• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 16: Liencres Playa - Bejes, 120.1k

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglic saw how everyone responded to Vingegaards attack and felt so sorry for how clueless everyone was that he decided to help a bit. Seriously, some of the most braindead cycling I've ever seen. UAE literally having four riders there and deciding the best thing to do with them was to let the only one who doesn't play the most remote role in the gc attack, is just unbelievably stupid.
But ensuring continued entaining Benny Hill activities in this Vuelta edition, whether they're inside our outside the peleton.

The Angliru will be more of a mano a mano battle and I expect that riders will be spread out all over the climb with some big time gaps. The Jumbo doms will not take the 3 leaders very far up tomorrows climb so what happens when their last dom pulls off may decide the stage again. I expect that Vingegaard will leave his attack much later into the climb tomorrow but will ultimately ride himself into red. Perhaps Roglic has neither the strength nor the confidence of sustaining an attack from so far out and that is why they are using Vingegaard in the manner that they are when the final dom pulls off the front. Kuss showed some weakness today for the first time which doesn't augur well for the Angliru which is a brute.

Not bad by the Skeletor! My predictions of him fading in the 3rd seem to be failing. How does mighty Sepp feel about it? He always seems happy (he's a masochist addicted to physical suffering after all). Angliru tomorrow - if Jonas is as strong as today he can even make a race-winning move. Rogla's situation got even worse - maybe he's saving himself a bit and will go thermonuclear tomorrow?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
What homophobic references? The usage of "butthurt"? Stating that Vingegaard and Van Hooydonck are close?
That Chewbacca user.. is fuming, and gets triggered at every corner, just like I witnessed a few days ago, on the other stage where things didn't unfold as he wanted
Some people haven't learned the aspect of disagreeing and will in lack of better jump to personal attacks / stigmatizing name-calling with all the worst things their mind can comprehend, or simply try to attack the grammar, and punctuation for a non-native English-speaking-user.in lack of valid arguments.

Hopefully, such people will grow out of it, otherwise, they tend to end up very lonely.

Reactions: Sandisfan and nego
Ok, As much as I don't like Jonas attacking his teammate I don't hold it against him to try and win this race.
He didn't come here to do anything but give his maximum and win. He's the boss of the team and everybody knows that.

I think they should have rode steady and everyone finish within 10 seconds which probably would have happened if they left it
to the weaker teams to attack. My opinion is just that you shouldn't attack your own team when they are the favorite to win the race.

Sepp hasn't shown any weakness (until today) so I think they should have rode for him, it still would be a Jumbo 1-2-3

But obviously Jonas wants to win this race and as team boss, he is entitled to do it. But don't be surprised if next July Sepp is
'quiet quitting' during the tour to use a new term i learned this year.

Sepp's performance today has shades of Simon Yates the day before his collapse at the Giro.........

I really can't see Sepp winning this race, Jonas is for sure gonna take time tomorrow and again on Thrusday - that is a pretty brutal stage too.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Why ride for Roglic on Angliru when you have Jonas? Makes no sense. Roglic may well attack first, but Mas and Ayuso will mark him 100%.

Well the team is now in a position, where Vingegaard will win the race in case Kuss cracks/loses a bit of time here and there, and I therefore think they should try to keep Roglič happy as well. That means trying to avoid a potential Evenepoel breakaway getting too much if any time tomorrow, so PR has an opportunity to win the stage. He'll obviously need the legs, but Vingegaard and/or Kuss shouldn't drop him, unless they have to follow moves.

That Chewbacca user.. is fuming, and gets triggered at every corner, just like I witnessed a few days ago, on the other stage where things didn't unfold as he wanted
Some people haven't learned the aspect of disagreeing and will in lack of better jump to personal attacks / stigmatizing name-calling with all the worst things their mind can comprehend, or simply try to attack the grammar, and punctuation for a non-native English-speaking-user.in lack of valid arguments.

Hopefully, such people will grow out of it, otherwise, they tend to end up very lonely.
...again, I have no idea of what any of that means.

Well the team is now in a position, where Vingegaard will win the race in case Kuss cracks/loses a bit of time here and there, and I therefore think they should try to keep Roglič happy as well. That means trying to avoid a potential Evenepoel breakaway getting too much if any time tomorrow, so PR has an opportunity to win the stage. He'll obviously need the legs, but Vingegaard and/or Kuss shouldn't drop him, unless they have to follow moves.
That'd make for an incredibly dull Angliru or an exceptional strong Primoz.

The best tactic for me should just be to drill the *** out of Angliru and let Jonas go and Kuss and Roglic to sit behind, mark and go if they can. Which I think is a big if against Ayuso and especially Mas on Angliru who I expect to be the second strongest.