• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 6 (Biescas - Aramón Formigal, 146.6 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The problem with La Farrapona is never La Farrapona. It's that every single time they climb it they put Angliru the next day, so nobody ever wants to risk anything on San Lorenzo or do anything beyond the last 5km. Literally do those exact same stages the other way round and the chances of action on the Farrapona stage increase dramatically. Angliru is going to create gaps anyway, so you don't need to incentivise it by putting it on the last day before the rest day.
They did it in 2014 as the final mountain stage of a 3 stage block after La Camperaona and Covadonga unipuertos and it was still choo choo until the final 5km, but I guess that was mostly dictated by the GC situation at the time.

I just want to see Cobertoria and San Lorenzo without the big MTF that always neutralizes them.

The problem with La Farrapona is never La Farrapona. It's that every single time they climb it they put Angliru the next day, so nobody ever wants to risk anything on San Lorenzo or do anything beyond the last 5km. Literally do those exact same stages the other way round and the chances of action on the Farrapona stage increase dramatically. Angliru is going to create gaps anyway, so you don't need to incentivise it by putting it on the last day before the rest day.

Yes, I complained about it in the Rumours thread. Just do it the other way around, it's not like they're going to whistle up the Angliru...

They did it in 2014 as the final mountain stage of a 3 stage block after La Camperaona and Covadonga unipuertos and it was still choo choo until the final 5km, but I guess that was mostly dictated by the GC situation at the time.

I just want to see Cobertoria and San Lorenzo without the big MTF that always neutralizes them.

Two stages that I'd like to see, done by the guys at plataformarecorridosciclistas.org:

oviedo-pola-de-lena.png

aviles-valle-de-lago.png

The first one has a 22km loop. The Vuelta has done shorter loops without problems, but if they feel like it's too risky they can add a couple kms in Pola de Lena before the final climb.

this time i think its gonna be "only" a battle of attraction between the big teams all the way up..
good memories.. i remember reading here what was going on and going crazy with no transmition..
btw, does anybody have the picture os Nairo hugging Contador backstage??
Ireland went into the highest level of restrictions last week just as our biggest sporting events the All Ireland hurling/Gaelic football championship was about to start so the government had to make quick changes so this and also soccer and rugby at top level could go ahead so its easy to believe Spain could do the same

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
I know those roads.
Middle mountain, up hill finish. It is the same stage that was already done in the Vuelta 2016, the famous Contador and Quintana vs Froome one, only a few irrelevant kilometers are added on the start. The chained betwen the Puertos is not bad, but they are still second category ports, I think 1 third and 2 second. The final ascent is a Ski Resort, so the road is wide and the condition of the asphalt is good. This is not hard, it is about 27 km that does not reach 4% on average, very long but generally stretched, with the hardest at the last kilometers.

The final kilometers are a continue ascension of 27 km at 3.9%

I know those roads.
Middle mountain, up hill finish. It is the same stage that was already done in the Vuelta 2016, the famous Contador and Quintana vs Froome one, only a few irrelevant kilometers are added on the start. The chained betwen the Puertos is not bad, but they are still second category ports, I think 1 third and 2 second. The final ascent is a Ski Resort, so the road is wide and the condition of the asphalt is good. This is not hard, it is about 27 km that does not reach 4% on average, very long but generally stretched, with the hardest at the last kilometers.

The final kilometers are a continue ascension of 27 km at 3.9%

Unfortunately El Pistolero ain’t here.

Reactions: Carols
Nice action for the formation of the break

Cavagna still pushing on solo and refusing to yield to the pace behind, but a few smaller groups trying to get away to join him and could consolidate into one bigger break. So many guys trying to get clear it feels the peloton aren't comfortable letting it go just in case there's a surprise

---

Loving the birds eye heli shots of all the different groups winding round the curves too.

Some pretty interesting names in that group. Verona will be a bunch of help if Movistar decide to try something and van Baarle likewise for Ineos; both Izagirre brothers are more than capable on a stage like this, Michael Woods is somebody who has a great finish on this kind of summit, this is good terrain for Rui Costa although it's a long time since he won much I guess, Sérgio Henao, Guillaume Martin (although he's probably done enough work of late, mind you I thought that of Ben O'Connor when he went in the Stelvio stage too).

TRENDING THREADS