• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wet feet on commute...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It seems my water resistent booties are pretty good on the top and sides...after a rain ride they don't seem wet on the inside of the material around the top of my shoes, etc.

Yet my feet are still soaked after riding in a good rain. I think it's road spray or something like it that is possibly coming up from the bottom of the booties through the cleat opening...

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts on this? Any experience with the same scenario?

I'm not entirely convinced replacing the booties from something more "water-proof" solves the problem so wanted check around first.

Thanks

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I assume you also cover any holes on the bottom of the shoe (in the sole if your shoe's have them)? Also, is there a flap on the outside of the zipper of the shoe cover? Without it you'll get water in through there as well.

There's always the default of covering your show with a plastic bag first if its really raining. My feet sweat too much so with the plastic bag I just get a super damp foot from the sweat.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Heya - two possibilities i can think of - water flowing down your legs into the booties (which fenders would fix) or water coming up and into the bottom of your shoe, in which case you can take out the insole, and layer some duct tape over any holes. Won't be entirely waterproof, but will make a good difference.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks fellas. :D

Some great ideas here and I'll set up an old set of shoes as "commuters" with the silicone.

The fenders are a forehead slapper aren't they? :rolleyes: I picked up some SKS raceblades this past winter (no proper mounts on my Roubaix), but have not had a "real" chance to try them yet...just light spray so far this spring.

Appreciate it