• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 6 (Biescas - Aramón Formigal, 146.6 km)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking at the stage results Team Jumbo-Visma really desintegrated big time. And this was not the queen stage or anything.

Well we know they had to get Roglic back from the wrong side of the split which is what caused them to lose half the team since the peloton was pushing on and at one point Roglic seemed to decide to ditch his helpers and do the rest solo.

Still unclear what caused the split though. If it was Ineos distancing them on the descent then I guess the effort will have been harder for longer which may be why they fell apart so badly, but if it was just a personal issue for Roglic that Movistar decided to push during I'm surprised they weren't able to recover a bit more cohesively.

Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Roglič said he had some issues with his rain jacket on the penultimate climb, which meant they (JV) lost touch with the peloton on the descent. Said he paid the price for the mistake on the last climb of the day. I'm guessing opinions will be split over whether he did well to limit his losses or is too tired to be in contention for GC.

Reactions: richwallone
Sep 5, 2020
Visit site
Jackets not causing problems only in the Giro but apparently in Vuelta, too. But Roglič remains serene and has a positive attitude in the interview:

Oddly, he doesn't seem to be feeling the pressure of GC. He said in one of the pre-race interviews that he's here to race and enjoy himself.

A good ride by Grosschartner by the way coming in almost 20s ahead of Roglic

True! He said shortly before the Vuelta that he would always prefer cold and fog to the typical heat during a Vuelta in august/september. He now confirms that too. ;)

So far, I'm happy for him. As a more "punchy climber", the stages meet him so far and he rides without pressure. He and the team just want to see where his legs can take him.

Oddly, he doesn't seem to be feeling the pressure of GC. He said in one of the pre-race interviews that he's here to race and enjoy himself.

I guess having won it before takes the edge off really. They missed the seasons main goal but he's won so much that while this would be a nice consolation prize it's probably not going to really feel like it (re)defines the season.

Looking at the stage results Team Jumbo-Visma really desintegrated big time. And this was not the queen stage or anything.
Yes, I think the TDF is still in their legs, and the trajectory is downward. It's OK, they've won a stage at the Vuelta and were strong in France. It's cycling. Their time for this season has come and gone. They'll be back next year to make things interesting.

I guess having won it before takes the edge off really. They missed the seasons main goal but he's won so much that while this would be a nice consolation prize it's probably not going to really feel like it (re)defines the season.

We have no idea what happened, why Kuss lost so much time, why Roglic had to bridge the gap himself after the descent or why Enric Mas was also totally off form.

Wait & see. This is a long race.

True! He said shortly before the Vuelta that he would always prefer cold and fog to the typical heat during a Vuelta in august/september. He now confirms that too. ;)

So far, I'm happy for him. As a more "punchy climber", the stages meet him so far and he rides without pressure. He and the team just want to see where his legs can take him.
He's also a decent TTer. I'm happy for him, I managed to talk a bit with his father when he and the rest of his family came to support him at the start of the 2017 Piancavallo stage.

Reactions: ppanther92

TRENDING THREADS