• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 16: Sanlúcar de Barrameda - Tomares, 189.4k

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The hatred for guys like Remco and Mas and the (although I like him) over the top fandom for Roglic has given this Vuelta a proper toxic atmosphere here and on other online spheres.
I do enjoy some trolling and GTs will always have heated discussions but this is reaching some proper bizarre levels.
Why would Remco fake a puncture on a ridiculously easy finish? If a gap is created by puncheurs/sprinters with GC guys like Roglic he won't be given the first time anway but always the time of the peleton (as it happened here, Roglic gained 8s on him, correct decision btw.), so what exactly would he gain? Not risking getting dropped by the whole peleton? If that is his worry he might as well just pack his bags.
If anything, Roglic can be happy that we had the 3km rule here otherwise he'd lose time on everyone after crashing.

Edit: When the same happened to Hindley in the Giro no one gave a ***.

43.3 km/h average speed for the last 3 (seemingly the same) km in 2017.

I do get that it's a bit subjective in what group to put riders (who had crashes or punctures) if the field splits up as it can also be a matter of positioning in addition to strength, but the current system is the most fair away I can think of.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, after the last 4 pages in this topic, i'm ready to be reinstated as the voice of reason on the forum.
Sorry mate but I am already at the top
Loool what is this, I'm far from an Evenepoel fan but seriously why on earth would he fake a mechanical? As if he wouldn't be able to follow a 40 man group a little hill. This is ridiculous.
Remco is the baddie and Roglic is the superhero in the main storyline of this vuelta. Just as Remco pulling on Sierra Nevada was a bad tactic, and Roglic not attacking Remco was a genius tactics because he has bad legs.

People need someone to boo and someone to cheer.

The hatred for guys like Remco and Mas and the (although I like him) over the top fandom for Roglic has given this Vuelta a proper toxic atmosphere here and on other online spheres.
I do enjoy some trolling and GTs will always have heated discussions but this is reaching some proper bizarre levels.
Why would Remco fake a puncture on a ridiculously easy finish? If a gap is created by puncheurs/sprinters with GC guys like Roglic he won't be given the first time anway but always the time of the peleton (as it happened here, Roglic gained 8s on him, correct decision btw.), so what exactly would he gain? Not risking getting dropped by the whole peleton? If that is his worry he might as well just pack his bags.
If anything, Roglic can be happy that we had the 3km rule here otherwise he'd lose time on everyone after crashing.

Edit: When the same happened to Hindley in the Giro no one gave a ***.
There are other places where Roglic is disliked to an irrational degree... it's just sports fans being who they are, as sad as it is.

If Evnepoel hadn't got the same time as the first big group, then Roglic shouldn't have got the same time as the Top 5 either.
The 3K rule states that you get the SAME time of the group you were in, in case of a crash or mechanical.
So Roglic should ofcourse get the same time as the top 5. Roglic could have gotten treatment for 15-20 minutes just before the finish, he would still get those 8 seconds.

This. Evenepoel already reacted to people suggesting he faked his flat. He said he would never do so and, having good legs, was even planning to ride the last couple of K's hard and try to get a top 10 or better on the stage.
If anything, his flat resulted in less chasing behind the top 5, as a good Remco would for sure have pulled the chasing group until the end.

Yeah, I mean, Roglic is very likely out. Let's forget about the 3km rule and give the win to Mas...

On a serious note
Sorry mate but I am already at the top

Remco is the baddie and Roglic is the superhero in the main storyline of this vuelta. Just as Remco pulling on Sierra Nevada was a bad tactic, and Roglic not attacking Remco was a genius tactics because he has bad legs.

People need someone to boo and someone to cheer.

Wait, do you support Belgian Spilak now?