• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question What's the best way winning GC?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you prefer your favourite riders wins GC?

• Long range attacks (80 km)

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Suck wheels and Stomp

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • ITT excellence

• Doesn't matter how your favourite racer wins.

• Doesn't matter how my favourite racer wins.

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In recent memory I really liked 2020 and 2022 editions.

2020 edition with Pogi crushing the final ITT was just phenomenal.

Eventhough I am not a big fan of Visma and Jonas I must say that stage 11 in 2022 Tour was absolute masterclass. Pogi's overconfidence and Visma's smart strategy with Jonas's power and reserves at the end of the stage were "must see TV".

Reactions: AmRacer
This i guess is on where some confusion comes from. For example in real world one goes out to make a living, after a honest day of work he then gets praised by community, or taken for granted, either way. In pro peloton one being a great stage racer, that comes down to going out to make a living, losing no time and doing absolutely nothing for it. This is on how it's done on the best day. Some people hence find it hard to grasp the concept.

As for that "crushing the opponent". This one is more age related, younger baboon usually very vivid in its approach, older baboon usually settling it with giving it a look.

Reactions: AmRacer
In recent memory I really liked 2020 and 2022 editions.

2020 edition with Pogi crushing the final ITT was just phenomenal.

Eventhough I am not a big fan of Visma and Jonas I must say that stage 11 in 2022 Tour was absolute masterclass. Pogi's overconfidence and Visma's smart strategy with Jonas's power and reserves at the end of the stage were "must see TV".
What do you think the biggest difference was between 2020 and 2023? Both were decided in the only ITT of the race when one of the riders did a phenomenal ride and the other one disappointed a bit.

What do you think the biggest difference was between 2020 and 2023? Both were decided in the only ITT of the race when one of the riders did a phenomenal ride and the other one disappointed a bit.
There are three big differences, actually:
1) Roglic and Visma had spent all race stifling GC action and therefore, it blowing up in their faces in that TT felt like karmic justice to many of us, whereas Pogacar had raced as aggressively as ever in 2023
2) Pogacar winning was a hugely unexpected underdog story in 2020, that doesn't apply at all to Vingegaard in 2023
3) Pogacar winning it in the TT was the most exciting thing that could still have happened going into the 2020 TT, again that doesn't apply at all to 2023

My guess would be that in 2023 Pogi's preparations were limited so base was just not there, he burned a lot more matches prior to ITT compared to 2020 and also faced opponent that was in phenomenal shape.

I also think that in 2020 Pogi was holding wheels most of the time. He did not have the team around but because he was not viewed as big threat he did not need one. TJV acted as his team most of the time.

The best race is a mix of all of them.

You want some real attacking climber types who can accelerate well but then needs to slow down in between. Then you also want the opposite of that in someone who doesn't have the kick to follow attacks but they ride a straong steady pace so eventually they get back second after second and then make up the difference in the ITTs. Then you want to fill out with everything in between pretty much.

At that point it doesn't matter who wins as long as there is competition and fighting going on.

Right now the main rivals are too strong so it takes some thrill out of it. When Pogacar attacks only Vingegaard and possibly Evenepoel can follow right now. It should ideally be that one or two of the rest who has the best legs at the time should also be able to follow but the gap down to the rest is a little too much right now.

1) Roglic and Visma had spent all race stifling GC action and therefore, it blowing up in their faces in that TT felt like karmic justice to many of us, whereas Pogacar had raced as aggressively as ever in 2023

We asked Karma and the answer was clear no, Karma had nothing to do with it, Karma actually likes Rogla. So it was more about as you say, some of you gloating. That is all there is to it. Rogla got up and already at it again!