• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's this I am hearing about Lance pouring blood down toilets?

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
:confused:

I thought Lance was clean and had nothing whatsoever to do with doping? So why are people talking about him pouring Floyd's blood down the toilet? Wait now that I think about it maybe Lance just discovered that Floyd was trying to dope and decided to stop Floyd from doing so. Is that the reason? I hope he notified the appropriate authorities as well.

obvious_troll.jpg

It's an old story - I am sure I read it in a book - one of those exposing doping in cycling books - maybe David Walsh? My memory is that it alledges that FL and LA had a fall out and this was the result.

Anyway I am sure that someone more knowlegeable about this kind of thing will provide the source. And just cos it's in a book doesn't make it true!

lookkg386 said:
Tried and true formula. Bring out a book, gotta have the headline to go with it..

You are correct that the man has a monetary incentive to sell books. Still, I was quite surprised after reading "From Lance to Landis" and listening to the above interview. He's actually the chief sportwriter for the Sunday Times of London, is a four-time Irish Sportswriter of the Year and a three-time UK Sportswriter of the Year. He's actually legit, despite Lance characterizing him as a tabloid journalist. And yes, I was on the Lance bandwagon and a huge fan untill about 2004 when the weight of evidence against LA became pretty overwhelming (to me anyway). Doesn't mean LA isn't/wasn't a great rider.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
lookkg386 said:
Tried and true formula. Bring out a book, gotta have the headline to go with it..

Tell me about it ! I knew this American cyclist who won the Tour after a couple years out and claimed it was high cadence & that he was clean in his book ! Talk about headlines.... Made a tidy profit from the book too.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
lookkg386 said:

This is just one of many headlines in Walsh's book "From Lance to Landis". In this particular instance, the information is based on a subpoenaed text message conversation for the Armstrong v SCA Promotions trial between Frankie Andreau and Jonathan Vaughters. The most interesting aspect of this discussion is the implication of systematic team doping in Team Discovery with the direct knowledge of both Armstrong and Bruyneel. There is plenty of more interesting and persuasive information in Walsh's book, and it is more than just a headline. Even if you believe half of it, the case is very strong against Armstrong.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
You are correct that the man has a monetary incentive to sell books. Still, I was quite surprised after reading "From Lance to Landis" and listening to the above interview. He's actually the chief sportwriter for the Sunday Times of London, is a four-time Irish Sportswriter of the Year and a three-time UK Sportswriter of the Year. He's actually legit, despite Lance characterizing him as a tabloid journalist. And yes, I was on the Lance bandwagon and a huge fan untill about 2004 when the weight of evidence against LA became pretty overwhelming (to me anyway). Doesn't mean LA isn't/wasn't a great rider.

LA's tried and trusted modus operandi is control.
When the Walsh/Ballester book was published, and prior to that. the suspicion, allegations and all that, weresurfacing, LA's mindset went into blaming everyone for picking on him. The French hate me, this toilet journalist is nothing but a sandbagger riding on my reputation, etc.

The world's cycling media simply licked and loved all that he stated, simply because it was something from LA.
Anything involving LA, generates media, magazine sales, product sales, thus, why do anything to rock the boat ?

Look at the UCI - questionable decisions, that simply endorse all things LA.
That, is in itself, a leftover from Verbruggen and his LA pandering.

Perhaps LA should run for UCI President - that way he could fix everything.

He might be minded to remember one famous US citizen who once said
"you can fool some of the people, some of the time"

PuncturedTyre said:
He might be minded to remember one famous US citizen who once said
"you can fool some of the people, some of the time"

He is probably following the variation laid down by a famous Texan who somehow managed to win the presidency--twice: "You CAN fool some of the people ALL the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." That pretty much describes Armstrong's approach. There is a certain segment of the fans and public who are incapable of critical thinking. They will lap up anything a public figure says whether it makes sense or not. They appear to form opinions based on faith rather than facts.

elapid said:
TThe most interesting aspect of this discussion is the implication of systematic team doping in Team Discovery with the direct knowledge of both Armstrong and Bruyneel.

That is no big surpise. The IM transcript from Vaughters-Andreu and Stephen Swart's account of team Motorola make it very clear that Armstrong actively encouraged teammates to dope.

Armstrong punishing Landis by pouring his blood down the toilet is also inline with the way he treated other teammates who left the team. L.A. Confidential details how Armstrong would cheat them out of their bonus money.

All joking aside (for now...)--and regardless of your personal take on Armstrong--you gotta think that if this kind of intelligence was actionable the authorities would have gone after the implicated already, if the cyclist were Armstrong or anyone else.

I'm no Armstrong fan, and I don't really think any of the top riders are clean, but I just can't help but feel that if there was solid evidence then Armstrong would be brought down, just like Basso and Ullrich.

...wouldn't he?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
All joking aside (for now...)--and regardless of your personal take on Armstrong--you gotta think that if this kind of intelligence was actionable the authorities would have gone after the implicated already, if the cyclist were Armstrong or anyone else.

I'm no Armstrong fan, and I don't really think any of the top riders are clean, but I just can't help but feel that if there was solid evidence then Armstrong would be brought down, just like Basso and Ullrich.

...wouldn't he?

The police and the general public for that matter, dont care if athletes dope or not.

Casual fans or the average rider STILL do not understand that blood doping/ oxygen carriers give up to a 30% sustainable power increase. So some still think Lance & his competitors have been clean, and their clean now. Which is a crock of course.

But mostly, they just dont care! He's awesome and thats all that matters (however he got there.)

If people understood a third of the physiology of it, and the fact that some pros try to ride totally clean; maybe they would have different takes on it. BUT, the average person is not that smart when it comes to making an attempt at understanding this whole deal.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:

...wouldn't he?

The UCI/ASO only went after Basso & Ullrich because the media broke OP. Before that the UCI tried to sue Marzanno when he told everyone of Fuentes ! Ullrich & Basso were just as protected. If it wasn't for Saiz getting busted they'd still be riding today.......

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
The UCI/ASO only went after Basso & Ullrich because the media broke OP. Before that the UCI tried to sue Marzanno when he told everyone of Fuentes ! Ullrich & Basso were just as protected. If it wasn't for Saiz getting busted they'd still be riding today.......

The fact that they wont do performance value testing and total blood volume testing shows that the governing body (UCI) has some serious issues going on down to its core.