• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 16: Sanlúcar de Barrameda - Tomares, 189.4k

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Normally you would think Remco would be following Roglic from close distance with a finish like this one. So why was he that far in the peloton?

Maybe he did follow Roglic... And maybe he punctured before the 3km line, making it difficult to stay close to Roglic. Maybe that was the reason why he was that far i nthe peloton. His teammanager might have said to wait with signaling the puncture till after the 3km line.

It would be interesting to see if he was with Roglic at 4.0 and at 3.5km from the finish.

Reactions: dicanio_michael
Sure and Remco in the malliot roga, with all the reflectors on him, would be so daff as to pull a stunt like that and for what? To totally ruin his reputation as a sportsman? To say nothing of how devious a shadow on his team ond its sponors. Oh, please.
Did you not see me explicitly call it a conspiracy theory? I'm just saying why some people get suspicious when this happens to a team which doesn't have a stellar fair play reputation.

Sure and Remco in the malliot roga, with all the reflectors on him, would be so daff as to pull a stunt like that and for what? To totally ruin his reputation as a sportsman? To say nothing of how devious a shadow on his team ond its sponors. Oh, please.

honestly, it would definitely go through my mind if I was a GC rider. i don't think there's really any way to prove he didn't have a puncture either, there's almost no way to get caught.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow, I need a cigarette after that finish.

Amazing by Roglic and hopefully he can stay in the race and be strong. It’s possible Remco had a very minor flat but it’s hard to believe he would completely fake it altogether. Probably not a stage that should’ve had the 3km rule and maybe that needs to be revisited, but I don’t put any blame on Remco for this.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
This is where the problem of QS' unsporting actions in the past comes back to bite them, though. It seems pretty unlikely that a team or rider would do something like that, but then we have seen them break rules to gain advantage in recent memory with Lampaert and Wellens, and we have seen (non-QS) riders pretending to have been involved in crashes in the last 3k to get the same time before. We remember Sky taking the time penalties of illegal feeds deliberately to avoid the hunger knock when their leader was distanced on a final climb. And hell, to jump to a different sport, I thought it pretty unlikely that any motor racing team would deliberately tell a driver to crash into a wall at F1 speed, but it happened.

It's all conspiracy theory villainy, but because of the timing of it and because QS have that negative reputation for their behaviour in defence of a lead, people are more willing to believe conspiracy theories about their villainy than if it was a team with an unblemished reputation - even if in some cases only because they want to believe that their guy would have won if he hadn't been screwed over.
Had it been Alaphilippe as much as I love him I would be much less secure about an accident. For the same reason you mention.