bet for the GC and that Sastre might make a comeback, they might think there are better uses for Deignan and Cuesta than playing HTC.

But I sooo want Bole to win this.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Cervélo might be interested in chasing if Hushovd makes it over the top of the climb, but if I were them I'd put Florencio in the break and be done with it. Now that Tondo looks to be a good bet for the GC and that Sastre might make a comeback, they might think there are better uses for Deignan and Cuesta than playing HTC.

But I sooo want Bole to win this.

Yeah, if anybody deserves a stage win, it's him.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if 30k is too long to stay away, but if it comes down to a group of climbers in the finale then Rodriguez could finally take the red with the bonus seconds.

icefire said:
Detailed profile of Rat Penat below. The race will only do 4.5 km. The rest of the profile is a closed road going to a radar on top of the mountain.

ratpenat.PNG

Pics on google street view show narrow roads. There are also a few 'walls' in the descent. Not easy for those who drop in the climb to chase if the leaders set a good pace.

Ah, I was wondering why the profiles I googled were longer/higher than what the stage profile indicates. Thanks.

A nice few ramps there at the top!

I honestly don't think Thor will be able to win this, he will lose at best a couple of minutes on the climb... It would be some chase over the final 30km which itself is rarely flat.

A win from the break has to be the most likely outcome.

imy bet is hushovd passes the montain cus the leaders will soft pedal and then he will try to go for the stage win. but since manuel cardoso will be on his wheel he will get beaten by him on the last sprint.

anyway just my small non biased opinion obvly xD

on a serious side. gilbert seems like the best bet.

How about not forgetting Oscar Freire?:)

He has been rapidly improving the last couple of days it seems, and with Menchov a bit ut of GC contention, Rabobank might be willing to try and keep a break in distance for Freire to win.

I'm pretty sure we won't have a favorite group battling it out in the end, there's more likely going to be 30-50 riders going for it in a sprint, if a breakaway doesn't grab glory once again.

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see Vladimir Karpets do well. He's worked very hard so far. No idea if he is up to it but I will watch for him.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hushovd will win the stage if the GC contenders decide not to make a real battle of the climb (but based on prior stages, I bet they will).

Cervelo will be the only team willing to chase, maybe pick up a little help from Liquigas and that only if Hushovd and Bennati (respectively) make it over the climb. If they're dropped by the GC contender's attacks (i.e. if there are any attacks) then no one will chase and the break will stay away again.

TRENDING THREADS