• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 18: Pola de Allande - La Cruz de Linares, 178.9k

The final major mountain stage of the race. Can anybody keep up with the Kardashians Jumbots - literally or figuratively?
946a9

The start is in Pola de Allande, the westernmost point of this Vuelta. The first 30 kilometres are flattish, then we reach the long, irregular, but easier western side of Alto de las Estacas. This should be where the breakaway gets up the road.
CarricedoW.gif

Next up is the hardest climb of the day, the classic Puerto de San Lorenzo.
Puerto%20de%20San%20Lorenzo%20W%203d.gif

The remainder of the day consists of a lot of looping back on ourselves. First, there’s a loop over the short, but steep Alto de Tenebredo, and the uncategorised Alto de Santa Marina de Piedramuelle…
Alto%20del%20Tenebreo%20sur.gif

santa-marina-de-piedramuelle-les-caldes.png

…before the decisive double ascent of Puerto de La Cruz de Linares.

Fk5uQARWQAMfh9M

Kuss still the leader after Angliru (which TBH I didn't expect). So what's next? The last MTF of the race tomorrow, the climb is difficult and steep (but gets easier in the second part) and the stage is difficult as well. Maybe the last chance for Vingo to pass Sepp. 8 seconds. A lot can happen...or not.

I suppose it's Kuss' turn to win the stage tomorrow.
Unless, of course, the fact that he was dropped today is an indicator that Roglic and Vingegaard are just stronger.
Or Jumbo decides to not be silly, and let the break have the stage.

They were stronger than Kuss but not by that much. I think Kuss can really do it (keep the lead) if they don't go absolutely nuts tomorrow. The critical stage was today.

Man if they take the jersey from Kuss on the final mountain stage...would be absolutely heartbraking. This really reminds me on Dumoulin still being in red going into stage 20 in 2015 but at least there it wasn't his own teammates who tried to take it away. After all the work Kuss has done for them I just hope they gift him what would be far and beyond the biggest triumph of his career.

Evenepoel to win the stage ahead of Soler and Poole. Bahrain will pace and drop Ayuso and Mas, so that Landa can take 4th. All three Jumbo captains will be passive spectators following Bahrain, no gaps between them.
Kuss: "I don't want to be gifted the Vuelta"

Roglic: "Shut the *** up Sepp"

Vingegaard: "You're the domestique Sepp, you don't get to decide"

Man if they take the jersey from Kuss on the final mountain stage...would be absolutely heartbraking. This really reminds me on Dumoulin still being in red going into stage 20 in 2015 but at least there it wasn't his own teammates who tried to take it away. After all the work Kuss has done for them I just hope they gift him what would be far and beyond the biggest triumph of his career.
Stage 20 is still pretty tough. Jumbo have more than enough control here, but I don't think they play "shepherd Sepp" until that stage, just because we have examples like Dumoulin and Yates in recent memory where the leader has capitulated. At least as far as Jumbo are concerned they are still the best placed ones to benefit, but "heartbreaking"? You'd really feel sorry for them if one of the three guys who've made a mockery of the race lost eight seconds?

Reactions: Devil's Elbow