• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta al País Vasco 4–9 April 2016

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The strongest doesn't always win, although it's rare for the strongest not to win a GT. Sure, only winning matters but there is considerable interest in who the strongest is, in part because it's more predictive of who will win the next similar stage/race.

That might be the case ..speculation is fine .but why can posters not try a liitle mindfulness and live in the current moment i don't know

However I don't that is the case ...It think its one upmanship of fans trying to 'prove' their guy is the best

And I think why not wait and see ...if your guy is the strongest he will win...you donlt need ot keep sayign it and putting the other guy down

And I think the strongest does win ....because that is the purpose ...so if you legs are not the best then your head must be or your tactics or....
There are many ways to be strong

I liked the stage, it was a good one.

Contador ir strong and he is maybe the maximun favourite. It is good when a rider behave as a champion and try to do something almost everyday and using strategy. It is what cycling must be.

it was a good race for Purito, but he is not a good shape. Today he was close to the best becouse the climb suits him very well. Tomorrow he will be better in shape, but the climb suits him worse, so he is expected to lose time.

Henao was the stronger today, but he didnt take time, so that is not good for his interest. He has lot of numbers to win this race, but Contador is at a similar level and his experience in thi race make me put him a little bit above still.

Quintana. He has past the worse days for him and he just lost a few seconds. He looked strong today despite the rain. Tomorrow he could desmostrate he is the best climber of the world, but the climb is not very long for him., and there is a flat and a descent before the finish.

Pinot, looking strong, I wouldnt be very surprised if he win tomorrow and GC as well, but today he lost some energies in his particular ego fight with Aru that he could need next days.

Landa. He was dead for GC today, but finally the GC riders looked echar others and he is very alive, third in GC. But he should attack first thinking in Henao, he should put his possibility of podium behind his leader here, despite he is basque. He won in Aia last year but it is not a climb that suits him very well. All the day in the front of the group has its advantages, but finally you can pay that. He is not at his best, but even at his best, Aia is too explosive for him. Tomorrow is better, he has his options, but the main leader should be Henao, better as well for ITT. As it is usual in Landa, when people expect him or there is pressure, he used to fail, and when nobody expect him, he do amazing things. For that reason SKY has his risk by getting this rider to leader of the Giro. But if he is mentally and phisically well, he is a magical rider able to do what maybe nobody can.

Samu. he is there, so that is becouse he is strong. He told today it is not easy to recover for him. But he has won in Arrate and he has won ITT at this race. It is no possible to put him appart now.

Kelderman. The same than Samu. Tomorroow they need to put a hight pace becouse he is at good shape and he is a good trialist.

it was nice to see Verona figteen for the stage, Wellens looked very strong, but he had his chances.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
Dont know why people are so obsessed with who the strongest is. Dont matter who were strongest, the only thing that matters is who won.

Exactly ...the strongest was the winner and he imo should be in leaders jersey as there was definitely a gap
There was an 8 second gap? :confused:

I counted three seconds between Samu and Barguil.

HelloDolly said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
Dont know why people are so obsessed with who the strongest is. Dont matter who were strongest, the only thing that matters is who won.

Exactly ...the strongest was the winner and he imo should be in leaders jersey as there was definitely a gap

It doesn't matter if there was a gap. With no bonus seconds, Kelderman would still be the leader.

Honestly, I see Contador as the big favourite. I know the time trial is really hard but even if Henao gains a bit of time on the climb (which is not certain) then I think he will lose too much in the rest of the time trial to win the race. And let's be honets, it's Henao, he normally finds a way not to win.

Cannibal72 said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

There was only one 2nd between Samu and Barguil...

...Rui Costa.

JRanton said:
It doesn't matter if there was a gap. With no bonus seconds, Kelderman would still be the leader.

Honestly, I see Contador as the big favourite. I know the time trial is really hard but even if Henao gains a bit of time on the climb (which is not certain) then I think he will lose too much in the rest of the time trial to win the race. And let's be honets, it's Henao, he normally finds a way not to win.
I agree with what you said regarding Contador vs Henao in the TT, Contador might be able to pace himself better on the climb, and even if Henao is slightly stronger, there are still 5 flat km and Contador did a recon of the descent which might help.
Buuuut... Tibopinooooo :p

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Hellodolly. I have to disagree. You misused the word 'exactly' even if the poster ends up agreeing with you. Furthermore, every other point you have made is factually wrong. A) winning isn't everything, it's very important but it's not everything. For example, ever heard of a rider using a specific race to prepare for a later one? B) strongest riders don't always win. Often they do but not always. No one who regularly watches cycling can miss this.

Posts about who is stronger might annoy you but they are relevant both in the short term discussion of a race and the GC and as a way to discuss riders who are preparing to peak at a later date.

But ok, I can agree that sometimes these discussions take away some of the attention frome the actual winner of a race. Today it was Sanchez, who did a great job to get away at the end.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Geraint Too Fast said:
Cannibal72 said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

...Rui Costa.

I'm just pretending he doesn't exist.

Re:

Metabolol said:
Hellodolly. I have to disagree. You misused the word 'exactly' even if the poster ends up agreeing with you. Furthermore, every other point you have made is factually wrong. A) winning isn't everything, it's very important but it's not everything. For example, ever heard of a rider using a specific race to prepare for a later one? B) strongest riders don't always win. Often they do but not always. No one who regularly watches cycling can miss this.

Posts about who is stronger might annoy you but they are relevant both in the short term discussion of a race and the GC and as a way to discuss riders who are preparing to peak at a later date.

But ok, I can agree that sometimes these discussions take away some of the attention frome the actual winner of a race. Today it was Sanchez, who did a great job to get away at the end.

Wow that is very far sweeping...every point i made is factually wrong ..based on what evidence ?..I'd say there is a fair share of arrogance in that post

I have heard of riders using races to prepare but I was under the impression we are watching and enjoying and talking about this race...ie who is strong in this race ...

Nothing wrong as I said with speculation but tit for tat back and forward ..mine is stronger than yours proves nothing

Geraint Too Fast said:
Cannibal72 said:
LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

...Rui Costa.

http://i.imgur.com/BbgL7x3.gif?noredirect

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
HelloDolly said:
Metabolol said:
HelloDolly said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

No, that is not what he said. Sanchez wins, that is what matters in this race right now. But he wasn't the strongest.

Besides the fact he can talk for himself

The stongest is the winner everything else is just talk...only wining matters and not endless posts of a was stronger than B or visa versa ...proves nothing

The strongest doesn't always win, although it's rare for the strongest not to win a GT. Sure, only winning matters but there is considerable interest in who the strongest is, in part because it's more predictive of who will win the next similar stage/race.

Of course being strong can be an indicator of who is going well at the moment and who has an opportunity to win the next race. my point is that being strong is only one aspect of being a good rider. Tactics and knowing when to use your "strongness" is also importent. Samu did that to day and therefore he won. If it was just about being strong they could just ride spinning bikes in a fitness center.

Last year for example people were arguing that landa was stronger than Contador in the giro. Didnt really matter though. Or last sunday people were saying cancellara was stronger Sagan. Sagan still won because he put in an attack at the right moment.

I fully acknowledge that being strong is important but just saying it isnt the only thing that leeds to victory. In the end the only thing that matters is who wins :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
burning said:
HelloDolly said:
I remamber Giro 2013 SAMU was only beaten by Wiggins on a MT time trial

Why I like riders like SAMU to win is so many are so quick to write them off ...especially on here where people are always saying retire retire

That was Nibali

Ok yes ...he was second behind Nibs ...

Wiggins was a champion of descents in that Giro :D

Mr.White said:
HelloDolly said:
burning said:
HelloDolly said:
I remamber Giro 2013 SAMU was only beaten by Wiggins on a MT time trial

Why I like riders like SAMU to win is so many are so quick to write them off ...especially on here where people are always saying retire retire

That was Nibali

Ok yes ...he was second behind Nibs ...

Wiggins was a champion of descents in that Giro :D

ROTFLMAO....Granny descents :)

I probably was abit heavy handed there on the speculation ...I don't wantt to stop anyone's fun and speculation is fun

The thing about Heano & Contador is they are are strong in different ways ,,,,Heano on steep slopes has the edge imo
Contaodr on longer climbs and in TT

So if I were to call it then it will be Contador ftw on GC

Gigs_98 said:
SafeBet said:
yaco said:
Strangest thing is Cummings does what many state is bad. That is doing no work . Yet he is lauded. Reckon there are a few hypocrites in this forum.
Exactly. If Cummings wins with a one km attack after sitting in the bunch for 192km is smart racing. If Gerrans wins with a 200mt sprint after sitting in the bunch for 192,8km is wheelsucking.

What a difference 800mt make.
The reason why people call gerrans a wheelsucker are not the stages in which he wins in a bunch sprint though.

You can rationalise it any way you like. But my point stands.

PremierAndrew said:
SafeBet said:
yaco said:
Strangest thing is Cummings does what many state is bad. That is doing no work . Yet he is lauded. Reckon there are a few hypocrites in this forum.
Exactly. If Cummings wins with a one km attack after sitting in the bunch for 192km is smart racing. If Gerrans wins with a 200mt sprint after sitting in the bunch for 192,8km is wheelsucking.

What a difference 800mt make.

I don't dislike Gerrans for winning bunch sprints. I dislike him for not attacking in one day races and constantly wheelsucking. And anyway, a 1km attack with a chasing peloton is much more entertaining to watch than a bunch sprint more often than not

See your post is symtomatic of what is wrong with this forum. We need to appreciate all riders instead of going into fanboi hysteria.

TRENDING THREADS