• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's up with Arnie?

The thing is, it just doesn't matter. Not criticizing ChrisE, just expressing a bit of schadenfreude and this and a million other puff pieces.

The Daily Mail only prints stuff that doesn't matter. Since my grandfather passed away, my grandmother reads it every day. Small ads and everything. What my grandmother doesn't know about weedkiller and hair loss treatment isn't worth knowing. But what's great is, she's got something to talk about.

Click on the link above and you can read about a star eating too much and another star not eating enough. You can read about how Maria smiling to a TV camera proves she's soooo over Arnold. Or else she's putting a brave face on it? Whichever way the editor wants to spin it.

Look at the press trucks outside that woman's house. Imagine if you were her neighbour in that cul-de-sac. You'd be apoplectic with rage, wouldn't you? All that circus screwing up your peace and quiet for what amounts to absolutely nothing of importance.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
The thing is, it just doesn't matter. Not criticizing ChrisE, just expressing a bit of schadenfreude and this and a million other puff pieces.

The Daily Mail only prints stuff that doesn't matter. Since my grandfather passed away, my grandmother reads it every day. Small ads and everything. What my grandmother doesn't know about weedkiller and hair loss treatment isn't worth knowing. But what's great is, she's got something to talk about.

Click on the link above and you can read about a star eating too much and another star not eating enough. You can read about how Maria smiling to a TV camera proves she's soooo over Arnold. Or else she's putting a brave face on it? Whichever way the editor wants to spin it.

Look at the press trucks outside that woman's house. Imagine if you were her neighbour in that cul-de-sac. You'd be apoplectic with rage, wouldn't you? All that circus screwing up your peace and quiet for what amounts to absolutely nothing of importance.

The Daily Mail is so successful because it specifically targets female readers. So what that says about British women is that they are histrionic, bitchy and bigotted. But I already knew that.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
The Daily Mail is so successful because it specifically targets female readers. So what that says about British women is that they are histrionic, bitchy and bigotted. But I already knew that.

Is this the subject of this thread? I just grabbed the link where I first saw this referenced, who cares what it is? I could have just as easily grabbed one off of MSNBC.

The point of my original post was lost because Susan felt the need to delete what I wrote. Apparently I was being insensitive to the attractiveness-challenged vs what somebody like Swarzenegger should be screwing around with if he was gonna do such a thing.

So, let's talk about the Daily Mail instead of the subject I was throwing out, per political correctness of the mod staff. Carry on.

ChrisE said:
Is this the subject of this thread? I just grabbed the link where I first saw this referenced, who cares what it is? I could have just as easily grabbed one off of MSNBC.

The point of my original post was lost because Susan felt the need to delete what I wrote. Apparently I was being insensitive to the attractiveness-challenged vs what somebody like Swarzenegger should be screwing around with if he was gonna do such a thing.

So, let's talk about the Daily Mail instead of the subject I was throwing out, per political correctness of the mod staff. Carry on.

Well, ok, fair enough. I guess I started the stuff about the Daily Mail. It's just that, to me anyway, this story and the Daily Mail are inextricably linked. They exist because of each other. All it boils down to is that here's a guy who does what (and who) he wants. There will be consequences attached to that. It ought just to be their business really and not that of a drive-by readership, so good luck to them sorting it out.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Should we be shocked at another powerful politician having a trail of conquests dragging behind him??

The Daily Mail masquerades as a quality paper, it's really just as trashy as the Sun or other tabloids but pretends other wise. Other than the puzzles it's awful.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
ChrisE said:

Sorry I wandered off the point. *** edited by mod ***

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I know that the radio talk shows were going on and on about this and yes they even brought up the looks of the lady that was allegedly having the affair with Arnold. In some ways the media is making that more the topic then the actual adultery. Both of them were married at the time and if I am reading it correctly they are both still married. Bizzaro world no doubt.

I bet money that these “media” outlets ….”tmz” …”dailymail” ….etc. will be trying to dig up pictures of Her and the baby from 10 years ago. Regardless they will butcher her over this. I think it is sad for the little boy, and sad for the other family members also, it is a product of society these days. The media does not so much focus on the adultery but the looks of one person and the time frame involved.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
no offense intended, but i really don't understand why the attractiveness of the woman in question would be off limits, if done in respectful terms of course. it's like my wife said about her 1st husband stepping out, he should have at least traded up in the looks department. in this case, i think it's a valid point.

Siriuscat said:
Should we be shocked at another powerful politician having a trail of conquests dragging behind him??

The Daily Mail masquerades as a quality paper, it's really just as trashy as the Sun or other tabloids but pretends other wise. Other than the puzzles it's awful.

Inside the entertainment industry on the production side, Arnie's lecherous reputation preceded him by a good 2KM way before any political career.

What's more interesting to me is in his bid to be Governor, at least one of his 'conquests' came forward only for the story to be managed into oblivion by the media. Why he caught a multitude of breaks from the media only to be finally shown for what he really is AFTER leaving office is full of interesting observations.

The physical attractiveness of the woman in question is not a suitable subject of discussion. All further references to this will be deleted as well.

At the risk of having my post deleted...When Arnold ran for governor, at one point someone dug up evidence of his wild party days when he was much younger. In the process of apologizing for it (which I think he should not have had to do), he made the point that he was always interested in the passion that a woman showed for him in bed, not her physical attractiveness. That was what turned him on. I think this affair speaks to that, and says something about him that I should think most women, regardless of how they feel about the affair, would like about him.

As to the affair itself…We all know that males evolved with a desire to impregnate multiple partners, and that while some struggle with (and/or enjoy) this more than others, for many it’s often a very difficult problem to overcome. Though modern Western society has proven very forgiving of other human frailties (gambling, drinking, drugs, etc.), most people, certainly women, seem to resist the idea that a man may have far less choice in the matter than is commonly assumed--that sex can be an addiction, a pathology, rather than simple evil. Something more in need of therapy than disdain.

I might have more sympathy with the mainstream view if women didn’t have their own evolutionary tendencies which get cut far, far more slack. Consider, for example, acquisition of material possessions. When Tiger Woods was revealed to have dozens of mistresses, he was a bad guy, pure and simple. The fact that his wife Elin couldn’t be satisfied with anything less than hundreds of millions of dollars—that she married the guy in the first place in large part because he was so rich—is passed over as normal, healthy behavior.

Yet which behavior is worse? Tiger hurt mainly his wife and his kids, and only them because in our particular culture (not all other cultures), having mistresses is considered cheating, and if your husband or father is cheating, by the rules of the game, you have to feel hurt. We have this fairy-tale notion that everyone has a unique life partner, and if he gives any love to anyone else, that fairy tale is destroyed.

(An aspect of Arnold’s affair that has gone totally unremarked upon by the media is the simple fact that if Maria and his kids had no clue that the affair was going on, who exactly was hurt by it? Their lives were not changed one iota by the affair until they learned of it. The pain only came from knowing, so if Arnold did anything hurtful, it was just finally being honest. The affair itself hurt no one except perhaps Arnold, by reinforcing his addiction—and perhaps, by the stress of leading a double life. And maybe the other woman, who might have felt guilty, but she would have to speak to that).

Elin, on the other hand, reinforced in hundreds of millions of people pure, naked greed, the desire for far more material wealth than is needed for a healthy existence. How many women looked at her and said, I want to marry a rich guy and be like her? Or even, I want to have a lot of money so I can have all the things she has? Nobody as far as I know ever calls her on this. Nobody ever suggests that if Tiger is a sleazeball because he can’t control his sexual desires, Elin is a sleazeball because she can’t control her desire for expensive homes, cars, jewelry, and on and on. This despite the fact that the world is in no danger of running out of sexual partners, whereas it is very much in danger of running out of the resources necessary to support Elin’s kind of lifestyle.

And yes, I know I have made some generalizations here. Some women are very promiscuous, and certainly many men are greedy for material possessions. But even if you don’t want to see these two desires as gender-biassed, the way most people look at them is certainly very different, and I would say, very badly in need of overhaul.

Merckx index said:
At the risk of having my post deleted...When Arnold ran for governor, at one point someone dug up evidence of his wild party days when he was much younger. In the process of apologizing for it (which I think he should not have had to do), he made the point that he was always interested in the passion that a woman showed for him in bed, not her physical attractiveness. That was what turned him on. I think this affair speaks to that, and says something about him that I should think most women, regardless of how they feel about the affair, would like about him.

As to the affair itself…We all know that males evolved with a desire to impregnate multiple partners, and that while some struggle with (and/or enjoy) this more than others, for many it’s often a very difficult problem to overcome. Though modern Western society has proven very forgiving of other human frailties (gambling, drinking, drugs, etc.), most people, certainly women, seem to resist the idea that a man may have far less choice in the matter than is commonly assumed--that sex can be an addiction, a pathology, rather than simple evil. Something more in need of therapy than disdain.

I might have more sympathy with the mainstream view if women didn’t have their own evolutionary tendencies which get cut far, far more slack. Consider, for example, acquisition of material possessions. When Tiger Woods was revealed to have dozens of mistresses, he was a bad guy, pure and simple. The fact that his wife Elin couldn’t be satisfied with anything less than hundreds of millions of dollars—that she married the guy in the first place in large part because he was so rich—is passed over as normal, healthy behavior.

Yet which behavior is worse? Tiger hurt mainly his wife and his kids, and only them because in our particular culture (not all other cultures), having mistresses is considered cheating, and if your husband or father is cheating, by the rules of the game, you have to feel hurt. We have this fairy-tale notion that everyone has a unique life partner, and if he gives any love to anyone else, that fairy tale is destroyed.

(An aspect of Arnold’s affair that has gone totally unremarked upon by the media is the simple fact that if Maria and his kids had no clue that the affair was going on, who exactly was hurt by it? Their lives were not changed one iota by the affair until they learned of it. The pain only came from knowing, so if Arnold did anything hurtful, it was just finally being honest. The affair itself hurt no one except perhaps Arnold, by reinforcing his addiction—and perhaps, by the stress of leading a double life. And maybe the other woman, who might have felt guilty, but she would have to speak to that).

Elin, on the other hand, reinforced in hundreds of millions of people pure, naked greed, the desire for far more material wealth than is needed for a healthy existence. How many women looked at her and said, I want to marry a rich guy and be like her? Or even, I want to have a lot of money so I can have all the things she has? Nobody as far as I know ever calls her on this. Nobody ever suggests that if Tiger is a sleazeball because he can’t control his sexual desires, Elin is a sleazeball because she can’t control her desire for expensive homes, cars, jewelry, and on and on. This despite the fact that the world is in no danger of running out of sexual partners, whereas it is very much in danger of running out of the resources necessary to support Elin’s kind of lifestyle.

And yes, I know I have made some generalizations here. Some women are very promiscuous, and certainly many men are greedy for material possessions. But even if you don’t want to see these two desires as gender-biassed, the way most people look at them is certainly very different, and I would say, very badly in need of overhaul.

wow ..just wow.
I am so sorry that is what you really think.

comparing cheating and infidelity to 'all' women amassing large quantities of 's**t'.
really????

now, what's up with Arnie??

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I would have no problem if Elin wanted me to move in with her and have a relationship, mainly because I could spend some of Tiger's money on boats, trips in the Alps during the tour, Porche's, etc. I would even consider this if I was with somebody else at the time, and if Elin was not as good looking as she is. I would not consider a longterm relationship with Elin if she wasn't rich with Tiger's money.

I believe this would make me some type of hybrid of what MI is describing. Unfortunately, I have just discovered this due to MI's post, and now I will need to set my alarm clock for 1 minute early in the morning so I can be assured of losing sleep over it.

ChrisE said:
I would have no problem if Elin wanted me to move in with her and have a relationship, mainly because I could spend some of Tiger's money on boats, trips in the Alps during the tour, Porche's, etc. I would even consider this if I was with somebody else at the time, and if Elin was not as good looking as she is. I would not consider a longterm relationship with Elin if she wasn't rich with Tiger's money.

I believe this would make me some type of hybrid of what MI is describing. Unfortunately, I have just discovered this due to MI's post, and now I will need to set my alarm clock for 1 minute early in the morning so I can be assured of losing sleep over it.

pure class.
so many of your posts involve declaring 'not losing sleep over it'..
huge theme.

do you think Arnie is 'losing sleep' over any of his classy life decisions.
real integrity

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I think it is obvious which way the OP wanted the thread to go
i totally agree. there is nothing good (as with the previous sexist themes disguised) coming out of this thread. politics in and of itself have enough controversial angles to leave this theme alone.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
pure class.
so many of your posts involve declaring 'not losing sleep over it'..
huge theme.

do you think Arnie is 'losing sleep' over any of his classy life decisions.
real integrity

Perhaps he is losing sleep....I really don't care. How people process things in their life and how they let if effect them is their choice. I have my mirror, and he has his.