• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 20 (Sanxenxo - Castro de Herville, 202.2 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a(n important) question: Why is it that so many Vuelta locations have such annoying names, including a dot. I mean, Mos. Castro de Herville... What is the meaning of that? This year has been tolerable as this is the only finish with such a ridiculous name but historically, they have had a ton of those. What's the deal? The name of a place can't surely have a dot in it!

Okay, the last couple of years haven't been too bad in that regard, but my eyes bleed when I look at the start and finishing cities of the 2018 editions.
Stage 10: Salamanca. VIII Centenario Universidad de Salamanc - Fermoselle. Bermillo de Sayago :eek:o_O
Population in some rural areas of Spain are scattered so that municipalities typically include several locations (small villages or hamlets)
Mos is the name of the municipality. Herville is the location. Castro is an old fortified contruction on top of a hill.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
This is going to hurt after three weeks of racing. I am very interested to see how Lopez goes. My theory is he doesn't recover well after winning tough MTFs - that's why he collapsed in 2020 TdF TT. Bernal is hanging tough and can still grab a podium by the end of the TT. Haig is a long shot but isn't out of it either.

It's the separation of two different names. Would you prefer a slash? (EDIT: Or like in the Tour this year for Portet to have both names in one go)

I think the first name pays and the second is the actual location.

Yeah, a slash or a bracket would be much better. Or maybe they could just decide where the finish actually is and they don't need to list a bunch of different things.

Oct 16, 2020
Visit site
It's already the last mountain stage, but might still come in handy, so thought I'd share it again:

You can ID Vuelta riders by start numbers quickly with Who's That Rider. I've also added the Benelux Tour startlist.

I've also added an 'add to home screen' button which lets you use the site as if it were a regular app on your phone. (Doesn't work on iOS unfortunately). Let me know if you have any feedback/suggestions for improvements to the site!

Reactions: MTV and DJ Sprtsch
So as before, if anything were to happen, it would really be something. But here's to hoping that this race has a final treat in store.

Here's to a rider who rarely puts paid to lofty aspirations. Here's to a kid grew up idolizing Contador, who's been saying he wants to attack, who came into this week saying it's all about red for him. He's been a dutiful team player. He's saved his legs and followed moves. Surely he must know that this is his last chance in this race to grit his teeth, to put on a show for his country, to make his idol proud.

Sleep well, chaval. Tommorow you can win the Vuelta Ciclista a España. Hope you find it in you to give it a proper go.

• Love
Reactions: gregrowlerson
So as before, if anything were to happen, it would really be something. But here's to hoping that this race has a final treat in store.

Here's to a rider who rarely puts paid to lofty aspirations. Here's to a kid grew up idolizing Contador, who's been saying he wants to attack, who came into this week saying it's all about red for him. He's been a dutiful team player. He's saved his legs and followed moves. Surely he must know that this is his last chance in this race to grit his teeth, to put on a show for his country, to make his idol proud.

Sleep well, chaval. Tommorow you can win the Vuelta Ciclista a España. Hope you find it in you to give it a proper go.
I think he’d try if the team wasn’t decimated.

I have a(n important) question: Why is it that so many Vuelta locations have such annoying names, including a dot. I mean, Mos. Castro de Herville... What is the meaning of that? This year has been tolerable as this is the only finish with such a ridiculous name but historically, they have had a ton of those. What's the deal? The name of a place can't surely have a dot in it!

Okay, the last couple of years haven't been too bad in that regard, but my eyes bleed when I look at the start and finishing cities of the 2018 editions.
Stage 10: Salamanca. VIII Centenario Universidad de Salamanc - Fermoselle. Bermillo de Sayago :eek:o_O

It's usually for sponsoring reasons.

If the regional government is paying for the finish, they'd rather see the finish labeled as "Calpe. Costa Blanca" than just "Calpe".

It might be slightly annoying but if it helps fund the race, I'll all for it.

I mean, sure, but Bernal or de la Cruz or someone could go with. And Erviti, Oliveira and the indomitable JJ Rojillas are still there and still putting out some big watts. And no one is going to want to tow Lopez.
But if Bernal and Mas let’s say gain 2 minutes and finish together, Bernal should be too far back to overtake Mas plus he has been attacking a lot. Bahrain has to be dropped for anything good, otherwise they’ll kill everything again. I wish Mas and Lopez had Bahrain as their team right now. Things would have been crazy.

But if Bernal and Mas let’s say gain 2 minutes and finish together, Bernal should be too far back to overtake Mas plus he has been attacking a lot. Bahrain has to be dropped for anything good, otherwise they’ll kill everything again. I wish Mas and Lopez had Bahrain as their team right now. Things would have been crazy.
Bahrain has done a lot of work. Bernal would keep going for the stage win and the cheers of the crowd.

It's the Vuelta, not the Tour. The team already won. And he's already been second. And if he blows up trying the pressure would be on Lopez and not him to keep the podium for the team. And his team, his country, cycling fans everywhere and probably even his sponsors would not think any less of him for it.

Hopefully they will race very aggresively from far out. We went to recon that last climb on our sunday group ride last week and it didn't feel anything special. Unless they come into the climb fairly tired, I expect a small group with usual suspects at the top.

Reactions: Sciatic
If Bernal really feels the legs like he said in the interview, I'm pessimistic. Don't think Movistar will try anything as they'll should beconfident to keep 2 and 3 in the ITT. Bahrain also won't try anything because of the risk that Haig gets burned by Bernal so they'll play it safe. Jumbo and Roglic won't do anything because they're not stupid.
So that leaves only Bernal (and Yates whom I dont trust at all) to do something and if he feels even half good he should because he doesn't have anything to lose. Annoying that half the teams are decimated because Bahrain should have it easy to control everything.
Shame because I actually like a mini LBL like that at the end of a GT when everyone is tired and we could have carnage.

If Bernal really feels the legs like he said in the interview, I'm pessimistic. Don't think Movistar will try anything as they'll should beconfident to keep 2 and 3 in the ITT. Bahrain also won't try anything because of the risk that Haig gets burned by Bernal so they'll play it safe. Jumbo and Roglic won't do anything because they're not stupid.
So that leaves only Bernal (and Yates whom I dont trust at all) to do something and if he feels even half good he should because he doesn't have anything to lose. Annoying that half the teams are decimated because Bahrain should have it easy to control everything.
Shame because I actually like a mini LBL like that at the end of a GT when everyone is tired and we could have carnage.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Roglic wants to win this and final stage to have a win in a leaders jersey in both scenarios.

Did Contador need a team to try?

Having said that, not sure if I can recall Alberto ever actually risking a podium place in a GT with an all out attack (despite all of the "second place is no good" mythology).
But his team did help.
That’s cause he was never on the podium and when he could, he lost time on the last stage. Honestly he could have had a lot more podiums without al the attacking but then we loss who he is.

Reactions: Carols

TRENDING THREADS