• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I find it kind of crazy that Movistar aren't going to send some ATVs who can win a sprint or get into the right moves, like the likes of Aranburu there to go stagehunting. I have been thinking, they've not been taking the points mess that they've got themselves in seriously for a while now, there hasn't seemed to be a great deal of urgency about them trying to get points compared to Israel and Lotto, so unless they've decided to keep a bunch of those guys for small stage races instead and try to horde small points, I don't really know...

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
tjv with the olympic gold and bronze TT medallists, eh?
Jumbo's problem is that a GT TTT starts with 8 riders, not 2 or 3. Also the TTT is pan flat which isn't exactly Roglic' speciality and TT ability doesn't perfectly translate over to TTT ability. Assuming they're healthy and in shape, Dennis, Roglic and Affini is much better than BEX's best 3, but the next 5 BEX is much better.

Depending how you rate BEX's TT'ers (and how you think their respective abilities translate over to a TTT), BEX's 5 worst are probably: Hepburn, Scotson, O'Brien, Groves, Hamilton. Account for all the BEX riders likely getting Vorteq suits/overshoes and some position work, you've got a squad full of big powerful roleurs, team pursuit world champs, good TT'ers and Lucas Hamilton.

I find it kind of crazy that Movistar aren't going to send some ATVs who can win a sprint or get into the right moves, like the likes of Aranburu there to go stagehunting. I have been thinking, they've not been taking the points mess that they've got themselves in seriously for a while now, there hasn't seemed to be a great deal of urgency about them trying to get points compared to Israel and Lotto, so unless they've decided to keep a bunch of those guys for small stage races instead and try to horde small points, I don't really know...

Hoping Mas and Valverde end up in the top 10 of GC and somehow Valverde finds a bunch of stage points somewhere? Yeah, they don't really seem to be hunting for points after the mess they got themselves into.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not getting the Evenepoel hype, he has it all to prove over a 3 week race and its not like QS have a stellar record in grand tours when riding for GC. Would love to see him stay up there on GC for 3 weeks but for me Roglic is the favourite now that he has declared. Providing of course that he has recovered sufficiently but I don't think he lines up if he doesn't think he has the chance of winning La Vuelta. Also Jumbo owe him something after he was used as a sacrificial lamb to effectively help win Vingegaard the tour. I think whoever emerges as the Ineos GC leader (most likely Carapaz) will be the greatest threat since they look to have a lot of strength in numbers again. I expect that Almeida and Hindley should also be strong on GC.

Clearly Roglic is the favourite, by a significant margin, bookies see it that way too. It doesn't change much for Remco though imo; 2nd place behind Roglic would obviously be a success too, and him starting the race at least takes a little pressure off Remco.

In the 1998/1999 German soccer Bundesliga there was an epic relegation battle. Majorly between Hansa Rostock and Eintracht Frankfurt. 1.FC Nürnberg never was part of that relegation battle, despite theoretically still being able to relegate. Well, they weren't part until in fact they relegated.

Movistar needs to be very cautious to not experience the same faith. They felt save all season long. But the duck shits rear as we say in German.

Aranburu should have a good chance of winning Tour du Limousin. That would probably give him more points than what he could get in the Vuelta.

Lotto Soudal bets on the alternative calendar and takes a modest team to La Vuelta. The big players will make an alternative calendar, looking for UCI points.

TRENDING THREADS