• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8k

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's why you're having your nickname.
They decided not to race.

Racing is like life. Sometimes the key protagonists strike. In this case, because they feel it's not a fair race when they are forced into a situation they are not comfortable with, with regards to their safety / crashing out...

Learn to live with it, riders deciding not to race, is part of racing.

I'm really curious if those who complain are also complaining about other safety issues, the peloton not taking a stance or not agreeing to come up for their rights against organisers / UCI...
The message, after yesterday's farce, from the GC riders was one of 'don't mess with us'. They got a neutralised GC and they took it.
To the surprise of many on this forum, who said yesterday that riders could have known before the start of the TTT that it would have been dark, the GC riders took the opportunity of the neutralised GC to soft-pedal. I mean: those forum members should, like the riders yesterday, have known at the start of today's race what was coming, but now they are surprised? Commenting about riders and teams not anticipating on yesterday's TTT, but clearly themselves not anticipating on how the race would end.
Do you have to be so nasty? Are you looking to feel protagonist? Do you need to be listened to? :mad:

Do you have to be so nasty? Are you looking to feel protagonist? Do you need to be listened to? :mad:
My opinion is shared by all GC candidates, so I'm on the side of those that are delivering us the spectacle, the panem et circenses, and this for the next 3 weeks (at least if they don't have a stupid crash on a badly designed parcours, especially with the rain).

I know some of those in the race personally, so yes, I defend them over here against those that are on the demanding side of things (the fans) but don't seem to care for the riders.

Organizers apparently asking fans to show videos so they can understand the gaps and decide who the red jersey is...

View: https://twitter.com/raulbanqueri/status/1695826032136261855?t=wmHIf9PPmYI6dyK0PnyiIA&s=19
Unipublic are not fit for purpose.

Seriously, how can any new/casual fan take a look at all that has happened this weekend and ever take this sport seriously again? Thank God this didn't happen at the Tour because it would have been a global laughing stock there.

Probably the gc riders were still mad from yesterday’s debacle that they wanted to make a point today. What else did they want? No boni seconds also? A bit of an overreaction, but given yesterday and the horrendous weather in the beginning I can see their case.