• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What was left out of the SI article?

Race Radio said:
I think there was something about him being a bad tipper

The often discussed bacchanalia. It would have been good if written with enough moral outrage, "married father....." Or maybe, "hardest working cyclist?? Try hardest partying cyclist...." 'Twins' anecdotes won't get good impact.

As it is, it's a solid 10,000 ft. overview from a huge brand.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Ross over at the "Science of Sport" blog mentions that there was more to the SI article that didn't make it in due to legal pressure. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/01/drug-of-2011-hemassist-and-armstrong.html

Any ideas what the allegations were? The unprinted material are lies of course. Because we ALL know SI has been printing lies for at least a decade...

No mention of Carmichael or Wenzel by name in connection with the Strock/Kaiter affair. No mention of Actovegin/insulin at 2000 Tour and Gorski's statements.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
No mention of Carmichael or Wenzel by name in connection with the Strock/Kaiter affair. No mention of Actovegin/insulin at 2000 Tour and Gorski's statements.

Since I spent weeks bashing JV, I want to go on record as giving the old FU to Greg Strock. Greg may have filed a lawsuit, but in the end, he took hush-money. Call it whatever you like, but I call it hush-money.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
While Wonderboy was pretending he did not have a care in the world his lawyers were hammering SI non-Stop. They have an editor that is a fame *****. He used to edit US magazine and is a fanboy. He caved on many things, mostly to do with the foundation, Wonderboy's use of female entertainment, and his ocassional sinus issues.

It is interesting to note that Tim Herman's primary concern is the Foundation. That is their cash cow and if the truth gets out even the groupies will start asking questions. Cannot afford any interuption in cash flow right now.

They seem to have given up on the doping news. They figure they have lost that fight.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
To describe Armstrong as the sportsman of the last half century is perfect. Jim Thorpe was the sportsman of the previous half century and history is stained with stupid behavior about him. Everything from envy,bigotry to pure misinformation. The compound is obscure and should be easy to test for, if there is Hemmasist in any sample then an explanation is in order. Chain of custody and integrity of those with the sample should be examined to the highest degree but this is just what LA would need if he has nothing to hide. A drug w all kinds of chemical markers? Only on the market for a short time? Slam dunk for him if the blood is substance free.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
So they did take stuf out...means they have solid evidence on the rest...but of course denying is coming from all parts, like Popovych http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/popovych-denies-sports-illustrated-details

“It’s not true. I don’t want to go into details, otherwise the story will go around and around. I’ll let my lawyer speak for me,” Popovych told Cyclingnews from Tenerife, where he is training for the new season.

,,,from Tenerife!!!! CN's editors got it a sense of humor about this!!!

cat_laughing_out_loud.jpg

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I thought Jesse Owens was the sportsman of the 1st half of the 20th century? Oh well, I'm sure there's dirt on him as well. :rolleyes:
Jesse Owens used to raise money for the ASPCA in AZ with the lady(Kitty) from Gunsmoke. Hitler probably had dirt on him. Jesse came to my school as a child. I will post a photo if my old man can find it

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how Lance is able to keep the hunnies on the downlow... As soon as Tiger got whacked by a golf club, they were all lining-up at the Enquirer for a 5-figure payday. He must be good at something.

Sorry, don't wanna get banned. I was SO ready for the extra 5k words in the article.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
oh, he tipped, but that was a premature ejaculation, not fungible for funds

You meant 'ejaculation' in its original sense - as in an abrupt verbal expression - didn't you, blacky? :D

I couldn't care less about his nostrils or nocturnal habits. But if the Foundation is in any way fraudulent, then that would make any sporting fraud pale into insignificance, as well as removing the 'but he does so much good for cancer research' defence. If I were a news organisation, that's where I'd be looking.

hmm - well all I can say is ..... the information they have doesnt just disappear.

They will hold it and wait for the feds to do their thing. When he is busy fighting that off (and losing) they can always bring out the Livestrong stuff then.

It WILL come out.

Once the investigations start its build like a flood (an apt analogy right now :p) ...... once the flow starts, its hard to stop.

fatandfast said:
The compound is obscure and should be easy to test for, if there is Hemmasist in any sample then an explanation is in order. Chain of custody and integrity of those with the sample should be examined to the highest degree but this is just what LA would need if he has nothing to hide. A drug w all kinds of chemical markers? Only on the market for a short time? Slam dunk for him if the blood is substance free.

I don't believe it is easy to test for. It's basically just hemoglobin, but in the plasma rather than attached to red cells. It's cleared from the circulation very rapidly, so unless a blood sample is given very soon after administration, levels will be very low. Moreover, I doubt if anyone knows how stable free hemoglobin is in blood samples that have been stored for years; and conversely, endogenous hemoglobin may to some extent be released from red cells during long-term storage. So I think it would be very difficult to draw any firm conclusions from the results of a test.

Added later: Thanks to Tyler's Twin for furnishing this link on a test for HBOCs: http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/50/4/723

The authors claim they can detect several of the HBOCs tested several days after infusion. The test is based on a size difference between the HBOC and natural hemoblobin, so release of natural hemoglobin from red cells would not be a problem. However, I think there are still questions about the usefulness of this method applied to blood that has been stored for a long time. Under these conditions there is likely to be some degradation of both hemoglobin and HBOC, which would render a test based on size differences useless.

Forum Road Map????

Maybe then we can help hasten the end of the myth with some specific forum content?

-Johan Bruyneel/Armstrong dirt. There's got to be quite a bit.
-Armstrong's rumored recreational drug use. This one would be tricky. You run the risk of turning him into an anti-hero.
-Armstrong's penchant for strip clubs and general promiscuity. Another issue with anti-hero potential.
-Livestrong scam. There's a whole new level of scam with livestrong.org?com???. State reporting documents need to be examined to start laying down the basics.
-Tenerife. There's a doping story there. There's got to be. It makes no sense whole teams are flying there just for the weather.
-No one's closed the loop on Wenzel/Carmichael and their doped athletes Strock, Armstrong, Kaiter. There's enough there for another bomb to go off in the non-cycling public. I don't know if it has aged well though.
-Tailwind principals and their list of crimes...................................

DirtyWorks said:
-Tenerife. There's a doping story there. There's got to be. It makes no sense whole teams are flying there just for the weather.

Fuentes works in Altavista Medical Center in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. Ferrari trained with Vino last year in Tenerife & I think Ferrari works on Tenerife anyway - not sure though.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't know if you realize it, but a lot of people in my country would find that comment bigoted, which is why I edited it.

Back to the topic at hand. Excellent article by Joe Lindsay referenced in there.

Here's a link.

Not related at LA, but the Frigo part of the article made me laugh out loud, just marvellous:

Later, authorities discovered that Frigo had actually been duped: The IV bags contained nothing more than saline solution. Frigo’s clear intent was to dope but, because he never actually purchased the real drug, no one ever chased down the supply pipeline.

TRENDING THREADS